Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 9, 2010, 10:35 AM   #11

Thank you for all your help and advice. I didn't realize until last night that my sister has the Sony H10...which I believe is pretty similar to the H20. I handled it last night and didn't think it seemed as big as I thought it was going to be.

Now, one more question. If I were to drop my price range to $200ish and settle for a shorter zoom...say something in the 4-5x range what camera would you recommend? Something that still took good videos which allow the use of a zoom during recording.

Thank you again. I sure appreciate your help.
Jewey74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 11:16 AM   #12

You can look at something like the canon SX200, it has come down in price in the sub 250. I has hd, 3200iso, and 12x zoom. It is also pocket size. But like all p&s you will need to get close in low light for the flash to be effective.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 9, 2010 at 11:21 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 11:19 AM   #13

Jewey-

That is a sticky question. The Fuji F-70EXR and Canon SX-120 are currently available at $199.00 but neither has HD video and the F-70EXR, while a great camera, do have a learning curve for the EXR component.

We are not talking a big difference here. Imy humble opinion, the H-20 (around $240) still remains your #1 Choice, and the Panasonic ZR-1, at $216 at amazon remains your #2 choice, providing you are willing to deal with the reduced Flash Range.

The adoption is not a time to be experimenting or learning a new camera, so that rules out the F-70EXR. The Canon SX-120 is good but has image quality that does not come up to the H-20 or ZR-1 level. regarding the Canon SX-200: the current model does not zoom while filming HD video.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 11:20 AM   #14

Something like the SD780IS, it has hd, 3200iso, and a 3x zoom. It is very compact. It is around 200
Old Jan 9, 2010, 12:38 PM   #15

Shoturtle-

The Canon SD-780 IS does well with its HD video. However, it is not a very good performer when shooting still shots.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 9, 2010, 12:57 PM   #16

In the 200 and under market, there are not to many choices for a p&s with HD and low light ability. You compromise on something, weather it is HD, or still performance. As Sarah mention.

I would go with a with a higher grade camera like the sx200 or the sony H20. These photo and video is going to be life time memories of a joyful moment. I consider the extra 50-60 dollars as an investment in your memories.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:38 PM   #17

One more question...aside from the weak flash on the ZR1...is image quality of it and the H20 similar?
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:18 PM   #18

jewey-

Outdoors the ZR-1 and H-20 will have very similar image quality, with the ZR-1 nosing slightly ahead due to its nice wide angle position on the zoom lens. However, when you look at indoor image quality, the ZR-1 falls substantially behind the H-20 due to it tiny, weak built-in flash unit which limits the flash range to only 6 to 8 feet.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:47 PM   #19

Thanks again, Sarah Joyce...

I'm sorry to keep pounding you with questions, but...

All the images I see with both of these cameras are outdoor pictures. Do you know where I can sample images of indoor shots of people? I just can't seem to find much. I have browsed on flickr, but again...lots of outdoor shots.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 1:14 AM   #20

jewey-

I will look over on P-Base and see if I can find some examples for you.

Sarah Joyce