Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:32 PM   #1

Default Ultra-compact, fast camera advice needed!!

A few years ago I used steves-digicams to research my Casio EX-Z600 and other camera's and have been nothing but pleased with my purchase. I am very thankful for the reviews and work put in to this website! I am currently looking to upgrade my aging camera with something similar. Things that are important to me are quick start up time (under 2 seconds... my casio was 1 second!), a ultra-compact design, a lithium ion battery opposed to AA batteries, fast times from picture to picture (does the memory card matter in this situation?), more resolution (at least 10 MP!), and finally a better zoom would be nice (more than 3x). A few of the camera's I have looked at are as follows:

Samsung SL-420
Nikon Coolpix S640
Olympus Stylus-7010
Sony Cybershot W220
Kodak M341 and/or M381
Nikon Coolpix S220

Lastly, I haven't found any reviews on this, but I keep seeing a camera on sale in my Sunday add's for a Olympus FE-46 (12 MP with 5x zoom) for only $89... does anyone know anything about this camera???

Thank you for your help!
Chad8737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:35 PM   #2
Super Moderator

what is your price range. and what kind of photographs do you normally take? (aka indoor people, landscapes in day/night, etc)
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:41 PM   #3

price range is anywhere from $80-$180 (or maybe $200 if it is really worth it, but ideally I'd like to keep it below $200 so i can accessorize (case/memory).

As for the types of photographs I normally take, I would say mostly indoor pictures of friends, pets..etc. I also like taking nature/landscape photos, but the main use is definitely indoor people!

I am open to other suggestions not from the list I provided as well!!! THANKS!
Old Jan 3, 2010, 9:28 PM   #4

I have been looking more at the Nikon Coolpix S620 and I am very fond of its small size and Steve's review says a 7/10 second start up time! Overall, his review seems very positive on this camera. Does anyone on these forums have one of these camera's or have used one and can offer any additional input?? Thanks in advanced
Old Jan 3, 2010, 9:36 PM   #5
Super Moderator

i personally don't have any experience with this camera. one thing from the review that struck me was that implied the Nikon had a rather small flash output, this could be detrimental to your indoor people shots. Otherwise it looked pretty good.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 9:53 PM   #6

Chad-

The Olympus Fe-46 is a slight variation on the Fe-26. The 5X zoom is 36 to 180mm, so no wide angle, 230K on the LCD, so it is slightly below average. It does not have IS, instead it has digital stabilization, which means to it is boosting the numerical ISO setting. It was designed to be a price breaker camera, but it lack features and specifications.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 9:54 PM   #7

hmm... i missed that part, thanks for pointing that out. do you know of any similar cameras with similar specs, but perhaps a better flash?

Also, is there a technical term for "time it takes from pressing power on to taking first photo"??? (or time it takes from one photo to the next?) Only the reviews I have read on this website have mentioned this, unless I am missing it in the spec's of other review sites???
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:01 PM   #8

Chad-

The time from the power button to the first shot is call time to first shot. The time between exposures is referred to as the shot to to shot time.

In this case you out to spend a bit more and get the Panasonic ZR-1. It meets your specs and is a stand out camera. Amazon has the lowest price.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:43 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Chad-

The time from the power button to the first shot is call time to first shot. The time between exposures is referred to as the shot to to shot time.

In this case you out to spend a bit more and get the Panasonic ZR-1. It meets your specs and is a stand out camera. Amazon has the lowest price.

Sarah Joyce
and really the ZR1 is pretty much the same price as the nikon you mentioned. and it is a very speedy performer and has one of the best implimentations of image stabilizers in the compact market.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:35 AM   #10

hards80 and mtclimber, thank you for your ZR1 suggestion... this camera looks like what i have been searching for! I think I am going to be going with the ZR1. I will let you know how it turns out... thanks again for all your help!