Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 5, 2010, 2:38 PM   #1

Default Decided on T1i -- advice on accessories?

I've decided on the two lense Canon T1i kit, and would like to get as much as possible in one purchase. I do not have a local camera store, so I will need to buy most everything on-line. Here's a list of what I have:

A camera bag that will work until I outgrow it
A few UV and polarized filters (49 & 52mm)
A fair camera strap

I have read one thread on some of the things that you might need with a new DSLR purchase. I am looking for some advice on the bare essentials to get started. These might include:

Flash
Cards (and what stage)
batteries
filters, etc.

Any brief advice will be appreciated, and if any of you are somewhat familiar with the body style of the T1i, let me know what has worked well for you.
Luke Stepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2010, 2:41 PM   #2
Super Moderator

an external flash is very nice. the 430exii is an easy choice and not terribly cost-prohibitive.

a nice 4-8gb sd card. easy to recommend the Sandisk Extreme III

don't think you need any filters really. they just degrade image quality. just purchase a lens hood for protection and to prevent flare.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 2:56 PM   #3

Will the Sandisk Extreme III allow me to do video if I choose to in the future?
Luke Stepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 2:58 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Stepp View Post
Will the Sandisk Extreme III allow me to do video if I choose to in the future?
yes, video will work just fine with it.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:00 PM   #5

Just to back up the previous post - be sure to ignore crappy kits vendors put together that include filters and cases and such. They usually contain very poor quality stuff - that's how vendors make their money.

Forget UV filters. For Circular Polarizers I would only use a high quality one from Hoya or B+W say. But I don't think it's necessary out of the gate. And when you do get one, you'll likely find a better deal on the quality filtr at a different store. For example, I bought my filters from www.2filter.com - great site with great prices on filters.

I second the recommendation for Extreme IIIs. That will be fast enough for anything you're doing and still keep the cost reasonable.

Camera strap: I admit I hate the oem camera straps. I personally use Op-Tech pro loop camera straps. Lots of good padding but other people prefer other straps. Still, the key here is to ignore the bundles vendors are going to try and push on you.

Camera bag - this is tougher. There are different styles of bags that appeal to different people or different purposes - shoulder bags, sling bags, backpacks, holsters are all types of bags. They all have pros/cons. Do you have say a Best Buy near you? While not having a selection as good as a camera store you could at least see (hopefully) a couple of the different styles of bags to decide what style best appeals to you. For example - I actually have 3 carrying methods: backpack, sling bag and belt system with pouches. I use all 3 depending on the particular needs. I started with the sling bag but it quickly grew too small so I got the backpack. The belt system I added last as it's great for sports and event work. The biggest issue I think people run into is buying a bag for the camera and then when they add one more purchase 2 months later (flash, lens, whatever) the bag is too small. So, whatever you decide on make sure you get something that has at least a little room to grow -
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:23 PM   #6

I agree that you can skip the UV filters, I don't use them. However, I do use a circular polarizer. My recommendation is not to buy two filters - buy the largest size you need and then buy step-up rings to allow you to use it on smaller lenses. I have only one CP that's 77 mm (a B+W) and several step-up rings (52 to 77, 58 to 77, 67 to 77). As long as the filter is LARGER than the lens you won't have trouble with vignetting.

I use an Optech strap also. While it isn't as big of a deal with a light-weight lens, it sure is wonderful when you add a heavier lens. Highly recommended.

I'm another who has more than one camera bag. However, I disagree that your FIRST bag should be larger than what you have equipment for. I think getting a relatively small bag - one big enough for the camera and one or two extra lenses, plus a pocket for extra batteries and cards is a good first buy. That way you'll always have a small bag to use when you want to go light. For your SECOND bag make sure you get one larger than you expect to carry because JohnG is right - you will quickly outgrow that small bag. It's just that I will often use that first small bag when I don't want to carry everything and the kitchen sink. And when you outgrow the second bag (in a couple of years), you can possibly carry both bags until you decide to spring for a third, huge bag, or decide to go with a totally different solution.

A flash is nice if you are planning on using flash. Much of my pictures are outside or without flash. I have one, but mainly use it for macro so it wasn't high on my list of priorities and it took me a couple of years to get around to buying one. On the other hand, someone who's doing mostly indoor shots should get one right away.

Extra batteries are nice and absolutely necessary for cameras using AA batteries. It's not so important with still cameras using proprietary batteries as they last longer (note to self - it's probably time to order an extra battery for my current camera - I still only have the one that came with it and haven't felt an overwhelming need for a second one). HOWEVER (isn't there always a however?) if you are going to be shooting lots of video, then a second battery should be high on your list of priorities - video eats batteries much faster than still shooting.

P.S. Two items not mentioned that I think should be very high on your list of first accessories is a soft lens brush and a rocket air blower (to blow dust off your sensor). You WILL get dust on the sensor at some time or other, but a couple of quick puffs of a rocket air blower (NOT canned air!!!!) is usually all it take to dislodge it. I have both a lens cloth and a lens brush, but prefer to use the brush because my biggest problem is dust.

Last edited by mtngal; Jan 5, 2010 at 3:43 PM.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 6:07 PM   #7

I have a t1i

At least a 8gb class 6 card if you are planning to use the HD function. I use a Delkin 16gb class 6 card have not had any issues about 40 dollars. And have a panasonic 8gb class 6 cards as a back up. No issues either with my t1i, avoid getting card from ebay. Many issues with fakes and hacked cards.

A remote or cable shutter release is a good thing to have

Avoid the UV filters, get a ND filter instead and the C-PL, they will be more useful

External flash, the canon 430 is nice, but the metz 48 af-1 works just as good and cost less. The nice thing about the metz is it has both a defuser and bounce are built into the flash. So you do not forget to bring them.

optech neoprene straps is the way to go, the kit one is not really comfortable

Eneloop rechargeable batteries if you get a flash. Slow discharging, a plus.

additional camera battery is nice to have. If you take allot of shot in a day, a battery grip is a good idea. Someone posted that janis sells one on amazon for the xsi for 38 bucks. It is the same one for the t1i. It would be worth taking a look.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...ip-xsi-xs.html

Tripod is a nice thing to have I use a cullmann 519 very stable and well made.

A gorillapod slr zoom is also a nice option if you are looking for small and lightweight my travel the world tripod. Have had no issues with using it with my ef 70-300mm lens

A cleaning kit with allot of lens paper.

Go onto ebay and look for the hoods for the lenses you have, very good investment and the thrid party ones form Hong Kong will get there in 2 weeks, from a US seller in a week at 1/10th the price of the canon ones. ET 60 for the 55-250mm lens and EW 60C for the 18-55mm lens.

The EF 50mm F1.8 is a good prime lens for about 90 dollars. Good for allot of thing portraits, landscape, indoor work and marco. Just need to manual focus for marco.

Get a decent size backpack for your gear, i carry around 5 lens, battery grip, flash, and the changers and extra battery. A small bag will fill quickly. Canon has one for about 50 bucks, and it carrys allot. But if you are looking at something more high end lowepro and tarmac are good options. http://www.adorama.com/CABP200EG.html

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 6, 2010 at 8:22 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:14 PM   #8

I'm in the same boat as the op. I'm interested an any bag recommendations you guys have too. Just enough bag to carry the 2 lens kit.
gman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:20 PM   #9

well you will have one lens on the body, if you are planning light packing only, you can get something like tarmac velocity

http://www.adorama.com/TR5766BK.html

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 5, 2010 at 7:23 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:20 PM   #10

Bags are VERY personal things - what works for one person is someone else's torture.

I wasn't really crazy about the velocity bags as I thought the access of the bag was awkward. If you are thinking about a sling bag, check out the Lowepro Slingshot bags, MRock's sling bags and Kata's 3N1 bags. I thought all three offered better access to all corners of their bags.

A shoulder bag is very convenient and I still use a small Tamrac that I bought for an ultrazoom (it's my small bag). It can actually hold a fair amount with some careful organization - more than I can comfortably carry on one shoulder.

Messenger bags (worn cross-shoulder) are popular and more comfortable when the weight starts creeping up (but I've never actually used one).

I can carry quite a bit of weight comfortably in a Slingshot 200. This bag works great for me because I'm really small and a lot of weight is carried on my hip. Those who are bigger might find one uncomfortable.

You can carry a lot more weight in a backpack, but I've learned after years of day-hiking that what's in a pack usually stays there. I hate constantly stopping to remove the pack so I can get something out. My latest bag is a Kata 3N1 bag - it is configurable so you can wear it as a backpack, a sling bag or both straps cross-shoulder with a hip strap. You can access it from either side, while the Lowepro bag can only be accessed on the left side (you wear it cross-shoulder over your right shoulder). I'm very happy with it, but only bought it because I bought a lens that won't fit in the Slingshot 200 and didn't think the Slingshot 300 was comfortable.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote