Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 1, 2010, 11:03 AM   #1

Default Canon SD1200 vs Casio EX-S12

First, I love the site! Very informative and full of very helpful people.

A little background. we have an old Sony DSCW5 (from 2005, I believe) which has served us well. However, it has a VERY annoying flaw: shutter lag (or whatever it is called). I sadly admit that my photo skills are pretty limited.
The bottom line is that I have missed a ton of shots while the camera is trying to figure out the best settings, even in great light and while making a conscious effort to pre-focus.

I picked up a Canon SD1200 a couple of weeks ago and so far it sems like a great camera. It seems faster and the pics are quite nice. But, there is still some occasional lag which caused some missed shots. I haven't had time to view the CD on the advanced functions yet, but noticed that it can be set to ISO 1600 for a faster shot in lower light, a continuous shot mode (burst) AND didn't realize there are more scene selections buried within the menu.

This "lag" issue is distressing because I have a very active and photogenic (is that really a word?) 19 month-old, and I HATE missing shots!

Which leads to a few questions:
1. How can I optimize the performance of the SD1200 in regards to action shots?

2. Among others, I originally considered the EX-S12 because it was allegedly pretty fast. I purchased the Canon instead because I got a great deal on it, and it does seem to perform pretty well.
Would the Casio have been a better choice?

Without going too bulky or expensive, are there other choices I have missed (I checked out the Sony H20 and was very impressed, but it is just too big to carry around)?

Many thanks, and happy new year!

Bob
Loogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:43 AM   #2

Bob-

The Canon SD-1200 is an excellent choice. It is the light level within the Photo environment that slows a camera in the focusing process. When the light level is measurably lower, the focus process becomes a bit slower. The process is the same no matter what brand of camera is being used, because P+S cameras us a contrast detection focusing system. Also please keep in mind that the focus sytem within any camera is dependent somewhat on size. small cameras, which you seem to prefer, are a hair slower to focus. A larger camera, such as the Sony H-20, which you passed on, due to its physical size, is ever so slightly faster due to somewhat larger sensors.

So you can optimize focusing delay by choosing photo environments that are better lighted. The clothing you child is wearing even has an effect on focusing. For example a check pattern is much easier for the camera to focus on that a single, lightly colored item of clothing.

And one final note the image quality of the Canon SD-1200 is better than the Casio EX-S12. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 12:00 PM   #3

Thank you very much, mtclimber!

I will continue to work with the Canon (I have a lot to learn). It does seem to be getting some great shots. I tested the continuous shooting mode last night and think that will be a real plus.

I played with the Sony at the store and was very impressed with the feel and snappiness, but my wife and I were concerned about portability (we try to travel light). We considered compacts and sub-compacts, but the Sony is more mid-size.
Maybe we should get the sony as well... ;o)

Do your recommendations also help to minimize blurring during action photos?
Loogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 12:50 PM   #4

Bob-

Image blurring happens when the shutter speed is very low. Often in very low light level shooting environments, the camera is struggling to focus and it is forced to user a slower shutter speed.

The SD-1200 is a wonderful camera, but it is not a $1,000.00 DSLR camera with a very wide aperture lens. Your photos are going to always be better with greater image quality when you have more light available in the photo scene. Get into the habit of switching to a better lighted photo environment and your camera will thank you and you will get much better photos.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote