Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 30, 2009, 1:23 AM   #11

If you print with a 12mp or greater camera, you will have no issue up to 8x10.

On resale of the body, it seem to be about 40-50% of what the original cost was if sold within one model cycle on ebay.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 30, 2009 at 1:26 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 1:27 AM   #12

you say the D5000 lens limitations bothered you. what do you mean exactly?
fbords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 2:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The pentax k-x was not out. It is a bit behind the next tier cameras like the canon 50d, nikon d90, olympus e-30 and pentex k-7, but that is to be expected giving they are a higher grade camera.
Good comments to the OP...my question is are you saying that you beleive that the k-x is better then your T1i?
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 6:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
Good comments to the OP...my question is are you saying that you beleive that the k-x is better then your T1i?
No, all I am saying that the k-x is worth considering. It will perform up to par with the other cameras in it's class. And since I only recently got a chance to play with it in the store only. I really did not get a chance to find out where it's strength and weaknesses are. But since the ergo fits my brother well, pretty nice photo and build quality, and it has some nice features. I feel that it will serve my brother well.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 30, 2009 at 6:57 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 6:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbords View Post
you say the D5000 lens limitations bothered you. what do you mean exactly?
I do not like that fact that it is only to af-s and af-i type lenses, and will not let you use the whole nikon line up like the d90. But they do make some good af-s and af-i lenses and the 3rd party makers also have some decent lenses for it.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 30, 2009 at 6:57 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 9:00 AM   #16

The D5000 is 12MP, while the D3000 is only 10MP. The LCD display on the back of the D5000 is articulated, and has 'Live View' which lets you compose the image using the LCD Display in addition to the optical viewfinder. It can also record movies. It also has multiple levels of noise reduction, while, in the D3000, noise reduction is either on or off. The D5000 also has an HDMI output so it can be connected to, and its photos and videos can be displayed on an HD Television. Lastly, the D5000 has more scene modes, more exposure bracketing options, and more Active D-Lighting options than the D3000.
The D5000 is a more capable and more customizable camera than the D3000, but it costs ~$200 more. But, of course, it's not as good as the Nikon D90 which costs another ~$200 more. It never ends. (Well, actually it does, at the D3X at ~$8,000.)

I would like to add that, for 8x10 prints, I've had good luck with images I've captured with a 6 MP dSLR, so you should get good results from either of these cameras.

Further, for shooting wildlife and portraits, the limitation on the availability of lenses for either of these could be a problem. And for shooting wildlife, the autofocus system in these cameras isn't as good as can be found on some others. The Canon XSi and T1i come immediately to mind.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 9:16 AM   #17

Let me say this - TCAV listed a number of features the D5000 offers over the D3000. MP count should not factor into your decision process in any way shape or form. If you're even thinking "gosh will 10mp be ok" don't sweat it. 10mp is more than enough for most every shooter out there. Do you realize a good portion of the world's professional photojournalists and sports photographers still use 8mp and 10mp cameras? Concentrate on the other features and if they're worth the extra money to you. But for 99.9% of your photos the extra 2mp won't make a bit of difference at ordinary (8x10 / a4 ) print sizes or normal viewing.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:09 AM   #18

after looking around it pretty much seems that the D5000 and the T1i are pretty even and it seems like the deciding factor for most is interface design and button layout amongst these 2. Unless of course, the articulating screen of the D5000 is a must have.

That being said, in my case, the AF-S lens issue shouldnt be a big deal (for now). Like i said, I'll be mainy shooting the kids and some landscapes while on vacation and so forth. I do plan on picking up a NIKKOR DX 55-200mm VR AF-S lens in the future to broaden the range of shots, but have no real plans for prime lenses. By the time I'd be ready for some hardware like that, I think I'd be in the market for a new body anyway.

TCav, you mentioned that the AF system on the D5000 isnt as good for shooting wildlife, etc. Is the 11pt AF system w/3D focus tracking not really as effective as they claim?
fbords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:18 AM   #19

It's not that the Nikon isn't good. It's that the Canon is better at maintaining focus on moving subjects. The autofocus system in the D3000/D5000 is a big improvement over the earlier D40/D40X/D60, but it's still not as good as the Canon XSi and especially the T1i.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:07 PM   #20

Quote:
... deciding factor for most is interface design and button layout ...
Instead of the T1i it is the SXi that I have been shopping against the D5000. Finally got to spend some time playing with both in the store. I was quite surprised at just how different the control layouts are for these cameras. I mean, both will get the job done, but they sure take different routes to get you there! Still pondering that bit.

A little disappointed that both cameras, even the more pricey D5000, seem to lack custom or user configurable modes. Of course you can set up custom image treatments for sharpness, saturation, etc. Even my Sony A200 can do that. But not a packaged shooting mode for AF type, ISO limits, etc. Unless I missed something.

no help Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote