Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 31, 2009, 9:45 AM   #81

Quote:
... shooting animals on the move is much like sports ...
Humm, interesting point. Wild animals like deep shade, so high ISO certainly makes sense there. With domestic animals I suppose this depends more on the venue. As an antique 35mm film photographer ISO 1600 already seems sinfully high to me. I wouldn't have the nerve to dial in ISO 3200.

Quote:
... A230 is a cheap but nice camera, great lens and nice pix (probably the best value for money today..) in my case I thought I would out grow it too soon ...
I have the A200, which has been a real pleasure. In fact if the A200 had not been as good as it is, I would not now be tempted to try more expensive cameras. My interest in more advanced bodies (heck, the lenses are identical) is more curiousity driven than "outgrowing" the A200. I'm sure I could still be fine tuning my techique with the A200 for a couple of years more. As my A200 experience has been so good, I did also look at the A380. On the plus side, its menu setup is nearly identical to the A200. So I would not have to put the old brain through a boot camp to learn camera controls. But I did find that I missed the extra dedicated buttons on the A200. And worse, the viewfinder eyepiece seemed small. I wear eyeglasses, so this viewfinder issue was the deal killer for the A380 for me.

Compared to my compacts, the AF on the A200 seems blazing fast to me. But I am not a sports shooter.

As I'm on a tight budget, the lens cost issue is starting to rear its ugly head. Both Canon and Nikon have reasonably priced lenses to meet my needs. But the difference in cost for a complete collection may prove significant. And end up the deciding point.

Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 9:57 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
As I'm on a tight budget, the lens cost issue is starting to rear its ugly head. Both Canon and Nikon have reasonably priced lenses to meet my needs. But the difference in cost for a complete collection may prove significant.
I was in a similar situation with My Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D. I wanted to be able to shoot indoor sports, but wouldn't spend $1,370 for the Sony/Zeiss 85/1.4. I bought a Nikon D90 and an 85/1.8 lens for less than the Zeiss lens costs all by itself. I can now do what I couldn't before. There are some things I miss, like the LCD automatically dimming when you put your eye to the viewfinder, but I'm pleased with the results, and that counts more than the convenience features.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:20 AM   #83

Too true. Cheap old Minolta lenses may yet swing me around to the Sony A500, using the low lens costs to offset the high A500 body price. But some reviewers flag the A500 for a "small viewfinder". Unfortunately, small viewfinder can mean different things to different people. I haven't been able to get my hands on a A500 to see if the viewfinder is as restricted as the A380.

goggles Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:06 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I bought a Nikon D90 and an 85/1.8 lens for less than the Zeiss lens costs all by itself. .
and here I thought you were a canon man...
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:39 AM   #85
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
Too true. Cheap old Minolta lenses may yet swing me around to the Sony A500, using the low lens costs to offset the high A500 body price. But some reviewers flag the A500 for a "small viewfinder". Unfortunately, small viewfinder can mean different things to different people. I haven't been able to get my hands on a A500 to see if the viewfinder is as restricted as the A380.

goggles Kelly
its true the a3xx series viewfinder was just god-awful. but i believe the new a500/550 uses a viewfinder that is of similar size and coverage as most consumer dslrs. i think its exactly the same as the canon 500d and nikon d5000.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:12 PM   #86
Administrator

The A500's viewfinder fits "in between" those two models, with the Nikon having the smallest coverage area and effective size after magnification. But, you're really not going to see a lot of difference between them. Here's a site that tracks them (note the effective size column):

http://www.neocamera.com/feature_viewfinder_sizes.php

Here's a review of a product that can give you an improved view through the optical viewfinder:

http://www.alphamountworld.com/produ...product-report

You'll find similar eyepieces for other camera brands and models on the market (including third party products):
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:16 PM   #87

I think the lens cost is starting to become more and more of a driving factor in my decision. So, let me ask this. Since I know Canon typically make a solid product and their user's typically swear by them, and I hear their lenses are great, what red flags should I look out for when considering the T1i? Viewfinder, lack of an important feature I might find useful, etc. Keep in mind, I'm coming from an "advanced" P&S with the Nikon P90 so I dont really know everything I should be looking for.

I hear that though T1i's can AF any canon lens, they are louder than Nikons. Are they any louder than other brand DSLRs AF lenses? Or is the audible sound of the AF typical of this type of camera, with the Nikon motors being the exception?
fbords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:23 PM   #88
Super Moderator

there are really no "red flags" about the Canon t1i. It is a very solid entry level dslrs without any real major flaws.

the "loudness" of a the lens will depend on what type of motor they have in them. the USM lenses from Canon are silent. Their newer non-USM lenses are also quieter than their old ones. I never really noticed a large difference in AF sound between Canon/Nikon/etc.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:25 PM   #89

The loudness of the AF motor is due to the lens, not the body. I have a 28-135 IS USM lens and it is very quite compare to my 55-250 lens. But I did find that pretty much all the kit lenses except for olympus were about the same. The olympus seem a bit quilter to me. Yes it will use any lens design for the eos system. The viewfinder is a moot point as both the nikon d5000 and t1i are smaller then FF cameras.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:38 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
there are really no "red flags" about the Canon t1i. It is a very solid entry level dslrs without any real major flaws.

the "loudness" of a the lens will depend on what type of motor they have in them. the USM lenses from Canon are silent. Their newer non-USM lenses are also quieter than their old ones. I never really noticed a large difference in AF sound between Canon/Nikon/etc.
thanks. I'm trying to weigh pros/cons for this system as I did for the D5000. Many posts on this thread are proving that inexpensive lens compatibility may become somewhat of a deal breaker for the Nikon. I was just curious if there were anything similar to this for the Canon.

In regards to the loudness, I'm only going off of the reviews I've read for the T1i with the 18-55mm kit lens. I'm still trying to coordinate some sort of demo with one. If it's comfortable and things seem like they are where they should be (for me) I may break the bank and get it, then just save for an 85mm 1.8 lens later. I feel I'll get just as much use out of that lens as I would with the 18-55mm.
fbords is offline   Reply With Quote