Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:15 PM   #1

Default Canon XSi and Pentax K-X

I am trying both out right now. And tonite I was shooting into a dark living room to check AF in low light.

The Pentax refused to focus..the Canon had no trouble.

Any reason why? Both used the flash focus assist???

Am I correct to state that in low lite the Canon is better???
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:30 PM   #2

Hi there, LittleJohn-

Yes, Pentax has indeed improved their focusing system on the Kx, but they still have not managed to match Canon. That is unfortunate, as the Kx represents a huge step up for Pentax.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:48 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Yes, in the entry level dslr market, Canon's autofocus system is yet to be matched.

in many other respects though, the KX is a better performer.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:51 PM   #4

Default That may be true, but

I have had a the K-X for about 7 weeks and haven't had problems with focusing. I am not saying that you or others didn't. But one advantage that the K-X has over the XSi is the higher available useable ISO settings. If you want to go Canon, and want to shoot in really low light, I suggest you test the T1I, which has the higher ISO settings (and video), like the K-X.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:41 AM   #5

Thanks folks;

Hard...how so is it a better performer?

Robbo; the Xsi was a boxing day special..that i can return and will IF i can upgrade to the T1i at the boxing day price...LOL.. (The parent store offered the T1i and the sub store offered the Xsi..I saw the latter later)

Sarah the kx is a 'nice' camera..I like the feel. the only thing I didn't like is the on off switch which is a little small..and in a 'quick draw' not easy to turn on..whereas the canon can be on with the thumb and the trigger finger ready to go... The canon interestingly doesn't have a lite when its on...

I was shooting both in auto..and the canon flash kept on firing till it focused. The KX didn't. The flash won't flash continuously in Auto. It is SUPPOSED to in other modes...but it didn't always seem to..in fact more often not...

Last edited by littlejohn; Jan 7, 2010 at 1:43 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:47 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
Thanks folks;

Hard...how so is it a better performer?
it offers numerically higher ISO's as well as offering lower noise within the shared iso range, i.e. lower noise at iso 1600. it also offers hd video.

it also offers in-body image stabilization. the caveat to this is, it is not the best image stabilization (~1.5 stops from most accounts), compared to the >2 stops found on most canon image stab lenses. so this is a plus and minus, you get image stabilization on all your lenses with pentax, but its not as good as the lens based canon.

the canon does have the autofocus advantage both in low light, and in tracking moving subjects.

the t1i is actually a better comparison to the k-x, albeit at a greater price.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
the canon does have the autofocus advantage both in low light, and in tracking moving subjects.

the t1i is actually a better comparison to the k-x, albeit at a greater price.

good info...to know, thanks...I thought the T1i and Kx was a better comparison as well, but I was basing that on iso levels.

Would you say the T1i has the edge on the kx?

As for AF and moving objects, if I was shooting wildlife would I notice a significant difference in the focus speed?

I realize it would depend on the speed of the wildlife of course, but something along the lines of horse speed rather than cheeta speed..
Old Jan 7, 2010, 5:57 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
good info...to know, thanks...I thought the T1i and Kx was a better comparison as well, but I was basing that on iso levels.

Would you say the T1i has the edge on the kx?

As for AF and moving objects, if I was shooting wildlife would I notice a significant difference in the focus speed?

I realize it would depend on the speed of the wildlife of course, but something along the lines of horse speed rather than cheeta speed..
The T1i is a step above in regard to AF. The key element for your needs is not the focus speed but the accuracy when tracking a subject. The Canon AF is a very mature system (as is Nikon) so their algorithms are better for following your flying bird or running horse. I'm not saying that the Kx can't do it but you are going to be at a disadvantage.

Having said that I think the Kx is a cool little camera and Pentax has done a good job in this space of the market.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:34 AM   #9

One thing to add - when you talk about moving objects, the camera is only part of the equation. The LENS used plays an important part. In quality wildlife/sports lenses, the lens itself has a fast focusing motor in it. The camera is the brains and the lens is the brawn. I only bring this up so you realize - if you want to shoot moving subjects a lot, don't expect the camera itself to be the only thing you need to purchase. The lens makes a huge difference in your success. ANd that is independent of camera system.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:31 AM   #10

appreciate the comments mark and john.....