Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 31, 2009, 2:25 PM   #101
Super Moderator

the 50 1.8 will be equivelent to 80mm on the 1.6x crop factor associated with the t1i (similar for all aps-c sensor dslrs).

i am not sure if you can tell what the focal length is on your p90, as i am not sure what information you have access to in your lcd/evf. but it would be pretty close to a 3x zoom on your p90. if you can get that information in your lcd, just zoom your p90 out to 3x and that will give you an idea of the fov of the 50 1.8 on a t1i.

your pictures do not have the exif data on them, so i can't tell for sure, but i dont think it would be too far off the baby picture.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 2:32 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
the 50 1.8 will be equivelent to 80mm on the 1.6x crop factor associated with the t1i (similar for all aps-c sensor dslrs).

i am not sure if you can tell what the focal length is on your p90, as i am not sure what information you have access to in your lcd/evf. but it would be pretty close to a 3x zoom on your p90. if you can get that information in your lcd, just zoom your p90 out to 3x and that will give you an idea of the fov of the 50 1.8 on a t1i.

your pictures do not have the exif data on them, so i can't tell for sure, but i dont think it would be too far off the baby picture.
I dont recall seeing it in the display. those pics were user submitted samples from Amazon for that lens. 3x zoom isnt too bad. I could hope to be around 3-5ft or so then to get a decent head/partial body shot.

With the option of the cheap 50mm, I think that would be a must have for my needs as well as the lesser expensive (compared to the Nikon) 85mm 1.8 for my other family shots. My thoughts are that those 2 lenses plus the kit lens should be all i need for a while.
fbords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 2:36 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
and here I thought you were a canon man...
My only alleigence is to me, my family, and my friends, not the people who make or sell the products I buy.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 3:59 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbords View Post
I dont recall seeing it in the display. those pics were user submitted samples from Amazon for that lens. 3x zoom isnt too bad. I could hope to be around 3-5ft or so then to get a decent head/partial body shot.

With the option of the cheap 50mm, I think that would be a must have for my needs as well as the lesser expensive (compared to the Nikon) 85mm 1.8 for my other family shots. My thoughts are that those 2 lenses plus the kit lens should be all i need for a while.
The combination of the 4 lenses should work for you for a while. It really is a good setup.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 5:31 PM   #105

I finally found a place with a T1i on display. I'm going to head over there tonight and play around for a while. I'll heep you posted.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 6:50 PM   #106

Quote:
I finally found a place with a T1i on display. I'm going to head over there tonight and play around for a while. I'll heep you posted.
Good luck.

And if they have it and you like it BUY IT THERE!

Reward them for providing the service.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 11:45 AM   #107

So I had about a good 45 mins to play with a T1i yesterday before the place closed. I must say, for an entry level system I was very impressed. I also played with a D90 for comparison (to see how it stacked up against a higher model) and for my needs I'd say the T1i performed better. The only think I liked better about the D90 was the top facing monochrome LCD. Granted, my demo time was spent solely in a poorly lit store, but the results were impressive. Tcav, I see your point about the AF. It's really fast and accurate on this model. Noticeably better than the D5000. The model also molds to my hands very well and certain things about the layout felt good. I loved the position of the scroll wheel, buttons were where my hand wanted them to be.

Unfortunately, they were out of stock, so I'm going back next week to demo 1 more time and if it's still a favorite, I think I'm gonna snag it.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 12:13 PM   #108

If you are going to snag it there, see if you can work out a deal with the ef 50mm f1.8 mkII. If you bundle it, it may save you some money.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 12:15 PM   #109
Super Moderator

Quote:
So I had about a good 45 mins to play with a T1i yesterday before the place closed. I must say, for an entry level system I was very impressed. I also played with a D90 for comparison (to see how it stacked up against a higher model) and for my needs I'd say the T1i performed better. The only think I liked better about the D90 was the top facing monochrome LCD. Granted, my demo time was spent solely in a poorly lit store, but the results were impressive. Tcav, I see your point about the AF. It's really fast and accurate on this model. Noticeably better than the D5000. The model also molds to my hands very well and certain things about the layout felt good. I loved the position of the scroll wheel, buttons were where my hand wanted them to be.

Unfortunately, they were out of stock, so I'm going back next week to demo 1 more time and if it's still a favorite, I think I'm gonna snag it.
this is why we often suggest people head down and try different models out. it is often how the kit feels in your hand and how the layout feels to you that can easily make or break a decision.

i am glad you found the T1i fitting your likings and I am sure it will serve you well.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 6:03 PM   #110

Good idea. I know they sell the 50mm as I saw it in the display case for about $110. I may take that for a test drive next week too.

I can honestly say that this forum was invaluable in the decision making process. I came in looking at one model that I thought would be a good fit, and ended up deciding on something completely different that I never even considered prior.