Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:26 AM   #1

Default Digital SLR suggestions

I have an friend who is going to be a grandfather and is an avid outdoorsman, he wants to be able to take closeups of nature and his new grandchild and be able to shoot outdoors at longer distances, not sure on how far the distances are he is looking for, what are some models to look at. I just got my wife a new Sony H-20 and after seeing the pic quality it is an amazing camera. but not sure if the H-20 will fill the bill for him.

thanks
Chet
Chetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:29 AM   #2

do you know the price range for the dslr?

I think he will want a zoom of atleast 250mm, but 300mm would be better for his nature shot where he can not get up close, and maybe marco ability if he is can get close up to his subject.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 31, 2009 at 8:32 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:39 AM   #3

The Tamron 70-300 Di LD is a good, inexpensive telephoto zoom lens that is a 1:2 macro lens as well.

The Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 is a very good large aperture standard zoom lens that is also a macro lens, albeit 1:2.3.

Neither of these lenses are stabilized for long shutter speed shots, so a stabilized body would increase the useability of these lenses.

The Pentax K-x and Sony A500 are both very good, entry level dSLRs with sensor shift image stabilization built in, are available "body only" (that is, without the kit lens that would be superfluous with the Sigma 17-70), and can use the lenses I mentioned.

This would be an excellent start for what you say he wants to do, and would cost just a little over $1,000 with either camera.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:45 AM   #4

Pentax K-x is a good option, if he went for the longer 2 lens kit it comes with a 18-55 and a 55-300mm lens for about 720 dollars.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Pentax K-x is a good option, if he went for the longer 2 lens kit it comes with a 18-55 and a 55-300mm lens for about 720 dollars.
True, but they won't do the nature closeups Chetc says his friend wants to do.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 9:08 AM   #6

true it is not marco, but the 300 zoom will give him the ability to get up close if the subject is far away. And get something like the sigma 50mm f2.8 ex dg for a true 1:1 marco, and it will be around 1000 dollars also.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 9:21 AM   #7

At 300mm, that lens has a 1:3.6 magnification ratio. Comparte that to the 1:2 for the Tamron. Also, 50mm is short for a macro lens. If he wants to get close to an insect or something, it would likely be frightened away. For nature, the 50mm wouldn't be a good idea. And neither would frequently changing lenses out in the field.

Tokina has a 100mm f/2.8 macro lens for $400 that will work with the Pentax. It's very good, but it would still require changing lenses in inhospitable places.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 9:26 AM   #8

There are may combination to choose from, just wanted to point it out.

For nature, I carry the ef 70-300mm for walking around. When my wife wants to take her marco shot, she just puts on the 50mm marco. It works fine for her so far. Everyone has things the can work with. Just keep your options open, happy new year.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 31, 2009 at 9:28 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 9:31 AM   #9

Default shoturtle

Hey Shoturtle

Is that pic in your postings an FZ1

Chet
Chetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 9:34 AM   #10

Chet-

Good Morning to you. I am glad to hear that you are pleased with the Sony H-20. Concerning your friends and his desire for outdoor photos. Let's take a few minutes to analyze his needs. He might be able to do everything he envisions with a Sony H-20 like your. At the outset, he might only have to move up one notch to what we refer to as a super zoom camera that has 18X , or 20X optical zoom.

Rather than moving to a DSRL camera, a lot of money could be saved by selecting a super zoom camera, such as the Canon SX-20 or the Panasonic FZ-35. By doing that he would have an all in one camera, able to shoot close-ups, wide landscapes, and long zooms all with one camera. In contrast, should he opt for a DSLR camera, it would require a separate lens for the close-up work. perhaps a special lens for the wide landscapes, and again yet another lens for the long zoom shots. As you can easily see, that could add up in a hurry to a rather sizable investment in DSLR body and multiple lenses.

So the first decision is this: could the proposed shots be easily handled by a super zoom camera, or is a DSLR camera really needed in this case? As I see it, the majority of his photos when outdoors will be made during the daylight hours, and the family snaps of grand children and the like could easily handled indoors using the sup zoom camera's built-in flash unit.

You see, by using a super zoom camera his initial investment would be around $350.00. In the case of the DSLR camera with multiple lenses, his investment could easily be at $1,200.00 and beyond. So you might want to talk it over with him and determine which would be the better plan.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote