Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 30, 2009, 4:23 PM   #1

Default Upgrade to DSLR

Back in the old film days (still do shoot once in a while) I shot a Minolta M7000 SLR. Now mostly I am shooting a Panasonic P&S (very slow). I want to get a new DSLR to take shots of family especially young kids soccer games and such. Living in western washington these will be mostly cloudy days. My budget is about 1500. My number one priority is a clear focus and fast shot to shot. I had been looking at the Canon T1i and Nikon D90. When I the local photo store the guy suggested that I was better served with A Canon 50D (faster focus and some weather protection). Size wise it is not an issue, also I could get the 50D and the 18-200 IS for my budget, but not sure if I am buying into too much canera.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2009, 4:30 PM   #2
Super Moderator

regardless if you choose to go with the t1i of the 50d. i would not go for the 18-200, as it is one of the "superzooms" which sacrifice quality for convenience. and its not all that fast to focus either.

i would also suggest something with a little more reach for the youth soccer games. john or somebody that shoots sports can weigh in on this. but i believe for youth soccer you can get away with a little slower max aperture since i believe its usually played during the day.

i may suggest getting the kit lens for your general family shots and such and then getting a dedicated telephoto lens.

i would suggest looking into the 70-300 4-5.6 IS USM as it gives you a little extra reach and is pretty fast to focus.

you may also want to invest in an external flash if you do any indoor family shots.

the decision of the t1i vs 50d is a personal one, but for what you have stated, i believe the t1i would be plenty of camera as it offers good shot to shot times and one of the best autofocus systems for an entry level camera.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 4:43 PM   #3

The 50d is a very good camera, but I did find that it was too much camera for my needs. I went with the T1i instead because they have very similar sensors. I do not really shoot high action to often, so the added burst rate was not a big concern, but for more sport shooters it is a big benefit. It will give you the best high speed shot to shot performance you are looking for I think. The photo quality between the 3 mention camera are very close. So you really will get clear focus with any of them. If hd video is something you are interested in the 50d does not have it, the T1i has it at 1080 and the d90 has it at 720. I never use the video option since I got the camera in june.

With the t1i you can get more reach if you went for the 2 lens kit, with a 55-250mm zoom as oppose to the 18-200mm, but you will be carrying 2 lenses if you need to go wide.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 5:17 PM   #4

If you have any of your older Minolta lenses, they'll work just fine on a Sony dSLR. Have you considered that?

The Canon 50D is a fine camera, but the 18-200 is not a fine lens. As with all superzoom lenses, it has a number of flaws. It sufers from significant distortion at the wide end, significant vignetting, and is soft throughout its zoom . You'd be better off with multiple lenses of less ambitious zoom ranges.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 6:48 PM   #5

So far everyone is pointing at the Canon solution. Most of my shooting is daylight. I was considering 70-200 F4L and getting a shorter lens, but with the 50D I was over my budget. I tried the L lens and it was very fast.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:20 PM   #6

A 50D 'body only' plus a 70-200/4.0 is only $30 over your budget.

But the 70-200/4 would be short for soccer. A 70-300 like the Tamron Di LD would work better, and you'd have enough left over to get a couple more batteries, a spare charger, a couple terabytes of flash memory cards, and maybe another lens.

Or you could get the Canon 70-300 IS USM, which is better, and a spare battery.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 9:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by waoldrifleman View Post
So far everyone is pointing at the Canon solution. Most of my shooting is daylight. I was considering 70-200 F4L and getting a shorter lens, but with the 50D I was over my budget. I tried the L lens and it was very fast.
Which short lens are you looking at to go with the L lens?
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:48 AM   #8

Not sure, maybe the standard kit lens 18-55 IS. I am sort of at the end of the budget.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:07 PM   #9

Ok so I guess I should get a canon body, still not sure if it is the 50D or T1i, and a Canon 70-300 EF and a short 18-55. Does this sound like a workable lens setup? Once I decide on a body the next will be what card to get, So many decisions!
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:12 PM   #10
Super Moderator

that sounds like a very workable and good starting setup. you may have a better idea of which body is best suited to you if you can get to a brick and mortar store and try both of them out.

as for what card. the Sandisk Extreme III, as are some of the faster cards from kingston or lexar, is always a good choice, i would probably get at least 4gb.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote