Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 5, 2010, 6:15 PM   #1

Default A330 or K-x

Since both the A330 and K-x are about the same price with an 18-55 kit lens, and knowing I will buy some most likely older lenses down the road (maybe a prime or two) and a longer zoom.

Which do you think would be a better buy, I mean other than ergonomics, does one have any advantages over the other (other than I like that copper/brown Sony)?
fofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2010, 6:20 PM   #2

I really liked the copper color of the Sony, but I got a better deal on the Pentax right after Christmas. I got the 2 lens kit with the 55-300mm for $612, which was a great deal.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 6:26 PM   #3

The K-X has HDR, a very nice feature. All pentax lenses will work on it form when pentax started AF lenses. Sony may not work with some older 3rd party lenses for the minolta bodies.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 6:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
I really liked the copper color of the Sony, but I got a better deal on the Pentax right after Christmas. I got the 2 lens kit with the 55-300mm for $612, which was a great deal.
Where did you get that deal, my brother has decide on the pentax, now he is looking for the best deal.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 6:29 PM   #5

Amazon. It was on sale right about Christmas time. It was a Gold Box deal. I see a current Gold Box deal for $533 with just the one lens. I think Gold Box deals are personalized.

Last edited by dansamy; Jan 5, 2010 at 6:32 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 6:29 PM   #6

thanks, I will let him know.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 6:36 PM   #7

If it helps, I ordered the white one lens kit before Christmas. A couple days later, the two lens kit showed up in my Gold Box with that huge discount. So, if he has (or can get approved for) Amazon credit, he can order a one lens kit and haunt his Gold Box to see if they offer a better price.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 6:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
Amazon. It was on sale right about Christmas time. It was a Gold Box deal. I see a current Gold Box deal for $533 with just the one lens. I think Gold Box deals are personalized.
Yes they are, but they are out of stock on the 55-300 lens kit. May have to try to haggle with a store for a price close to amazon's.

What do you think of the K-x. I played around with it in the store and was very impress with it. How does it rate on a owner prospective?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:11 PM   #9

Both the Pentax and the Sony can use all the older lenses available on the used market. All Pentax lenses, and third party lenses for the Pentax mount, will work, even the older manual focus lenses (though they continue to be manual focus.) The Sony can use all Minolta autofocus lenses, but the earlier manual focus lenses need an adapter which is a minor pain, making the effort less attractive. All Tamron and Tokina autofocus lenses for the Minolta autofocus mount will work as well. All but the very earliest Sigma autofocus lenses will work too.

The major difference is that, for the Pentax, medium to long telephoto lenses seem to be harder to come by than for the Sony. On the other hand, fast primes are harder to find for the Sony, and the ones that do show up are expensive.

Last edited by TCav; Jan 5, 2010 at 7:13 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 9:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Yes they are, but they are out of stock on the 55-300 lens kit. May have to try to haggle with a store for a price close to amazon's.

What do you think of the K-x. I played around with it in the store and was very impress with it. How does it rate on a owner prospective?
I really like it. Bear in mind that I am completely new to SLR shooting, having never used a film one either. I have not finished reading the included manual and there aren't any 3rd party guides available for it yet. I also have not read any of the general photography/slr/exposure/composition/etc books. I am still very much in an "Auto" or a "hey what does this button do?" mode. I find it fairly intuitive navigating around the menus and controls.

Day1, right out of the box

Christmas Eve 2009

New Year's Eve 2009

As you can see I still have quite a lot of learning to do, but these are much better than what I could/would have gotten out of my PnS.