Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 30, 2009, 9:02 AM   #1

Default Best [email protected] mega zoom camera

I'm looking for a camera for my Mom, the camera must take great pics, big zoom, low light conditions as well as daylight, and most important, the camera will NEVER be taken out of auto mode.

THANKS,

Ralph
RFlorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2009, 9:29 AM   #2

ralph-

Welcome to the forum. We're please that you dropped by.

For starters, please understand that you have not provided a budget, you have not told us to consider all cameras, or just point and shoot cameras, and with the exception of less that a half dozen point and shoot cameras, point and shoot cameras are not able to produce good image quality in low light level shooting conditions. You also were not specific about the amount of zoom.

So my reply here will be based on a budget of $300, considering point and shoot cameras, and the low light level I am basing this reply on is an indoor photo adjacent to a window with northern lighting during the daylight hours. regarding zoom, I have considered from 5X optical zoom upward.

The top choice would be the Canon SX-200, with 12X optical zoom, good automation and a good built-in flash unit.

The second choice for your specs would be the Sony H-20 which has the best automatic mode, and the best built-in flash unit in the class, does HD video and you can zoom while filming. The H-20 has 10X optical zoom.

The third choice would be the Kodak Z-915 or Z-950 cameras. Both have 10X optical zoom, both do well in the automatic mode, however, neither of them shoot HD video.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 9:54 AM   #3

Default thanks

Sarah,

Type of camera and $$$ don't matter.

She wants a camera that she can take to her grandchildrens play and be able to get a good quality pic from her seat (10x zoom or better). She will NEVER take the camera out of auto mode so we need a camera that will take good quality pics while in auto mode.

Thanks,

Ralph
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlorio View Post
Sarah,

Type of camera and $$$ don't matter.

She wants a camera that she can take to her grandchildrens play and be able to get a good quality pic from her seat (10x zoom or better)
It all depends on her definition of good quality pic. There are lots of $2,000 cameras that will take poor pictures in auto mode in those conditions. But, your mom's definition of good/poor may be completely different than mine. But I can say that a children's play can be a challenging environment to shoot in.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:43 AM   #5

She will take pictures, download them to her computer, crop them, resize them and print a few. As far as $2,000, a little too much $$$, let's stay under $700.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:10 PM   #6

Ralph-

I don't know if you realize it or not, but those requirements are really tough. As I understand it she want to be able to take good quality photos in the fully automatic mode from wherever she happens to sit in the entire school auditorium for the grand children's school play.

(1) We have no idea at all about the level of lighting available that will be used for the school play.

(2) We have no idea at all about how large the auditorium is, or where she will be seated.

(3) At the outset, a wide aperture zoom will be needed, and not knowing the lighting level, we really cannot determine if the lens being used has a sufficiently wide enough aperture to take the needed photos.

(4) The photo environment is well beyond the capability of point and shoot cameras.
Is your Mom up to using a DSLR camera, and changing lenses when required?

This is a tough one, Ralph.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote