Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 31, 2009, 3:19 PM   #1

Default New Point and Shoot

Thank you in advance for responses. I am in the market for a new point and shoot. Kind of have my options narrowed down from reading the forums on here and some in store browsing. I see the Sony H-20 is a popular choice among many on here. A couple others I have looked at are the Cannon SX-200-IS, Fuji F72EXR. A friend recommended I get a Nikon however dont see many suggestions for them on here. I am planning a trip to Vegas in the upcoming months so I would like something to capture the lights of the strip at night. I would probably also use it a some concerts but nothing too major. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. I just want something a little smaller than I have now (Fuji FinePix 3800).

Thanks again

Jason
JCisso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2009, 3:23 PM   #2
Super Moderator

those 3 are great choices.

for night shots, i really like the s90, but it costs a good bit more at ~400$. however for a small pocketable camera, it is the best choice for night/lowlight concert type shooting.

for other type shots, any of the 3 you mentioned would work great. the sx200is has a good lens and general good image quality, the sony h20 offers similar image quality and a nice flash, the fuji f70 offers some unique exr shooting mode that can extend lowlight capabilities at the cost of resolution.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 3:35 PM   #3

Default There are many possibilities ...

The Sony H-20 seems to be very popular as you have noted. I am impressed by the F70EXR (I think the F72EXR is the same camera). It is very good in low light, very compact, and goes from 27mm at wide angle to 270mm at full telephoto. However, to get best use out of this camera, you should read the user's manual carefully and play with it a bit. I don't have it. I simply played around with it at a camera shop. I do have the Fuji F100fd, which has less zoom. The Canon SX200 and its Panasonic rival, the ZS3, are good cameras with zoom ranges from 28mm to 336mm and 25mm to 300mm zoom ranges respectively, but are not especially good in low light. All of these cameras are smaller than your Fuji Finepix 3800.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:12 PM   #4

Jason-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

It appears that 2010 will bring with it a few adventures for you as you travel from the UK to the glitter of Las Vegas, Nevada. Yes, the suggested Canon S-90 is a wonderful and able camera but, it only has 3.8X optical zoom. None the less, the S-90 is a rather expensive pocket camera.

Let's, for the moment, focus on the P+S cameras you have listed: The Fuji F-72EXR, The Canon SX-200, and the Sony H-20. These three cameras are somewhat physically larger than the Canon S-90, but there are indeed very able cameras.

In as much as you are a current Fuji 3800 owner, it would be logical to first examine the Fuji F-72EXR camera. The F-72 designation is unique to those cameras marketed by Jessops in the UK. Here in the USA, that very same camera is designated and know as the Fuji F-70EXR. It incorporates the new EXR imager and exposure system, introduced this year (2009) by Fujifilm, with 10X optical zoom, 10mp, a zoom range of 27mm to 270mm,in 35mm terms, like the canon S-90, the Fuji F-72EXR takes normal, not HD video. The F-72EXR has a low light level capability that is not seen very often in P+S cameras.

The EXR system is very effective, but it require a small shift in one's mindset, as the basic camera settings are uniques to the EXR system. The F-72EXR is basically an automatic camera with a different twist. I has two automatic modes. The first operates within the EXR system. The second is much more conventional, and operates from a small little red camera logo on the Mode Dial, just like most other P+S cameras.

So, the F-72EXR does have something of a learning curve to it, but it yields brilliant results, and is able to operate nicely at ISO 1600 with not much visible noise at all.
In contrast, the Canon SX-200 is very conventional, but robust as well. It incorporates 12mp, and 12X optical zoom. and a zoom range of 28 to 336mm, in 35mm terms. It has received good professional review scores. While it does have HD video, you cannot zoom while filming.

Both the Fuji F-72EXR and Canon SX-200 are slimmer and smaller in physical size, than our third camera, the Sony H-20. However, the H-20 has the best automatic mode in the compact super zoom class, as well as the best built-in flash unit in the class. It has 10X optical zoom beginning not at a wide angle, but at 38mm and extending to 380mm, in 35 mm terms. It does HD video, and you can zoom while filming.

So, Jason, as you can see, all three of the cameras you have listed are very good cameras. I have handled and shot with all three camera. I own and use the F-70EXR and the H-20 as well as a flock of DSLR cameras. Personally, I like the unique capabilities of the F-72EXR. The numerically high ISO capability is very useful for such things as your desire to record the many lights and expansive glitter of Las Vegas.

Hopefully this has provided some basic information, and we look forward to your in depth questions that will enable you to select and purchase the really "right" camera for yourself. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 5:15 PM   #5

Thank you very much for the quick responses. Sounds like you all seem to like the Fuji option...I was leaning more towards that one but like I said I read alot on here suggesting the Sony model.

Mtclimber I dont follow exactly what you mean by more in depth questions. Im sure I will have them when I open the box and begin hitting buttons though!!! ha ha

Not sure what gave the impression I am from across the pond but I am actually located in the Philadelphia area....
Old Dec 31, 2009, 5:38 PM   #6

Jason-

The Fuji F-72EXR model we have seen thus far have all come from Jessop's a large UK camera chain. Perhaps Ritz camera is also using a camera with the same designation. Thanks, for clearing that issue of nicely, Jason.

None the less, whether the camera is designated the F-70EXR or the F-72EXR, does not matter, the set-up and features are still the same. When you get the camera, we will be happy to help you set-up the camera, that is what I was indicating, when I spoke about, "in depth" questions.

Here is a photo sample from the F-70EXR of my husband. It was taken indoors without flash at ISO 1600.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 31, 2009, 5:45 PM   #7

I believe the f72 model is also a Best Buy exclusive and slightly cheaper than the f70 at Ritz Camera. Looks like I will be there first thing in the morning so Im sure you will be hearing from me alot tomorrow....ha ha

Happy New Year to all and thanx again..
Old Dec 31, 2009, 6:13 PM   #8

That sounds like fun, Jason-

Happy New Year, and all the best for a great 2010!

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 31, 2009, 6:18 PM   #9

Jason,

Thanks for introducing me to the F72...first I've heard of it. It is on sale at bestbuy.com for $224.99. However, the F70 is on sale at amazon.com for $199.00 w/free shipping.

Good luck with your choice.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote