Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 3, 2010, 12:36 AM   #11

I have the K-x and the AA batteries was one of my pluses for it. IMO, the ability to easily purchase new batteries anywhere in an emergency was a big plus. YMMV. I took over 400 photos on New Year's Eve plus another 100 or so on Christmas Eve with the Energizers that arrived with the camera.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 1:13 AM   #12

If you don't like the idea of rechargeables, I guarantee you'll be pleased with the life of lithium-ion AA batteries. Here's an excerpt from dpreview's review of the Pentax K-x:

"Pentax is the only manufacturer that uses AA-batteries in some of its DSLRs and it has stuck with this power source on the K-x. When using Lithium batteries you can get an impressive number of frames out of one set. We used the camera on a two weeks holiday, which involved approximately 1000 photos and a number of videos, without having to change batteries. With rechargeables the number of frames per charge goes down to 640 and Alkaline batteries are really only meant as an emergency solution."

Battery type No Flash 50% Flash use
AA Lithium 1900 1100*
Ni-MH 1900mAh 640 420
Alkaline 210 130

End of dpreview excerpt. Many rechargeable batteries offer more juice than 1900 mAh - some as high as 2700 or 2900 - and they'd offer longer life than the Ni-MH figures provided. And the bonus is that if you ever find yourself stuck, you can still use readily available alkaline AA's and still get a couple hundred shots. That could cover a day's worth of shooting.

I have the Pentax K200D and AA-battery power has been no problem at all. With proprietary lithium-ion batteries, you'd better make sure you have a second charged battery with you at all times or you can find yourself out of luck.

Last edited by Biro; Jan 3, 2010 at 1:15 AM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 9:13 AM   #13

I have recently been using NiZN batteries. They are about 10% more expensive, but they remain charged for up to 6 months, with reduced self discharge problems, and best of all each AA cell outputs 1.6 volts as oppossed to the 1.2 volts outputted by NiMH batteries. I found them at Amazon, and have been very pleased with their performance.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 3:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
I have recently been using NiZN batteries. They are about 10% more expensive, but they remain charged for up to 6 months, with reduced self discharge problems, and best of all each AA cell outputs 1.6 volts as oppossed to the 1.2 volts outputted by NiMH batteries. I found them at Amazon, and have been very pleased with their performance.

Sarah Joyce

Oooh! I'll have to try those!
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 9:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubonker View Post
Hello, i am looking to buy a DSLR or a compact with manual controls for under $600. I previously owned the Nikon D40 and was very happy with the camera except for the noise levels above ISO 400. I'd like for the next camera to have better pictures at high ISO, as well as a good lens kit.
If you are looking for a 2 lens kit, the olympus e520 will be around 600 dollars but most like under 600. But if you are looking for a 1 lens kit. For 600 you can get the mention K-x, E620, Sony A330 and the canon XSi. They all have 1 lens kit in the 600 dollar range.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote