Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 28, 2009, 6:11 PM   #1

Default First DSLR, Suggestions?

Hey everyone!

I discovered this forum (or site, rather) by reading the reviews here, and I thought I could use some help from you guys here.

So I just had a sudden interest in cameras like never before. My first camera was an SD100 I got for Christmas back in 2003.

It was probably my only camera as I just mainly took pictures with my iPhone. But I saw my friend with a Rebel XT and I was amazed by the superior picture quality that it has. So I was thinking, I need to get one for myself as I want to take some awesome pictures like him.

I've been searching around, and I saw two cameras that interested me. Keep in mind that I would like to spend around $500 for my first DSLR, and then slowly get some better lens as I progress.

First, the Canon Rebel XS. Apparently it's one of the budget DSLR's from Canon, and from a few reviews, it looks like a pretty good camera.

And second, the Nikon D3000. It's the first DSLR that caught my eye, and I might think the Guide mode can easily help me, although it has no Live View.

Both of the cameras come with a 18-55mm lens. They both do not have IS or VR. Any idea what that is, because when I'm looking at the IS and VR variant, they cost much, much more.

Keep in mind I'm still a newcomer from a really old P&S, so I'd appreciate it if you guys went easy on me.

Thanks alot for your help guys.
FieryCoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2009, 6:18 PM   #2

IS/VR is Image Stabilization or Vibration Reduction. Basically it wiggles the optics in response to a user's unsteady heands and helps keep the picture from being too blurry. Canon and Nikon use lens-based IS. Sony, Olympus and Pentax use body-based IS. Body-based versions function by basically wiggling the sensor a bit.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 6:42 PM   #3

I would go a step up and look at the canon xsi if you want to stick with canon it is packaged with the 18-55 IS lens. The Pentax K-x and olympus 520 is at a really good price and 620 are good options also just a bit more all have in body stabilization. Is price the biggest concern?
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 6:51 PM   #4

fiery-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

As has already been mentioned, Nikon and Canon place the IS (Image Stabilization in the lenses for which they charge for the IS in each and every lens sold.

In contrast Olympus, Pentax and Sony have the IS feature built into the camera body. All of the entry level DSLR cameras are capable of excellent image quality. In addition, please keep in mind that you are essentially buying into a system. As once you acquire the first DSLR body and several lenses, you will almost invariably, purchase a new and more advance DSLR body and move forward with the lenses that you already own.

The Pentax KX DSLR has just received a glowing professional review. The same is true for the Nikon D-3000 DSLR camera. The canon XS has consistently received great reviews, and the same is true for the Olympus E-620 and the Canon XSi DSLR cameras.

You have not listed where you live, but there are several year end rebates at least here in the USA.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
fiery-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

As has already been mentioned, Nikon and Canon place the IS (Image Stabilization in the lenses for which they charge for the IS in each and every lens sold.

In contrast Olympus, Pentax and Sony have the IS feature built into the camera body. All of the entry level DSLR cameras are capable of excellent image quality. In addition, please keep in mind that you are essentially buying into a system. As once you acquire the first DSLR body and several lenses, you will almost invariably, purchase a new and more advance DSLR body and move forward with the lenses that you already own.

The Pentax KX DSLR has just received a glowing professional review. The same is true for the Nikon D-3000 DSLR camera. The canon XS has consistently received great reviews, and the same is true for the Olympus E-620 and the Canon XSi DSLR cameras.

You have not listed where you live, but there are several year end rebates at least here in the USA.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks alot for the replies, and to dansamy for the definition.

I'm from Canada, and that probably means the Canon rebates will not work over here, I am guessing?

I've seen the Olympus cameras myself, and I just don't like the feel to it for some reason, and prefer the grip of both the Rebel XS and the D3000. I do, however, like the pricing point of the E-520 as it looks like a great budget DSLR.

There's still one thing that puzzles me. The Image Stabilization isn't really needed for me in my opinion, because I think that I can manage to take some steady shots.

I like some features about the Canon, such as the live viewfinder, compatibility with the lenses.
However, I like the D3000's 11-point AF focus and the Guide Mode.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:23 PM   #6

The IS feature can save some lower light shots where a flash is not advisable and you need a longer shutter speed. It does come in handy and may increase the number photos worth keeping after a day of shooting.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 29, 2009 at 6:33 AM. Reason: left out a word.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:57 PM   #7

Canon XSi is a better camera than the XS for not much more money. Amazon.com has the best deal on camera. Check them out before you make a purchase. Canon lenses have image stabilization built-in. The new Canon DSLR comes with the 18-55mm IS lens which is better than the older non-IS standard zoom. The Sony A230 may be another good budget buy which can be purchased online for about $400. Olympus E520 is another good buy, their 2 lenses combo is only $500.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCKSer View Post
Canon XSi is a better camera than the XS for not much more money. Amazon.com has the best deal on camera. Check them out before you make a purchase. Canon lenses have image stabilization built-in. The new Canon DSLR comes with the 18-55mm IS lens which is better than the older non-IS standard zoom. The Sony A230 may be another good budget buy which can be purchased online for about $400. Olympus E520 is another good buy, their 2 lenses combo is only $500.
I can't buy from Amazon.com as I'm from Canada, so I would have to use Amazon.ca
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieryCoD View Post
I can't buy from Amazon.com as I'm from Canada, so I would have to use Amazon.ca
Check out Future shop...a pretty good deal on the Xsi is on.. $630 includes bag, UV filter and extra battery its Boxing week special. The boxing DAY special was $30 less..($600)
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
Check out Future shop...a pretty good deal on the Xsi is on.. $630 includes bag, UV filter and extra battery its Boxing week special. The boxing DAY special was $30 less..($600)
I was looking at that one too. Thanks!