Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:27 AM   #1

Default undecided

Canon Powershot SX120 and Sony Cybershot DSC H20 are both pretty comprable point and shoot zooms. Besides differences in batteries and memory (card v. stick), which takes better pics?
dan d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2009, 2:29 PM   #2

Dan D-

I have already answered your questions when you attached this same post to the tail end of another post.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 2:31 PM   #3

dan D-

Here is a copy of my answer:

"dan-

Welcome to the Forum. We're please you dropped by.

The Canon SX-120 and the Sony H-20 are part of the compact zoom class. Both are good to very good cameras, but you quickly discover that the Sony H-20 offers a better feature set with 10X optical zoom, the best automatic and built-in flash unit in class, the ability to take HD video and to zoom while filming, all contained in a very compact camera body.

If I had to make a choice between the two cameras, I would opt for the Sony H-20 camera. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce"
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:24 PM   #4

Thanks to all who have replied. Appreciate you taking the time from your busy schedules.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:59 PM   #5

I tested the H20 and opted to go the DSLR route...BUT I just view3ed the pix I took with the H20 and they are just awesome. I may STILL get an h20 to pack around when i need something smaller.

I only wish that the h20 had a better lens cap system...built in would be perfect.
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 4:13 PM   #6

Hi there, littlejohn-

You are very correct. The images from the Sony H-20, bearing in mind it price, are pretty amazing. Like you suggested I use the H-20 as a great little secondary camera to my DSLR.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:07 PM   #7

[Hi Sara Joyce:

Just returned from buying the Sony H-20! Going through the manual and taking some sample shots -- they look great. Quick Q: Is it possible to turn off the LCD screen without turining off the camera?

Dan

Here is a copy of my answer:

"dan-

Welcome to the Forum. We're please you dropped by.

The Canon SX-120 and the Sony H-20 are part of the compact zoom class. Both are good to very good cameras, but you quickly discover that the Sony H-20 offers a better feature set with 10X optical zoom, the best automatic and built-in flash unit in class, the ability to take HD video and to zoom while filming, all contained in a very compact camera body.

If I had to make a choice between the two cameras, I would opt for the Sony H-20 camera. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce"[/QUOTE]
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:56 PM   #8

dan-

You have me puzzled. Why would you want to turn off the LCD screen, but leave the camera on??

Zipping through my user's manual and doing gymnastics with my H-20, I do not see that the LCD can be turned off while leaving the camera on.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:29 PM   #9

It could be "a while" in between shots and thought it was a way to save on battery life. I also checked out the manual more closely and it looks like I have to power on/off the camera each time I want to use the LCD. Oh well....

Thanks for looking into this as well.

Would you recommend anything to protect the LCD from being scratched or to make it more visible in bright sunlight?

BTW, we had some snow last night and the camera takes great clear shots, despite the high contrast.

QUOTE=mtclimber;1033186]dan-

You have me puzzled. Why would you want to turn off the LCD screen, but leave the camera on??

Zipping through my user's manual and doing gymnastics with my H-20, I do not see that the LCD can be turned off while leaving the camera on.

Sarah Joyce[/QUOTE]
Old Dec 31, 2009, 6:08 PM   #10

Dan-

To shade the LCD when using it in bright sunlight, a Delkin LCD hood (www.Delkin.com) like the one shown in the attached photo Whic is actually a H-3 model) is very handy. An adhesive film across the LCD screen will protect the LCD screen, so will the Delkin LCD hood, as well.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images