Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:26 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinniethehun View Post
"Handheld candid" is very different from "portrait".

If video capability is desired, throw out the XSi.

the Hun
I used "candid" because my children are incapable of sitting for a portrait. So inevitably, I'd have to photograph them when they aren't looking.
fbords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 9:19 PM   #72

Have you considered any of the other brands? Olympus, Sony or Pentax?
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 9:34 PM   #73

I haven't. For a couple of reasons. One being that from the research I've done, it seems to me these 2 brands seem to consistently stand above the rest, in value and ease of use. Another reason being that amongst these 2 brands, there are a lot to compare. I honestly, can't see throwing another hat into the ring, unless there was a hands-down stand out.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:04 PM   #74

Canon and Nikon are the giants of the industry, no doubt. But Olympus has been building great cameras for years and then totally designed a new digital standard when they threw their hat into the dSLR ring. Sony inherited Minolta's years of camera expertise and technology and parlayed that into a respectable dSLR line. Pentax dSLR's are able to utilize just about any Pentax lens ever made, a huge advantage in the used lens market. Canon/Nikon aren't the only game in town when it comes to worthy dSLRs. I just think it's worth looking at all your options. Both for your immediate and future needs.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 2:38 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
Well, video isn't a biggy for me. And I'm no sports shooter. So I'm taking the econo route and making my short list XSi vs D5000. Contrary to a lot of whinning on (other) camera forums, I didn't find the XSi to be all that "plasticy". Both strike me as very nice cameras. And a tough call.

no help Kelly
Kelly the only reason I am considering the T1i over the XSi....is iso. I want to shoot low light at times and i am thinking shooting animals on the move is much like sports...so i am leaning to get as fast as I can..and the few dollars difference its seems logical to not pass it up.

But I really don't know if the XSi wouldn't be adequate either, 2 weeks trial doesn't tell the whole story..sadly.
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 3:06 AM   #76

I'll try and answer what I can...and others will have to provide the technical details...I'm just good at telling 'other' people how to decide..(I just wish i could listen to me once in a while...)LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbords View Post
Agreed. I am guilty of forgetting how much something cost me after a month and wondering why i didnt just spend the money. This typically happens after the return period expires. With that being said, I have to ask the following questions:

1) If I over extend myself and get the T1i, I can use any Canon lens and have the ability of AF? Including a 50mm f/1.8 or 85mm lens as JohnG described, correct?

Yes..the beauty of the canon line is that the lens are transferrable. That's the distinct advantage over the D5000. If you buy the XSi and upgrade later your lens are fine.. With the D5000...you're limited. However if you get the D90 (upgrade from D5000) you can use the whole Nikon line.

The question really is...how many lens are you going to need ? How serious IS this hobby? The D5000 and a couple of lens may well last you several years and by then Nikon will have the D500,000 and you likely can use your lens.

Remember one thing no one knows what the future holds, so buying for the future is a gamble. However past experience tells us...

2) I've only heard of things I might feel I missed out on if I got the D5000 over the T1i. What might I wish I had if i do in fact go with the Canon T1i?

I donno...money??? lol...

3) Is the T1i as user friendly as the D5000?

I hope so..I am gonna try it out soon...my feeling is..yes.as it is still higher entry level...

4) Is manual focus on shots that I would use a 50mm 1.8 or 85mm 1.8 really worth $100? I ask because I've never tried MF with that type of shot.

The only way i can answer that is.....I can take a shot MF but I certainly wouldn't want to not have the AF option...based on the shots I might want to have. My personal thoughts are....I like having as many possibilities available to me...I'd hate to miss that once in a life shot, because I didn't think I needed it....I'll miss enough because of my skills.

Aside from all this, a big factor may be that I would be buying the T1i sight unseen. There are no real camera shops in my area per se, so I would resort to going to Best Buy, or the like to need to try them in hand. Unfortunately, there are no department stores within 100 miles of my zipcode that carry the Canon T1i. Not really sure why I went this long without checking that out first.

Hmmm.. where are you??? Using the Internet seems to be pretty good with returns etc. In canada I just ordered from Future shop and shipping was free. I can return it to the local Future shop if I decide too.
Other posters suggested other cameras, and they are good as well...many have said here...you will get good pix with just about any DSLR sold today..so it's a question of what you want to shoot.....again back to your matrix.. and slide into Steve's reviews or dpreview.com

BTW I tried the oly...nice camera...the highlight for me was the lens, AND the fact that the tilting screen turns inside out so that the LCD portion is facing inside and protected (important to me on horseback...)

BUT its low light focus was in my view..poor. The lower grade A230 sony was much better in that regard. And btw (again) the A230 is a cheap but nice camera, great lens and nice pix (probably the best value for money today..) in my case I thought I would out grow it too soon. (but I could be wrong about that too...)

Its not an easy decision by any means...I suffer from 'paralysis of analysis' too much so. I had to just set aside my decision process for a while (waiting for the K-X to come out too)..but in the end I simply decided...go for a little better for a few dollars more, and get most of the 'needs' covered. (ie ;fast AF) and go with it...some one said here...'they are a large number of people taking GREAT pix with cameras half as good as the one we are talking about'...that brought me back closer to reality...
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 7:21 AM   #77

Quote:
Would be portraits of my children mostly
If it is a pose portraits, where they are sitting or standing still. The 35mm will work, as all you need to do is step in closer to take the shot, like the pic I posted of my pet. But if you are looking for shot like John posted with his son walking, a 85mm will be needed because you are feather away.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 7:23 AM   #78

Quote:
I used "candid" because my children are incapable of sitting for a portrait. So inevitably, I'd have to photograph them when they aren't looking.
With that info, you are better off with a 85mm, which will not work right with the d5000.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 31, 2009 at 7:45 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:39 AM   #79

Quote:
Hmmm.. where are you??? Using the Internet seems to be pretty good with returns etc. In canada I just ordered from Future shop and shipping was free. I can return it to the local Future shop if I decide too.
I've looked into online ordering, and have been stuck with the problem of their return policies. Last time I ordered a camera online, returns weren't an option, unless it was within 14 days, unopened. Not really sure how I can decide if I like something in 2 weeks without opening it. Luckily, it was an inexpensive P&S. I'd come unglued if that happened with a high ticket item. For me, I'd rather walk into a place where I can hold it and get some sort of demo with it. Even if it's just in-store.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:45 AM   #80

Quote:
I've looked into online ordering, and have been stuck with the problem of their return policies. Last time I ordered a camera online, returns weren't an option, unless it was within 14 days, unopened. Not really sure how I can decide if I like something in 2 weeks without opening it. Luckily, it was an inexpensive P&S. I'd come unglued if that happened with a high ticket item. For me, I'd rather walk into a place where I can hold it and get some sort of demo with it. Even if it's just in-store.
Good idea.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote