Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:02 PM   #61

“The lens options are literally the only thing keepign me from getting the D5000 hands down.”

If you really want the D5000, buy it - you know you want it, so why settle? Why kick yourself 6 months later? And don’t worry about lens availability - Nikon has plenty...how many do you plan on buying? The D5000 can use most of Nikon’s current lens lineup. Some of them will not enable autofocus - but so what? You can always focus manually - photographers did that for many years...and some still do.

But, if you insist on only using AF-S lenses...looking at the current Nikon lens lineup...

Wide angle zoom - all but one are AF-S
Standard zoom - all but one are AF-S
High power zoom - all but three are AF-S
Super telephoto - every one is AF-S

Oh, and the 35mm f/1.8 is an AF-S.
As well as the 50mm f/1.4.

And if Nikon doesn’t make one, you can bet someone else will (if they haven’t already).

Enjoy your new D5000.

The Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:12 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbords View Post
Would be portraits of my children mostly
35mm is short for children's portraits. So is 50mm. That leaves the 85mm, which would be excellent, but it won't autofocus on the D5000.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:22 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinniethehun View Post
If you really want the D5000, buy it - you know you want it, so why settle? Why kick yourself 6 months later? And donít worry about lens availability - Nikon has plenty...how many do you plan on buying? The D5000 can use most of Nikonís current lens lineup. Some of them will not enable autofocus - but so what? You can always focus manually - photographers did that for many years...and some still do
That's precisely the reason im having such an issue deciding. I dont want to just buy the D5000 then not be able to afford the lenses that I truely need. That would cause me to kick myself 6 months later. I'm not looking to get many lenses. I figure the 18-55mm that it comes with should suffice for day to day shooting, but am looking for a 50mm or 85mm f/1.8 to take portraits of family (as recommended by JohnG). The hangup with the D5000 isnt the availability of lenses. As you said, they exist. My issue with the lenses is twofold:

1) an 85mm lens for the Nikon runs about $500, rather than the Canon 85mm at about $350
2) i understand that photographers have been manually focusing for years. However, I'm a novice, and I will be photographing young children, who refuse to sit still long enough for me to get the focus right.

I'm even considering taking a step down from my initial choice and getting an XSi just so I can have the flexibility later. Still not really sure what's the best choice for me at this point.
fbords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:23 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
35mm is short for children's portraits. So is 50mm. That leaves the 85mm, which would be excellent, but it won't autofocus on the D5000.
I think i already know the answer to this, but how difficult would it be really to take handheld candid shots of my kids with a manual focus 85mm?
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:28 PM   #65

CANDID?

Forget it.

They move too fast, the depth of field is way too shallow, and manually focusing a dSLR in low light is next to impossible, especially one with a pentamirror and not a pentaprism.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:28 PM   #66

thats what I figured...
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:31 PM   #67

There's the Canon. Their 85/1.8 autofocuses on all their bodies.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:34 PM   #68

so it looks like my choices are:

- affordable Nikon D5000 with higher priced lenses (for AF-S)
- Canon T1i which will blow my budget, but will allow for more affordable lenses in the future
- affordable Canon XSi which will allow for affordable lenses, but feel like I'm settling on lower quality than the other 2 choices.

Does anyone have any opinions on which seems like a flat out dumb decision? On one hand if I get the T1i and decide i dont need/want the 85mm or other lens, I'll have unnecessarily spent $150. Whereas, if I just get the D5000, and I want a prime lens, I'll have to cough up at least an extra $150 for a compatible lens that may not be as good. Is either decision more logical?

Last edited by fbords; Dec 30, 2009 at 8:53 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 9:01 PM   #69

"Handheld candid" is very different from "portrait".

If video capability is desired, throw out the XSi.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 9:02 PM   #70

Well, video isn't a biggy for me. And I'm no sports shooter. So I'm taking the econo route and making my short list XSi vs D5000. Contrary to a lot of whinning on (other) camera forums, I didn't find the XSi to be all that "plasticy". Both strike me as very nice cameras. And a tough call.

no help Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote