Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:00 PM   #1

Default I want a DSLR!

I currently own a Canon S2-IS. I think it is now time to upgrade to an entry-level DSLR, because I'm not happy with the quality of pictures that the Canon is taking (could be getting old). I especially don't like the low-light/auto flash pictures. Some pics are fuzzy as well (even though it indicates it is in focus).

So after much reviewing online, I came across the Pentax K-x. It gets rave reviews. I had been looking at comparable Nikon's and Canon's (specifically the D-3000 and XS or XSi. So now I'm confused. The Pentax seems to be at a great price, so the question is - which one???

FYI, I love taking pics of my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, my kids, macro, and landscapes.
soansari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:16 PM   #2

Well the K-X is really design at the same level as the T1i a high end "entry dslr" but is price is in the range with the d3000 and the XSi. It is a very good camera, and will perform well good. It may be a bit behind canon XSi in the Autofocus department, but has allot of nice features that the XSi and d3000 lack like HD and HDR. Also the K-x is a easier transition from p&s to dslr, as it gives you allot of art filters and menus options.

For what you like to shoot, the K-x, XSi will preform just fine, but I would recommend a dictated marco lens for the close up work.

The d3000 is a bit behind compare to the other 2 camera, and would not be that good for low light and night shots due to the low iso ability. And lenses for it, is limited compare to the canon and the pentax.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 7, 2010 at 6:52 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:16 PM   #3

Default Selecting an Entry Level DSLR Camera

Generally speaking all of then current entry level DSLR cameras are capable of producing very good image quality. The challenge is to find the DSLR that best meets your needs. That challenge is multi-faceted ranging from focus capability, lenses needed for specialized appllications, and even down to how the camera feel in hand, and how well the controls are implemented, and how your hand span matches those controls.

The Pentax Kx model has received very good professional reviews, just like other entry level DSLR cameras. Using those reviews, make a determination as to which DSLR camera matches up with your current as well as future needs. Visit a retail outlet where you can physically handle multiple DSLR cameras, you will indeed find a diffrence in your personal responce to the various DSLR cameras.

Have a great day
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by soansari View Post
... FYI, I love taking pics of my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, my kids, macro, and landscapes.
The Pentax K-x is a fine camera, but it sounds like, between the dog and the kids, there may be a lot of action going on. While the Pentax K-x isn't bad at that, the Canon T1i is better. Also, if any of that action happens indoors, Canon has a better selection of large apertrue telephoto lenses to capture it.

On the other hand, the Pentax uses sensor shift image stabilization in the camera body, so all macro lenses are stabilized. While Canon has some excellent macro lenses, only one of them is stabilized, and it's expensive. Third party manufacturers have macro lenses for both brands as well, but they'll be stabilized on the Pentax but not on the Canon.

It sounds like your kids and dog would be a priority, so the compromise I'd go with in your position would be the Canon.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:34 PM   #5

All of the above replies gave me some great info! I had considered the XTi, but I think it's a bit out of my price range..body only is over $700. The Pentax with 2 kit lenses (18-55 and 50-200) is $700. So, I think the question I have to ask myself is whether or not I'm going to progress well beyond the amateur dslr consumer, in which case it may be better to get the Canon. I've held the XTi and XSi, but not the Pentax, so I need to find that one and see what it's like in my hand.

I've also been reading great things about the Canon SX20. I know it's not a dslr, but is it an upgrade from the S2IS that I already have?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:39 PM   #6

Actually you can get the pentax with the 18-55 and 55-300 kit for 720. Better reach then the 55-200 lens.

Since the sx20 is a p&s bridge camera there is not much on manual adjustments then a pure P&S. Also it has a smaller sensor then a DSLR so at higher iso shooting, you will get more nosie. Especially in low light and night shots compare to a dslr.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 7, 2010 at 6:41 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:46 PM   #7

Default It's an upgrade, but ...

The SX20 would be an upgrade. It would give you more zoom (28 to 560mm). It would give you more wide angle opportunities. It may focus faster. It will give you HD video.

A DSLR will give you much better low light capabilities. It will give you a chance to blur the background around an object/person due to a shallower depth of field. It will probably give you a faster continuous shooting rate.

I have the K-X. It's my third Pentax DSLR. It's my favorite so far. If I had to choose from among entry level DSLR's, I would pick the T1i (not the three year old XTI), the K-x, and the Sony F330.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:53 PM   #8

Thanks Robbo and Shoturtle...that was what I was thinking regarding the SX20. I guess I'm waffling between making the dslr commitment or being lazy and sticking with a p/s - ha! But I do hate my low light and night shot pics taken with the S2IS.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:57 PM   #9

remember that the pentax has allot of art filters built is, so it can act as a high tech point and shoot when you do not want to fuss around. This is the camera I recommended to my brother as he is new to dslr. It gives a hugh fall back net for point and shoot users.

Check out the youtube workshop from this site. It is very good for new dslr users, and you can use it to see if shooting with dslr is something you are really interested in.

www.dslrtips.com
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:01 PM   #10

Hey shoturtle...didn't know that about the Pentax! Also, I do take quick videos with my current Canon, but I don't think the XTi or XSi has that capability - correct?