Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:48 PM   #21

please forgive the lack of knowledge here...

I checked the manual again..and two things..

1) you can select a focus point ..there are 11 point available. (select mode)

2) there is AF-C which supposedly will track a moving target. (when shutter button is pressed 1/2 way)

I understand that the lites won't lite up indicating which point the camera chose (but that is only of significance in auto mode - correct??)

I know in other cameras I've tried the auto focus mode sometimes chose a point I didn't want..which I found annoying. But given the limited skills and experience...that could be just me.

I know..like everything else you gain insight AFTER you've experienced it...LOL. But i also know 'second hand gold is just as good as new' so thanks for sharing your (2nd hand gold )experiences with me...
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 3:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
... My only complaint with the Kx is that it does not show in the optical viewfinder where the camera is actually focusing. ...
I can't seem to get a good copy of the K-x manual off the Pentax website, but on other dSLRs I've used, if the camera is set to AF-C, the focus points don't light up.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 5:54 PM   #23

Default The Issue is Important to Me

The display of the focus point in the optical viewfinder occurs when NOT in Continuous Focus, but in single focus, and it occurs in the Program, as well as in Shutter Priority, and Aperture Priority.

Perhaps for some it is not an issue. However, for me, it is a significant issue. And moving to center point focus, defeats the multi point focus concept.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 6:56 PM   #24
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I can't seem to get a good copy of the K-x manual off the Pentax website, but on other dSLRs I've used, if the camera is set to AF-C, the focus points don't light up.
the focus points on the k-x never light up.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 12:39 PM   #25

I was hoping someone could tell me HOW important the focus lites are to them.

I guess i am wondering if it is something a person could live with, particularly if you are not used to them being there.

From that question I am led to...systems. If I decide to stay with the Pentax K-x and living with 'no lites' (thinking that possibly I would move up in the future)..is the Pentax system worth it? Or should i bite and get the T1i (even if I can't my dealer to budge) and get into the Canon system.

As far as systems go..how do the 2 compare. Keeping in mind..it's a hobby abiet not a large one yet...

BTW...I will only pester you guys for no more then 2 more weeks...then i am going to Costa Rica

(I better check...maybe they are cheaper there......)
Old Jan 9, 2010, 12:48 PM   #26
Super Moderator

which system is best for you largely depends on what you are shooting.
for general shooting, either system will do you great. pentax has a large variety of nice prime lenses as well as the ability to use older manual focus lenses.

if you shoot sports, action, birdsinflight etc, the canon AF system is proven.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 12:51 PM   #27

It should not be a big issue for someone that have not gotten accustomed to them. It is a minor thing for me when I was using the k-x. It really did not bother me to much not having the lights.

Since this is a hobby I doubt that you will out grow the k-x anytime soon. And by the time you decide you want an upgrade, the pentax will have gotten even better. Also, pentax like canon can use all AF lenses design for them no matter how old. So lens transition will not be an issue.

When back in my film days, I used a canon ae-1 program for 10 years before I move to a eos 630, then transition to a eos 1 not because I outgrew the 630, but wanted to treat myself, and I have been using an eos 1 since 1995, and just switch over to digital with the T1i. And the eos 1 is still an excellent film slr.

Do pester us with photos form costa rica when you get back.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 12:52 PM   #28
Super Moderator

offtopic- i still have my eos 630 lol (though i can't remember the last time i shot film)
Old Jan 9, 2010, 12:56 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
offtopic- i still have my eos 630 lol (though i can't remember the last time i shot film)
I still have mine, still on the wall shelf as a display, with room right next to it for the eos 1 once I decide to take film out completely. Just looking for a ae-1 program on ebay to round out my camera collection. It got stolen a long time ago.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 2:16 PM   #30

Thanks for all your comments...tricky decision for sure...I shoot generally..general shots. Its the odd time I shoot moving objects..wildlife rather than sports. I do like to take the unique type shots..like hards did with the building and mtngal with the rose..but I am not sure I have talent yet

Landscape seems to be 'the' easy thing as well as macro..

Hards you said canon AF for action..but what good is pentax again??? (briefly)..I have read your comments in the other thread about quality btw...

As for CR pixs......ok for sure...I hear the woman are beautiful there...

oh and my first camera..Oly OM-1 still is here........and this is my second camera purchase