Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 28, 2009, 5:41 PM   #1

Default Camera choosing meltdown

Hi, I'm looking for a new digital camera. My previous one is several years old and no longer will even turn on...
At this point I'm looking for an easy to use point and shoot, w/ decent megapixels, higher optical zoom,video recording w/ zoom is cool and a camera that is smaller in size. I do not like the newer super-small cameras b/c I just feel like they're difficult to hold and I would probably damage it too easily. I'm sure if I get the right camera I'd definitely be interested in playing w/ controls/features, but as of the moment I'm not super camera saavy.
The majority of my pictures will probably be animals/wildlife and nature, and I guess I'll probably be forced to take some pictures of people as well. So, most of the photographs will be taken outside, though I would like to be able to take pictures indoors as well and get good quality.
I think I would be comfortable spending upto $350 for the right camera, though if there is something slightly more expensive and absolutely worth it...I'd do it.
Brands I've looked at/considered: Canon, Panasonic, Fuji, and Sony...

Thank you in advance for the help/advice. I sincerely appreciate it.
Julie
Julie_256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:48 PM   #2

How high of an optical zoom are we taking about 4x or something higher like 8 to 12 time zoom?
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:15 PM   #3

I'd like a min. of 5x, but a higher optical zoom would be better. Thanks

Last edited by Julie_256; Dec 28, 2009 at 8:36 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:39 PM   #4

The canon sx200 is not to small and not to bulky and still can be a pocket camera, it has 12x zoom, 12mp, and HD video at 720. It also has good low light ability for a point and shoot with an iso of 3200 and is image stabilized. You might want to visit a store to see how it feels in your hand.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:45 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie_256 View Post
The majority of my pictures will probably be animals/wildlife and nature, and I guess I'll probably be forced to take some pictures of people as well. So, most of the photographs will be taken outside, though I would like to be able to take pictures indoors as well and get good quality.
I think I would be comfortable spending upto $350 for the right camera, though if there is something slightly more expensive and absolutely worth it...I'd do it.
As you mention animals/wildlife then I think you will want an option that will give you quite a lot of reach.

I would personally look at the Canon SX20 or the Panasonic FZ35. Photo quality is probably slightly better from the Panasonic but the Canon has a little more reach and the ability to add an external flash if you desire later in live to give the possibility of more creative shooting.

The best thing to do is handle the cameras and see how they feel and how you like the menu system.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 5:31 PM   #6

Thank you both so much for your advice. I had considered both of the Canons mentioned, but haven't seen the Panasonic. I'll check that one out and try to decide between the three. Again, thank you so much for your help and expert advice!