Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 29, 2009, 1:35 PM   #1

Default It's the lens right?

Not sure this is in the right forum.

Before Christmas I was looking for a 1st DSLR to use as a walking around camera and to take shots of my kids playing t-ball and softball. Some pretty smart people here pretty much convinced me that of all the cameras I was looking at, the xsi was the way to go. I'm still leaning that way. I'm not looking for professional qality pics just good pics I can have of the family and kids. Now that Christmass is over I'm getting back into the buying mode. It seems that the lens is what makes the real difference in pictures at the entry level.
- Are the canon kit lens and consumer zoom lens really better for my purposes than the Nikon?
-Since I would be using the same lens would there be much difference if I go with the xti?
-Will the image quality really be noticeable between the XSI and a camera such as the D3000 or The Sony 350?

And a little off topic but I would really love to see your opionions on something I came across on another site. At kenrockwell.com, Ken says the Nikon D40 is the best and only camera anyone new to DSLR needs. He went on in another article to call the D3000 "Nikons worst dslr ever". I personally liked the D3000 and have seen great reviews. I really like the price point and if I thought it would provide the same image quality as the canon I wouold probably buy it. Can it really be worse than the D40 considering all the upgrades to it?
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3000.htm
gman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2009, 1:44 PM   #2
Super Moderator

let me see if i can address all of these.

1. the consumer canon and nikon lenses are not different in quality.

2. the xti uses older image processors, i would not go with it. the xsi is worth the price difference.

3. there probably would not be a large difference in image quality between the xsi and the d3000, but the xsi is slightly better, as expected being the 2nd tier of entry level dslrs, vs the d3000 being 1st tier. they both do a little better than the sony 350, especially at higher iso.

really, if you personally liked the d3000, it is a fine entry level camera, and the differences between it and the xsi are really quite small. so if you personally liked it, by all means go for it.

kenrockwell is very opinionated. the d40 was a fine entry level camera, and so is the d3000. i have seen no where else any reason for his opinion that the d40>d3000.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:16 PM   #3

In addition to the comments that Hards80 made, I'd like to addd that the XSi has a better autofocus system for shooting your kids playing t-ball and softball than the ones in the D3000 and the A350.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:30 PM   #4

The canon lens preform very well in the kits. And take really nice photos and will serve you well.

The D3000 is a bit behind both the sony a350 and the XSi as it was mention they are a higher tier camera, and they have more ability to grow with you if you find that you want to further you foray into photography.

But you get a camera base of just reviews, I would suggest going to a shop and handling the camera you are interested in. Ergo are an important aspect of the purchase.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:30 PM   #5

Thanks guys. I was jsut really surprised at the hate for the D3000 from Rockwell. Everything I had read gave it great reviews.
Would you reccomend the 55-250mm IS lens with the canon or is there another one in that price range worth looking at. Alternatively is there a zoom lens for the Nikon you would recommend in the same approximate price range? know there is a rebate on the Canon now so that is likely what I will do but I'm still exploring my options.
gman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:35 PM   #6

the canon 55-250mm IS is a very good lens, it is a good general purpose zoom. And with the canon rebate for the 2 kit lens. It is a steal.

the nikon eq would be the 55mm - 200mm f/4-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX VR . It is a little short on the far end the the canon.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote