Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:29 PM   #1

Default Panasonic or Canon

I'm currently using a Canon G7 which I'm very happy with. However, I would like a larger zoom.
I'm hovering between a Canon SX1 IS or a Panasonic Lumix FZ35, I'm leaning towards the latter because of the lithium battery and it's anti- shake properties. I've been told that using full optical zoom one gets a lot of noise.
Opinions appreciated.
Thanks.
Carole.
carolevirginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2010, 12:18 AM   #2
Super Moderator

The FZ-35 is a good choice. The SX20IS from Canon is also a good choice. They are equally capable cameras, but the Panasonic is a bit smaller. If you prefer the Panasonic, it should serve you well.

the noise is not a function of the zoom, but a function of the small sensors on consumer digicams, especially as the resolution (megapixels) have increased.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 4:45 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I have a Canon SX1 as at the time it was the only real option with full HD video which is mainly what I wanted it for. Something else to consider is that if you want to add to the usability at a later date with one of the external flash options then the Canon is the choice.

However when it comes to taking photos I think the Panasonic as the slight edge and a slightly better lens but we are talking slight. I would handle them as this can make a difference.

You talk about anti shake, but both cameras have good AS/IS systems so nothing to worry about there.

Dustin is correct that noise is no a factor of the lens but to do with the sensor, however what you might have heard is that at longer focal lengths you have a smaller aperture so less light gets into the camera so you have to use a higher ISO to get the same shutter speeds which obviously will increase noise. This is something that happens with any lens that doesn't have a fixed maximum aperture.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 7:25 AM   #4

FZ 35
Stan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:21 AM   #5

I have the FZ35's predecessor, the FZ28. As Mark mentioned, there is no hot-shoe to add an external flash. I could work around this and add a slave flash, but that's a rather clunky solution, IMO.

While I really like the FZ28 for most things, I regret not getting a different camera with a hot-shoe. Both my wife and I have found the built-in flash to be inadequate in many indoor situations.

Mike
mike_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:47 AM   #6

Mike-

I am sort of the opposite. I don't mind using the Slave Flash at all, and it provides the ability for bounce flash as well, which, at least to me, is a huge improvement in flash lighting. I had the FZ-28, and the Canon Sx-10, finally settling on the FZ-28. After selling the FZ-28, I moved up to the FZ-35, and have been very pleased with it.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jan 6, 2010 at 11:07 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:03 AM   #7

With the FZ35, I've seen very good samples using the extended zoom and lowering the MP's to 9mp. (lowering the mp's on the camera lets you extend it's optical zoom)...

Last edited by anthony_b; Jan 6, 2010 at 11:09 AM.
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:06 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_b View Post
With FZ35, I've seen very good samples using the extended zoom and lowering the MP's to 9mp. (lowering the mp's on the camera lets you extend it's optical zoom
IMO there is little point in doing so, yes it has a narrower field of view so looks like you are zoomed in more, however you are then reducing quality at other lengths. You are better to just shoot at full res and crop if you need to.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:55 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for your input.
All I have to do now is save the pennies!
carolevirginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 2:53 AM   #10

To all the sr. members..
which camera between this two..do you think is value for money considering the picture quality,zoom and other features..please..
jim007 is offline   Reply With Quote