Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 1, 2010, 2:06 AM   #1

Default Yours suggestion for DSLR are very useful for me...

Hi All,

First all I told you that, I am newbie in the world of DSLR cameras.
I just used point and shoot cameras. But I want to learn DSLR cameras.

So I am looking for the model. And I need your suggestions which are very helpful for me

Right now, there are two models which I was looking one is Nikon P90 and other is Canon EOS 1000D. Please suggest me which one is better (Also suggests any other model in same price range upto 25K).

I also have some querries,

I am not professional, But photography is my hobby.Can this models are useful for regular use?
Also I did not got correct info about lens. Are these models are extendable lenses?

Thanks in Advance

Prash.
Prashlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2010, 8:26 AM   #2

Your choice of a dSLR would depend on what type(s) of photography you want to persue. For instance, for shooting sports/action/wildlife, one camera might be better suited than another. If you want to photograph buildings, some manufacturers have lenses that are more appropriate than the lenses available for cameras of another manufacturer.

The two cameras you mentioned are both very good for general purpose photography, but the Nikon P90 isn't a dSLR. If you want a camera that you can use for a specialized photographic application, a dSLR will probably suit you better than a P&S.

Also, it's not clear from your posts or your on-line profile where you are in the world and, therefore, what money you use. So we really can't tell what cameras are available within your budget of 25K.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 7:15 AM   #3

Thanks for your helpful suggestion,

My budget is almost $500 to $550.

I know p90 is not a dslr, but it has good zoom.

I need camera for general use, Not for specific wild/sport or building photographic.
I want to take every good shot.

I am very new user, Thats why I want to ask one more question,

For p90 they said zoom is 24x optical zoom. But for dslr there is no specific zoom.
So how thw zoom is descrribed for dslr? They have zoom? or need to to take extra lenses?

Please suggest.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 7:25 AM   #4

If you were to get more into learning photography the xti would be the way to go. And the ability of different lenses gives it a major advantage in helping you grow.

For $500 you can get a 2 lens kit for the olympus e520, and it would be a good starting point for dslr, or look at the sony a230 also their 2 lens kit for it is in your price range.

Not sure the zoom distance of the p90, so I really do not know what the 24x equates to in the zoom length.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 7:46 AM   #5

Hello shoturtle,

Actually I want to ask simple thing,

Can dslr cameras have good zoom for regular use? or need to take extra lenses?
I am totaly confused what can I do?

I need camera for my family use not for professional use. But again there is aim to learn dslr But money is the factor in between them. So I confused more.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 7:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
If you were to get more into learning photography the xti would be the way to go. And the ability of different lenses gives it a major advantage in helping you grow.

For $500 you can get a 2 lens kit for the olympus e520, and it would be a good starting point for dslr, or look at the sony a230 also their 2 lens kit for it is in your price range.

Not sure the zoom distance of the p90, so I really do not know what the 24x equates to in the zoom length.
According Nikons website it equals 624mm. If you consider that the Olympus 4/3 has a 2x crop factor, whatever lens you put on it automatically doubles in focal length. And, it has in-body image stabilization so any lens you put on it will have IS. Right now, the E-520 is going for extremely low prices.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 8:03 AM   #7

However folks, Prashlove lives in India-

If I recall correctly, from previous posts, we learned that Prashlove lives in India. If I am confused, Prashlove, please correct me. Thanks!

Here is the USA the Olympus E-520 two lens kit DSLR camera is selling for about $(US)520.00. The two lens kit has the Olympus 14-42mm kit lens and the Olympus 40-150mm lens. Using the Olympus 2.0X multiplier, that equals coverage, in 35mm terms from 28 to 300mm. That is far less zoom that would be provided by the Nikon P-90 (a super zoom camera) whose zoom extends to 624mm.

For Prashlove, on a DSLR camera a different lens is required to increase the zoom of the Olympus E-520, therefore an additional cost is involved in purchasing the Olympus 70-300mm lens, which in the USA is selling for around $(US)230.00. That would give you a lens covering 140mm to 600mm in 35mm terms, but at an additional cost.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 8:19 AM   #8

If the zoom range is imporetant to you, a P&S, like the Nikon P90, will do better than a dSLR. P&S digicams have smaller image sensors and so can use smaller lenses which are easier to make and easier to make long. dSLrs have larger image sensors which require larger lenses which are harder to make long (as evidenced by the relatively poor performance and relatively high cost of superzoom lenses for dSLRs. To do the same kinds of things with a dSLR that you can do with digicam like the D90, you'd need 2, 3, even 4 different lenses. And while a dSLR with multiple lenses will do a better job, considering how much more it cost, it better.

For a dSLR in your price range (going by the prices I see here in the US, which may not be an indicator of the prices where you are), with a good zoom range, these could be a good match for you:
  • Olympus E-520 with the 14-42 and 40-150 kit lenses.
  • Pentax K2000 with the 18-55 and 55-200 kit lenses.
  • Sony A230 with the 18-55 and 55-200 kit lenses.
Any of these should work well for your purposes.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 8:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashlove View Post
Hello shoturtle,

Actually I want to ask simple thing,

Can dslr cameras have good zoom for regular use? or need to take extra lenses?
I am totaly confused what can I do?

I need camera for my family use not for professional use. But again there is aim to learn dslr But money is the factor in between them. So I confused more.
You can have a dslr with a mega zoom lens, from 17-200mm. But generally it is better to have 2 lenses. Mega zoom lenses that have allot of range from wide to long, tends to have distortions issue. And do not perform as well as 2 lenses. I am pretty sure the Mega zoom P&S have similar zoom distortions issues.

Some users do not uses the Short lenses, and use the longer lenses as their walk around lens.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 8:58 AM   #10

Thanks to all for reply.

Now my confusion decreases slowly.

And mind turns on to P90. Bcoz it has good zoom. And I want the camera which will useful for my family member also. Photography is really my hobby, and I want to learn dslr. But I am joined the job recently (littlebit money problem ). But one day I will really purchasing dslr surely. And that time also I will asked u first.

So Can I going with P90? after all this summary? what U suggest for me?
Ypur suggestion is very much important for me. Afterall you all are the Kings in Photography world.

So plaes suggest.

By d way Sarah is right, I am from India.