Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 29, 2009, 9:29 PM   #1

Default Lumix LX3 or ZS3... again

LX3 or ZS3 - still deciding on my new camera. Price or zoom are not relavant for me. My 2 main deciders are low light performance, and video performance.

The ZS3 wins with video (HD, zoom with video, etc), but the LX3 has better low light photography (so seems to be the consensus). I am very torn, and would appreciate any opinions or direction.

Few questions:
- Does the ZS3 have an adjustable flash level setting like the ZX3? This would help very much with lower light photos
- Do the LX3 or ZS3 videos allow simple editing (cut out parts) in a simple desktop software like the GF-1 does?

I appreciate any input on helping me make a decision. The LX3 is also quite a bit bigger and has the lens cap - both big downers for me.
pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2009, 9:39 AM   #2

pnut-

The ZS-3 has excellent image quality outdoors and does reasonable HD video. Indoor the image quality is only fair to poor due to the very small, and very weak built-in flash unit. The ZS-3's high ISO capabitlity is also just fair to poor.

The same problems are faced by the LX-3, although the faster F 2.0 lens does offer some help in the high ISO capability category.

Since you are considering Panasonic cameras, the GH-1 and the GF-1 would be much more capable. if very small camera size and short zoom range is the consideration, then you should add the Canon S-90 to the cameras you are considering, as well.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 2:52 PM   #3

Sarah, thank you.

I ruled out the S90 after seeing the video specifications. Since video is important to me, the S90 is out.

In fact, if the LX3 had the video quality of the ZS3, the decision would be made. The GF-1 quickly went to the bottom of my list when I found out that it has NO IS unless you use the 14-45 lens (which I would not). That was a problem.
pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 6:52 PM   #4

Well, pnut-

That leaves the Panasonic GH-1 which uses the Lummix 14-140 lens which is 28mm to 280mm in 35mm terms, the Canon G-11, and the Panasonic ZS-3 or LX-3, and I am not in favor of the last two, the ZS-3 and the LX-3, for the reasons I have already stated.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 30, 2009 at 6:55 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote