Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 31, 2009, 1:41 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The loudness of the AF motor is due to the lens, not the body.
I'm aware of that. I was specifically referring to the line of lenses for each system. I've heard specifically that the Nikon's silent wave technology is super quiet in comparison to others. I've also heard a few (which could be somewhat deemed "camera snobs") that the canon lenses are a bit louder.

Like i said though, I dont really have much of a base for comparison. Obviously, if the Canon lenses sounded like a garbage truck everytime you tried to AF, they wouldnt be very desirable.
fbords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 1:42 PM   #92
Super Moderator

you can always pick up the cheap 50mm 1.8 if you want a fast prime to start with. it is only about 75$ and is decently sharp. it is plastic and focus is loud, but it lets you get started with a fast prime for low-light or shallow depth of field.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 1:44 PM   #93

The ef 85mm is an excellent prime. I use it all the time for family fotos, it does a fantastic job in low light without a flash being a 1.8. And I am using to create a mosiac of building tops for a home decoration of places we have visited. And the fotos from it is very sharp.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 1:51 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
you can always pick up the cheap 50mm 1.8 if you want a fast prime to start with. it is only about 75$ and is decently sharp. it is plastic and focus is loud, but it lets you get started with a fast prime for low-light or shallow depth of field.
this is exactly my point. $75 for a highly recommended (from what I read) lens is fantastic. Where have you found it for $75? I haven't seen it for less than $99.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 1:53 PM   #95

ebay has them all the time used.

You can find them at some store for 90 new.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 1:54 PM   #96

Thanks for the links JimC. This is why I said "small viewfinder" means different things to different people. My concern is not magnification at all. My issue with the A380 is that the image edges show vignetting by the small eyepiece. I cannot see the entire frame without shifting my eye around. If anything I would prefer lower magnification to deal with this problem. Anyways, that Neocamera chart does make it look like there is hope for the new A500.

goggles
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 1:56 PM   #97
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbords View Post
this is exactly my point. $75 for a highly recommended (from what I read) lens is fantastic. Where have you found it for $75? I haven't seen it for less than $99.
i guess it is going for 99$ now, or 89$ if you don't mind an imported model. still pretty much a steal.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 2:10 PM   #98

I agree. Let me ask this. Since I'm coming from a P90 superzoom, with a large focal range, I'm curious about how far away from the subject you need to be for portraits like these with the 50mm 1.8?

Baby - http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...4c8e4110.L.jpg
Boy - http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41E3goLbIOL.jpg
Old Dec 31, 2009, 2:16 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbords View Post
I'm aware of that. I was specifically referring to the line of lenses for each system. I've heard specifically that the Nikon's silent wave technology is super quiet in comparison to others. I've also heard a few (which could be somewhat deemed "camera snobs") that the canon lenses are a bit louder.

Like i said though, I dont really have much of a base for comparison. Obviously, if the Canon lenses sounded like a garbage truck everytime you tried to AF, they wouldnt be very desirable.
the Kit lenses are not as loud as a garbage truck,

But since you have weigh the options. A bit louder lens, as the ef 50mm 1.8 mkII is or get the very expensive nikon off the bat. And honestly when i posted the shot of my pet, the motor did not startle him, and I was relatively close. It would not be the lens I would use at a wedding though.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 2:19 PM   #100

One thing you get with the t1i over the d5000, you get a iso of 12800. Which can be helpful in very low light saturations. Noise shot is better then no shot sometimes.