Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 6, 2010, 5:32 PM   #1

Default Interested in Coolpix P80 but need video w/adj. zoom

I'm currently using a Fuji Finepix S700 7.1 mp that I got second hand. I like it, but the auto focus has a terrible time taking video in low contrast conditions (low light, overcast, zoomed in (10x). My wife and I are new pilots and we take video of each others takeoffs and landings.

The zoom of the P80 is very attractive, as well as the VR feature. I'd be sold if only the zoom was adjustable while recording video. Are there any alternatives in the price range ?

Thanks.
Logo10heli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2010, 6:54 PM   #2

logo10heli-

Welcome to the Forum- We're pleased you dropped by.

The P-90 is the current flagship super zoom in the Nikon P+S line this year. The P-80 was part of the 2008 line-up that Initially sold for about $350.00.

In today's 2010 market, The Sony H-20 is highly regarded 10X optical zoom camera that does HD video that allows you to zoom while filming. It is priced at around $240.00. If you need more zoom there is the Panasonic FZ-35 that has 18X optical zoom and also allows zooming while filming and records in stereo sound. The FZ-35 is currently selling for around $330.00. So there are a couple that you can check out.

Have a great day. BTW I am also a licensed pilot as well with nearly 38,000 hours in my log book.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:46 PM   #3

Thank you for the warm welcome mtclimber. I've browsed many camera reviews at this site but wasn't aware of the forums until yesterday.

I've looked into your suggestions. The Sony H20 is attractive to me with its 10x zoom and the HD video option. I wasn't aware HD video was available in this price range. The Coolpix P90 catches my eye with the 24x optical zoom, image stabilization, and video capability (although not HD). The Panasonic FZ-35 is also in the running with 18x optical zoom while recording and stereo sound.

Can the zoom be used while recording video with the Coolpix P90, ? I'm still researching but haven't found the answer yet.

Thanks !
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:08 PM   #4

logo10heli-

The P-90 cannot zoom while filming.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 7:39 PM   #5

mtclimber,

Thank you for your suggestions. After much research, I've decided on the Panasonic FZ35. It appears to suit my needs quite well.