Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:47 AM   #1

Default I need advice please

I currently have a panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ10S. I like the camera but here is the problem. My son is autistic and I think when ever I take a picture with the flash it freaks him out. I guess the flash is very bright. He has let other peole take pictures of him and they come out nice but most fo the time it is with a better camera so they do not use a flash or maybe the flash is softer? So I am looking for a new camera that my son will maybe not freak out over. Here is what I am looking for.

Opt zoom of 10X or better
Decent magapixal
Small that can fit in a pocket
priced under 200 but I am open to more expensive ones.
3 inch view would be nice
rocksolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2009, 2:27 PM   #2

rocksolid-

You might want to take a look at the Fuji F-70EXR camera. It is a camera with excellent numerically high ISO capabilities that do allow a photo to be taken when flash is not an option providing there is some natural light available in the room.

My husband who is disabled does not like flash either. And I have found that during the daytime hours in our great room thanks to the benefit of a fairly good amount of natural light that i am able to capture very nice photos with the Fuji F-70EXR camera.

The F-70EXR sells for $199.00. I have attached a sample photo from the F-70EXR camera.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 9:59 AM   #3

Thanks for the advice. The fuji looks like a nice camera and the picture you posted is very nice. I was doing some reading and maybe I need to just up the ISO on my camera for indoor shots. I know noise can become a problem and I also read that SLR cameras handle this better but I don't think there are any small SLR cameras that will fit in my jeans pocket so I am wondering if there are any point and shoot cameras that can handle raising the ISO and not having a big problem with noise.
rocksolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:09 AM   #4

rocksolid-

Here are the P+S cameras now on the market that can handle numerically increased ISO settings without showing a whole lot of noise.

Fuji F-70EXR
Fuji F-200 EXR
Fuji S-200EXR
Canon S-90
Canon G-11

These 5 cameras can produce some relatively clean appearing images at ISO 1600 when printed 4" X 6" size, which would be virtually impossible with the Panasonic LZ-10. I used to own an LZ-8 so I am pretty familiar with the camera's sibling.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 29, 2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:41 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
These 5 cameras can produce very clean (almost noise free images) at ISO 1600
Let us not lead someone astray with wild statements about noise. At 1600 we are not talking almost noise free, but we are talking about quite well handled noise and good for class.

Here are ISO 1600 shots from the S90, S200EXR and F70EXR.

Canon S90, quite a lot of in camera noise reduction so noise looks low but loss of detail. http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...0/IMG_0503.JPG

Fuji S200 EXR http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...r/DSCF7125.JPG

Fuji F70EXR http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...r/DSCF9036.JPG
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:02 PM   #6

Good point, Mark-

You will notice that I edited my post to more accurately reflect P+S image reality.

Have a great day, Mark!

Sarah Joyce