Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:37 PM   #1

Default For all you Canadians out there

Ok so I think I have made a decision about the camera - taking the plunge and going for the Fuji F70...
Noticing the prices online are cheaper and in the US even cheaper... the with the strong Canadian Dollar I am thinking of ordering from there...
What is the story with customs and extra fees besides shipping? Anybody have experience with this..
My other option is to get it shipped to someone in the states who is coming up.. but not sure I want to do that.
Also how does it work with warranty etc? Are these covered as North American or do I need to go to the states for that?
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:55 PM   #2

From the Barrie, Ontario area myself

Oddly enough, I was thinking about this myself while driving back from Henry's after trying out the Rebel series from Canon. I'm not sure about customs. But, you shouldn't have too much issue purchasing online and having it shipped. Just make sure the exchange rate is current. I'd also wait a wee bit as our Dollar is suppose to be on par with the US VERY soon.
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 1:30 AM   #3

The cheapest way to get something from the US is to have it sent to someone in the US who then ships it to you as a gift, that way you won't have to pay duty. If you purchase it from the US, you will have to pay duty which is essentially GST and PST.

I live in the GTA and I am thinking of buying a Panasonic FZ-35 from Abes of Maine since it looks to be much cheaper even with shipping and duty than buying from Henrys.

I would just make sure that the warranty is usable in Canada first, you would do this by contacting the Manufacturer, i.e. I will be contacting Panasonic Canada.
AtariJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 7:00 AM   #4

Here is a link to the Customs and Tariffs (as of 2009). http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-com...blmod-eng.html Photographic equipment is in Section XVIII, Article 90. Most items appear to have little or no duty applied. You would be responsible for GST and PST on imported items. Watch out for UPS/FedEx deliveries as the brokerage fees are terrible. US Postal Service is the best choice. Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 12:20 AM   #5

thanks all for you replies... realized that the fuji canada warranty is 2yr instead of the us 1 yr.. spoke to 2 diff ppl at fuji- 1 said warranty would be honored other said no.. prob gonna just get here - see if bestbuy will price match newegg.ca
Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nech770 View Post
thanks all for you replies... realized that the fuji canada warranty is 2yr instead of the us 1 yr.. spoke to 2 diff ppl at fuji- 1 said warranty would be honored other said no.. prob gonna just get here - see if bestbuy will price match newegg.ca

Considering my problem with Fuji....I won't every buy one. I got the double speak too.
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 12:39 PM   #7

littlejohn,
What was your problem with fuji?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:47 PM   #8

I did a little more research and found this site:

http://www.photoprice.ca/

They explain what charges you'll incur via shipping from the US (if thats still an option for you). They suggest getting something shipped via USPS and said that UPS/FED-EX hike up their charges for cross-boarder transport. So, even though there's no duty you are still facing high charges, etc.

Very interesting read.
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nech770 View Post
littlejohn,
What was your problem with fuji?

It was regarding repair. I emailed and described the problem..camera shows a black screen etc and I described what worked and what didn't. The carmera was working one day and not the next....just quit . They wrote back and said..yep sounds like the CCD and its a known defect and we'll repair it free. Send it in we'll have our guys look at it. (apparently it was a problem with the glue)

I had done some searching about this problem and my research also said ccd was the likely culprit.

So I sent it in..paid the freight.

Got an email a week later...the problem is with the lens...price $300.

Whoa wait a minute...you entice me by saying a possible free repair, and when you find out you were wrong (understandable) and now you want $300 and if i want the camera I would have to pay freight??...Sureee you get a camera..repair it cheaply and resell it.

Needless to say I expressed my disappointment and eventually got the 'big kahuna' and got a discount....15% for misleading me...I didn't take them up on it... and pestered them enough to send it back at no charge..which they finally did.

I found the whole experience rather 'cold'. It was certainly a david and goliath experience from their customer service.

The funny thing was I explained that i was in the market for another camera as this was my wife's...also they should have known that $300 buys a lot of camera today (it was a Fine Pix S20 Pro).

They shoulda said..Look we thought it was the CCD, but it wasn't. the cost to repair this camera is $300, but perhaps you would rather put that money towards a more advanced and newer camera. A comparable would be model XXX of which we can provide a XXX discount and with your $300 the net price would be_____.

The other puzzling thing was they probably spent $300 in time and labour. From receiving the camera, inspecting it, emails back and forth, getting the big brass involved, and shipping it back......that itself told me volumes about the company...

Many business out there realize that selling to a customer even at a lower profit..eliminates a sale for the 'other guy'. And do this enough and the 'other guy' can't survive.
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote