Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 31, 2009, 3:29 PM   #1

Default Not so much what camera but what else do I need

So I've pretty much decided on the Canon xsi. Now I'm curious what kind of accessories you guys would recommend? Just shooting pics of the kids, vacations and stuff. A bag, extra battery, what else would I need?
gman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:19 PM   #2

gman-

Very high on my "desired items" list would be a good external flash. That will really expand you photo capabilities with your new XSi DSLR camera. The extra battery and the proper case are the expected items. You might not have considered the external flash.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 5:46 PM   #3

The Canon XSi is a fine choice. The kit lens is very good, but in another post you said you were looking for a lens to shoot T-Ball and Softball. There are a number of good telephoto zooms that will serve you well there. Have you decided on one?

Beyond lenses, you could get a spare battery (I have two spare batteries and a spare charger.), an SD Card (I have 4 for a total of 36GB, plus this little doohicky to store them in.), some lens cleaning stuff (I have a blower brush, a lens cleaning cloth, and a LensPen.), a sensor cleaning kit (just in case), and for settings custom white balance, an 18% gray card (My lens cleaning cloth is 18% gray, so it does double duty.), plus something to store and transport all your stuff (I have a case and a vest.)

You might want to start collecting those Silica Gel packets that get packaged in with new stuff. You can keep them with your lenses, and they'll keep fungus from growing on your lenses.

You could also get Neutral Density Filters and Circular Polarizing Filters, which might come in handy when you're shooting outdoors.

I have downloaded PDF versions of the manuals for all my gear, and I keep them on a PDA that I carry around with me. You might find that handy as well.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:38 PM   #4

I guess I'm going to get the 55-250 lens that Canon has a rebate on right now. Simply because I don't think you can beat the price. I know I need a bag and a card. Not sure what the grey card is. Is the battery grip something that would be worth while?
Old Dec 31, 2009, 9:06 PM   #5

Question. Would I be better served stepping back and getting an xs and buying a single 18-300 or 18-200mm lens instead of the xsi with the kit lens and the canon 55-200 lens (there is a $200 rebate now)? I've seen some 18-200mm or 18-300mm canon compatible lens' in the $200 to $400 range. Are these lens any better than the 2 I'm planning on getting now? Just thinking why buy and carry two when one can do the same.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 9:12 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1987 View Post
Question. Would I be better served stepping back and getting an xs and buying a single 18-300 or 18-200mm lens instead of the xsi with the kit lens and the canon 55-200 lens (there is a $200 rebate now)? I've seen some 18-200mm or 18-300mm canon compatible lens' in the $200 to $400 range. Are these lens any better than the 2 I'm planning on getting now? Just thinking why buy and carry two when one can do the same.
no, that would be a large step back in image quality.

these superzoom 18-200, etc. all sacrifice on image quality in order to gain convenience. the kit (18-55 IS) and the 55-250 IS lens's are much better optically than any superzoom lens, and the xsi is quite a bit more capable than the xs.

stay the course. stay the course........
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 9:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
no, that would be a large step back in image quality.

these superzoom 18-200, etc. all sacrifice on image quality in order to gain convenience. the kit (18-55 IS) and the 55-250 IS lens's are much better optically than any superzoom lens, and the xsi is quite a bit more capable than the xs.

stay the course. stay the course........

Thanks
Old Dec 31, 2009, 9:18 PM   #8

I agree, 100% with Hards-

The feature set as well as image quality of the XSi is measurably better than the XS model. An most "all in one lenses sacrifice image quality for convenience. Your original plan is much better. And the Canon 55-250mm lens is just a the reviews have all claimed. It is an very good lens, and best of all it is a lens that does not compromise you image quality at all.

Happy New Year!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 12:56 AM   #9

Quote:
... Not sure what the grey card is. ...
In difficult lighting situations (indoors with mixed light sorces, or tough light sources like sodium vapor lights,) an 18% gray card cam help with exposures and especially with setting a custom white balance. See page 90 of the Canon XSi Instruction Manual.

Quote:
... Is the battery grip something that would be worth while?
A vertical grip is very handy if you'll be taking a lot of photos during a single session, or if you'll be taking a lot of photos with the camera vertically.

Last edited by TCav; Jan 3, 2010 at 8:01 PM. Reason: Fixed the link to the Instruction manual.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 11:00 AM   #10

What else? Let's see -

Camera bag for camera and lens
Extra batteries & charger
Extra memory cards
External flash
Flash diffuser of some sort
Photo editing software (Photoshop Elements?)
vertical grip
Circular polarizer
graduated neutral density filter
grey card
rocket air blower
lens cleaning cloth
lens brush
larger camera bag
Remote (you'll want to be in some of those pictures)
Tripod and head

Some other thoughts for further down the road:

Reflectors
Super wide angle lens for vacations
Fast prime lens (50 mm f1.8?)
Step up rings so you can use the filters on the new lenses
Lens hoods for those lenses that don't have them
Larger camera bag
Laptop computer for vacations
External hard drive because the computer's hard drive is full
Better software for editing
A faster computer with more memory
Hundreds of DVDs for backing up your photo files
boxes and albums for printed shots
A better printer
Another lens
A bigger camera bag
A laptop case
Extension tube
Macro lens
A Bigger camera bag
A sturdier tripod and head
Studio type lighting
Light tent
I'm sure there's tons of stuff I haven't thought of right now.

Of course you don't need all this stuff. I'd get the camera and lens(es), a small bag, rocket air blower, either a lens cloth or soft lens brush (or both), extra battery and extra memory card to start with. Use that for several months and then decide what else you feel a need for. Don't buy any extra stuff unless you feel a need for it - many things would be really cool to have but is very specific and might not apply to the type of photography you'll be doing (no, I don't have everything on this list, but I do have some things that I didn't put on this list).

The one point I did want to make is that you'll end up with at least two camera bags - buying a small one in the beginning is a good idea because there's always times you'll want to go light. Plan on later on buying a much bigger bag, one that holds more than what you own. You'd be surprised how quickly it'll fill up with those extra little things you'll end up collecting.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote