Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:54 AM   #1

Default SLR non digi camera help

I have some pentax equip left. Also have digital canon.
For my uses sometimes I prefer the older ones , had gotten some feedback on earlier, but came across a Pentax ZX-M SLR.
Other than the plastic ring, the rub-off name on the body, what are your thoughts on this camera as compared to some of the other dinosaurs one might choose to use just for the heck of it? I still have quite a few lenses and I guess staying with Pentax would be best but want a little more than the K1000 has to offer although what a terrific teacher that little tank has been!

Marcy,..different name,..same pain!

Last edited by panther54; Jan 2, 2010 at 10:58 AM.
panther54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2010, 11:54 AM   #2

Same question: Are you looking for a film camera, or a digital camera?

Film cameras are no longer produced. Therefore any digital camera, be it a P+S or a DSLR camera will be more technically advanced and much more able to capture excellent image quality.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 2:56 PM   #3

I have a ZX-M, bought it to replace an ME when the film advance died. It's a reasonable camera, semi-automatic where your K1000 is completely manual, as I recall. You set the aperture and the camera sets the shutter speed, just like the ME. I don't remember it supporting auto focus and it feels too light to have a motor. I didn't have any AF lenses when I bought it, which is one of the main reasons I bought it over some of the much more modern cameras, with all of their features. Figured if the ME had been good enough for close to 20 years, I didn't really need them. It was the bottom of the line camera when new. The only complaint I had is that it metered differently than the ME and I sometimes had trouble figuring it out. I can also tell you that I haven't used it since 2006 when I bought a Pentax DS, and rarely for a couple of years before that because I was using a Sony F717. In fact, I think I only used it for about 6 months before buying the F717 so I never really got as familiar with it as I had the ME.

P.S. I'm still using a couple of the lenses I had bought new with the ME. So cameras come and go, but lenses last and last...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 2:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Same question: Are you looking for a film camera, or a digital camera?

Therefore any digital camera, be it a P+S or a DSLR camera will be more technically advanced and much more able to capture excellent image quality.

Sarah Joyce
Not necessarily. Yes they may be a faster, but film cameras are still perfectly capable of producing fine images. Arguably film still captures more detail, and definitely has more dynamic range. Plus, former top of the line film camera's like the Nikon f100 and F5 can be had for a song, and are built like a tank, and should outlive any current digital SLR. Digital has many advantages, especially in low light shooting, but film is still viable. I still have an f100, but i haven't used it in over a year.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 6:36 PM   #5

I still enjoy the dinosaurs. I love black &white developing and printing. The very best pics I have ever seen were done with film. There is alot of control in the processing, developing, the washes, in the pan , out of the pan. I love the images, dramatic and contrasty and the fine quality that this old art form presents to the viewer.
Digital is awesome as well, and I believe that they both have their place.
I'll look at Nikon, Minolta, Yashika, and whatever comes down the pike to find what I need and feel is best. Your input is important to this process and much appreciated.

thank you

keep the ideas coming!!!
panther54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:39 AM   #6
Banned

I would look for a Nikon FM series camera. The nice thing about nikon is the fact that if she upgrades to a digital she can still use the older nikon lenes. She will have to do manual metering but the lenses will function just like they do on a manual focus slr.

Just my thoughts.
janon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 9:50 AM   #7

janon-

That only applies to some older Nikon lenses. The Nikon D-3000, D-5000, D-40, D-60, and D-40X only use AF-S and AF-1 category lenses.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 2:03 PM   #8

A Nikon film camera won't do any good for someone who has a bunch of Pentax lenses. OP is replacing a Pentax K1000, and the ZX-M can use all of the same lenses. Those old manual lenses can also be used on any of the Pentax dSLR cameras, and will maintain whatever capability they had new (i.e., the camera has the ability to stop down the manual lenses, if you want to use in-camera metering all you have to do is push a button).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote