Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:14 AM   #1

Default Looking to Buy first DSLR Camera and Need Help!!!!

First let me say Thanks in advance for any assistance and guidence.
For most of my adult life I have only used a Point and Shoot Camera and by no means do I call myself anything but a Novice when it comes to cameras. But with all that being said the current camera that I have is about 7 years old and I need a new one.
I have been looking at DSLR and like the full size cameras compaired to the compact models, but with so much to choose from the brain has a tendency to lockup with all the choices and features.
So where to go from here, Nikon Cannon Olympus etc: Heres what I am looking for
A good camera that can be used for general pictures( Family Events Holidays vacations etc) not looking to be professional. Easy to use that is upgradeable and has a good battery life.
I am not stuck on a particular brand but am looking for some insight on what models and line that I may should look at to fit my needs. Picutres will mainly be stored on 1TB hard drive and looking to spend some where around 500 to 600 on a camera. Thanks
powelldb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:14 AM   #2

All dSLR manufacturers make cameras and lenses for your price range. There are certain things that some cameras, and some camera brands are better at than others. But given what you say you want to shoot, any dSLR should be capable of giving you good results.

The differences are that Canon and Nikon have the best selection of OEM and third party lenses and accessories (exccept for Nikon's entry level dSLRs, the D3000 and D5000), followed by Sony and Pentax, then the entry level Nikons, and lastly, Olympus. Canon and Nikon (exccept for Nikon's D3000 and D5000) are also better at shooting sports/action/wildlife than the other brands. The down side to Canon and Nikon is that they rely on optical image stabilization in the lenses, making their lenses bigger, heavier and more expensive. (Image stabilization prevents motion blur due to camera shake.) Also, few stabilized lenses are available on the used market. Sony and Pentax, on the other hand, have sensor shift image stabilization in the camera body, so all OEM and third party lenses are stabilized, including all the lenses available in the used market. Olympus also uses sensor shift image stabilization in most of their camera bodies, but none of Olympus' older lenses will fit their dSLRs.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:32 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. I am looking the Rebel XS and XSI currently. Any others that I should consider before making my final decision?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 1:04 PM   #4

powelldb1

Are you aware of the current Canon $200 instant rebate when the camera and Canon 55-250mm lens are purchased together in the same transaction.

Another good deal is that the Olympus E-620 two lens the Olympus 14-42mm lens and the Olympus 40-150mm Lens) kit is selling for just $638 at Amazon. That is also another good deal.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 1:51 PM   #5

What are the opinions of the experts out there on a D3000 for a first time DSLR buyer.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 2:36 PM   #6

I'll step in to say that TCav was wonderful and patient in answering all my questions when I was preparing to buy. He gave me very good, sound advice based on what I needed from a camera. I finally chose a Pentax K-x for several reasons.
  • Body-based IS
  • High ISO capability
  • Smaller than average dSLR size
  • AA battery powered
  • In-camera editing/scene functions to ease the transition from PnS to dSLR
I hope that you find the camera that is perfect for you. Since you do not have a specialty need, almost any entry level dSLR on the market should be plenty capable for you. You may give the Pentax K2000 a look. I was strongly looking at it until the holiday price drops put the K-x into my price range. Also the entry level Sony and Olympus cameras utilize body-based IS. I didn't want Canon or Nikon simply because of the more expensive lens-based IS.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by powelldb1 View Post
What are the opinions of the experts out there on a D3000 for a first time DSLR buyer.
The Nikon D3000 is a good, inexpensive foray into the world of dSLRs, but over time, you will accumulate lenses and accessories for a dSLR. That means that when you outgrow a dSLR, you'll want a replacement that can use all the stuff you've accumulated for it. So selecting a dSLR is almost secondary to selecting a system.

Since your needs aren't currently very specific, perhaps you should go to a good camera store to try out the models in your budget, and then go with your gut.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:19 PM   #8

dansamy-

Well, you hit all the high points quite nicely. The Pentax Kx is a good buy right now. My only complaint is that the Kx does not show in the optical viewfinder where or on which of the 11 points in the focus system that it actually landed upon to confirm the focus.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 5:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
dansamy-

Well, you hit all the high points quite nicely. The Pentax Kx is a good buy right now. My only complaint is that the Kx does not show in the optical viewfinder where or on which of the 11 points in the focus system that it actually landed upon to confirm the focus.

Sarah Joyce
I suppose that could get kind of annoying. I'm still reading the manual. I think there's a method to select a specific point manually, but I am not sure.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 5:57 PM   #10

All the mention camera would serve your need. I would add the olympus e520 to the list as it is at a great price for the kit. If go with any of the olympus, they uses compact flash card and xd card, but I would go with the compact flash card.

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-E520-D...2044594&sr=8-2

As mention the D3000 will not afford as much growth if you find that you want to go further with dslr. Your are also limited to AF-s and AF-i series lenses from nikon, or 3rd party lenses to support the d3000. It is the same issue with the D5000. That said, they have some very good af-s af-i lenses out there.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote