Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:01 AM   #11

Then what is the good choice as per you?
Prashlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:27 AM   #12

Prashlove-

In large measure your choice of cameras is directly impacted by your budget, or how much you want to spend.

The Nikon P-90 has very good image quality when shot at ISO 400 and below.That would make it, by your definition "a good general purpose camera" that provides lot of zoom, at an affordable price, as long as you shoot your photos at an ISO setting of 400 and below. Purchasing a DSLR camera would only increase your initial investment in a camera, increase the size and weight of your kit, and require multiple lens, and the accompanying problems that are inherent to lens changing on a DSLR camera.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Taking good photos is surely assisted and moved forward by learning more about the principles of photography with regard to light and exposure. Perhaps some reference books would be helpful in learning more about photography.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:36 AM   #13

Thanks Sarah,

I just serched some books on photography. I will surely learn from them.
Meanwhile can you tell me when its need to increase ISO level? At what types of shots needs high ISO level (more than ISO400)?

Regards,
Prash.
Prashlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashlove View Post
hello fbords,

I also confused with same question. Right now I am looking into P90. But after reading ur comment there is somehow need to think on p90. Its realy making difference at low light? and ""slow with auto focus"" I did not understand what u say. Please explain in detail.

I need camera for in general use.
Let me clarify. There is nothing "wrong" with the P90. It is a very capable device and in my opinion a really good camera. However, for my needs, I found that it wasnt a good fit for me. If you are indoors, you can adjust your white balance manually to fix any yellowing, and use your flash. Though this flash won't work in a large area, it should do the job as long as you aren't more than say 20ft from your subject.

In regards to the ISO, Sarah is correct. You need to keep in mind that this performance in low light, high ISO conditions isn't a problem with the P90, but something that effects all Point and Shoot cameras.
fbords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:05 PM   #15

Prashlove-

The ISO setting is numerical increased when you need a faster shutter speed or when the light level has decreased substantially.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashlove View Post
Thanks Sarah,

I just serched some books on photography. I will surely learn from them.
Meanwhile can you tell me when its need to increase ISO level? At what types of shots needs high ISO level (more than ISO400)?

Regards,
Prash.
Generally at night and low light indoors, the high ISO will help out the shot, as it will allow you to use a faster shutter speed. In general, you can only hand hold a camera steady to about 1/40 of a sec before inducing camera shake depending on the person.

So if you plan to take photos when it is dark outside or dim inside, the high ISO is what you would want. Dinner parties, wedding dinners, or walking around after sunset. You would preferred having at-least a 800iso.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 8:51 AM   #17
Banned

I still like the g10 better than the G11, design wise too, not a fan of swiveling screens, P90 has better (more) optical zoom and mega pixels.
And it is a great camera, no doubt.
janon is offline   Reply With Quote