Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 3, 2010, 7:40 PM   #21

How many pics will a 2 gb card hold? 4 gb? Not sure what size card to start out with. Are some cards better than others?
gman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1987 View Post
How many pics will a 2 gb card hold? 4 gb? Not sure what size card to start out with. Are some cards better than others?
From the Canon website listin the specifications for the XSi:

File Size
(1) Large/Fine : Approx. 4.3MB (4272 x 2848 pixels)
(2) Large/Normal : Approx. 2.2MB (4272 x 2848 pixels)
(3) Medium/Fine : Approx. 2.5MB (3088 x 2056 pixels)
(4) Medium/Normal: Approx. 1.3MB (3088 x 2056 pixels)
(5) Small/Fine : Approx. 1.6MB (2256 x 1504 pixels)
(6) Small/Normal : Approx. 0.8MB (2256 x 1504 pixels)
(7) RAW : Approx. 15.3 MB (4272 x 2848 pixels)
Exact file sizes depend on the subject, ISO speed, Picture Style, etc

So you can fit about 230 Large/Fine JPEG images per gigibyte. That's 460 on a 2GB card, 920 on a 4GB card, etc.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 9:13 PM   #23

Before I ask my next question I want to say you guys are a great source of info. Is a lens hood something I would need soon? Could you enlighten me on the different kinds of memory cards? Ultra, extreme or just a plan old sdhc?
Old Jan 3, 2010, 9:32 PM   #24

SanDisk Extreme III cards are fastest, which is necessary for continuous continuous shooting. A SanDisk Ultra II will allow you to shoot continuous for a while, but the camera can't transfer the images to the card fast enough so it has to pause occasionally.

If a lens comes with a lens hood, use it. If the manufacturer has an optional lens hood for a lens that doesn't come with one, get it and use it. Lens hoods prevent flare that comes from light from an off-angle light source, bouncing around inside the lens.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 9:39 PM   #25

Lens hood are one of the better investments for your lenses, you can find them new on ebay for about 5 buck shipped form hong kong or a US seller, get to you in 2 weeks and US seller a week. They work just as well as the canon for 10% of the canon hoods price. If it is a really sunny day, and you are kinda shooting toward the sun. It will help prevent flares from showing up on your shot.

Sandisk makes the Ultra and Extreme lines. The Ultra is a class 4 card, while the new extreme III is a class 10 card the old class 6. Class 10 are faster then Class 6 and 4. If you are planning to shoot HD with the T1i, it is recommended by canon to have atleast a class 6 card. Also if you take allot of photo in burst mode for action shots, it is better to have a faster card then a class 4. The class in a standard, class 4 guarantees atleast 4mb/s read and 4 mb/s write, while 6 is a min of 6mb/s up and 6mp/s down and 10 is 10mb/s up and 10mb/s down. Most card in each class advertise 15mb/s for a class 4. That is the total of read and write. But generally they have allot faster read times then write time.

SDHC is a industry standard for secure digital high capacity card. They are SD card that start at 4GB. You can get a good delkin efilm class 6 Card with 16gb for about 40 bucks now. They are pretty fast, but do not carry the price of the high end name brand of Sandisk. Panasonic, Trancend, Kingston and Lexar are good brands also. Just don't get memory card on ebay. There are allot of fakes there.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 4, 2010 at 9:42 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:25 PM   #26

Wanted to thank everyone for the advice you've given over the past few days. I ordered the xsi 2 lens kit from Adorama today. They said they would ship the camera and 18-55 lens now and would send the other lens when they get it in a couple weeks. I also went and got the magic lantern guide so I could get a head start on learning about my new camera. I bought a couple cheap lens hoods off of ebay and now I'm looking for a camera bag. Besides the memory card that should cover what I need to at least get started.
Looking forward to getting started.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:28 PM   #27
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1987 View Post
Wanted to thank everyone for the advice you've given over the past few days. I ordered the xsi 2 lens kit from Adorama today. They said they would ship the camera and 18-55 lens now and would send the other lens when they get it in a couple weeks. I also went and got the magic lantern guide so I could get a head start on learning about my new camera. I bought a couple cheap lens hoods off of ebay and now I'm looking for a camera bag. Besides the memory card that should cover what I need to at least get started.
Looking forward to getting started.
sounds like you are off to a running start. congratulations!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:42 PM   #28

Congrats
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:56 PM   #29

So which sdhc card are you getting?
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:13 PM   #30

Congrats on the order, sounds like a good start. Biggest thing is to go out, take LOTS of pictures and have fun.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote