Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:24 PM   #1

Default Kodak Z980 or Nikon P90

I am not been able to decide between Kodak Z980 and Nikon P90. Both are 12MP Digital Camera with 24x Optical Image.

Please advise. Thanks
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...80-review.html
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...90-review.html
virtualnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:47 PM   #2

virtualnil-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

Interestingly enough the two cameras that you have showed interest in, as well as the Pentax X-70 were all produced in the very same Chinese plant. All of the cameras share the same lens. Each brand signed a contract with the Chinese manufacturer for a fixed number of units to be produced with their brand name on it.

Kodak under estimated the possible popularity of the of the Kodak Z-980. Kodak had planned that their contracted quantity would take them through Christmas 2009. In reality, they had sold all of the contracted for Z-980 cameras well before Thanksgiving 2009.

The Kodak Z-980 was the only one of the cameras in this run that featured a hot shoe to accommodate an external flash. Some photo pundits point to that advantage as the reason that the Kodak Z-980 sold out early. The only place you can now find a Z-980 camera is on E-Bay. Those stocks are all Kodak refurbished cameras that come with a full year's guarantee.

There are still Nikon P-90 cameras in stock as Nikon contracted for a much larger number of unit from the Chinese manufacturer. So essentially the two cameras you are considering are the same, except for the hot shoe.

I own a Kodak Z-980 and can attest to the fact that these are good cameras providing you can purchase them at the right price. The Kodak Z-980 camera on E-Bay are going for $260 to $275 plus shipping. In contrast, the Nikon P-90 cameras are selling for $340 to $365 plus shipping on the internet.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:13 PM   #3

Thanks Sarah for detailed reply, I would go for Kodak if they potentially the same.
virtualnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:01 AM   #4

Virtualnil-

I like the Kodak Z-980 a lot. It performs well and it is capable of some excellent photos for its price range. Another feature of the Z980, that I like a lot, is its excellent macro or close-up ability.

Please give serious consideration to getting the Kodak P-20 external flash unit. That really expands the capabilities of the Z-980 a lot and lets you get into using all of the varieties of flash lighting. Bounce flash, in particular, does away with those typically hard and harsh shadows that we see traditionally created by using just the camera's built-in flash unit alone.

Be sure to actually handle both of the cameras if possible. The P-90 and the Z-980 are fairly sizable cameras. How a camera feels in hand, and the ability to easily manipulate the controls easily is very important. I have attached a typical landscape photo from the Kodak Z-980 to show you a bit of what the Z-980 is really capable of doing.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 31, 2009 at 11:08 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote