Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 17, 2010, 8:51 PM   #31

I have no advice for you, but I couldn't read this thread and not offer you a Congratulations!!!!
my1hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:13 AM   #32

Congratulations, Jewey-

That is wonderful news! I am sure that you both are very excited. When will you be leaving for Ethiopia? Please take lots of photos, it will be the event of a lifetime. The Panasonic ZR-1 is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, 0/19, so I will have photos to post shortly thereafter.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 1:23 PM   #33

Thank you everyone. We are still floating on cloud nine!

Sarah Joyce, I look forward to seeing some of your test shots from the ZR-1.

Thanks again!!
Jewey74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 1:32 PM   #34

Jewey-

The ZR-1 is scheduled to arrive this afternoon. As soon as it arrives, I will charge the battery and take the necessary sample shots.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 19, 2010, 2:49 PM   #35

Default Congrats Jewey on the GREAT NEWS!!

Congrats on the great news... so exciting...
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 3:14 PM   #36

Congrats on the news also
Old Jan 19, 2010, 6:23 PM   #37

The UPS Lady just arrived with the Panasonic ZR-1 camera. So while the battery is charging, I can give you a few views of the ZR-1 camera. Size-wise, the ZR-1 is credit card sized and it is 5/8" thick, front to back. It lens zoom begins at 25mm (a very nice wide angle) and extends to 200mm.

As you will see from the attached photo, the ZR-1 has a very TINY built-in flash unit. To compound the problem the built-in flash is positioned way too close to the lens, for comfort. We will soon see how powerful it is when we take our sample photos.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jan 19, 2010, 7:10 PM   #38

The ZR-1 battery got about 1/2 a charge in 48 minutes. So, now we can now experiment with some sample photos. This first photo is of my husband, Bradley. The Flash Range (the distance measured in feet from camera to subject) on this photo was 6 feet and the camera was not zoomed, but the photo was cropped during editing. The ZR-1 used F 3.3 (the max aperture) at ISO 400 (ISO had been set to Auto) and a shutter speed of 1/30th of a second.

This is a very adequate snapshot quality photo taken at the 12mp setting. The 12 mp allowed easy cropping into a standard 8" X 10" format. Noise is held well under control. There is some shadowing, as you would expect from on camera flash.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jan 19, 2010, 7:18 PM   #39

In this 2nd photo, I decided to see what the ZR-1 would do when I increased the flash range to 15 feet. Naturally, to get the photo I had to use some of the 8X optical zoom, and as a result, as I zoomed out, the aperture was reduced. The exposure chose by the ZR-1 in the Auto mode was F 5.2 1/40th of a second, using ISO 1250, at the 12mp resolution.

In view of that exposure, I cropped the phot on purpose to see how much visible noise would be displayed in the photo. At ISO 1250, the visible noise did show up, just as I expected.kep to a 4" X 6" print, the photo would still qualify as a snapshot, but the image does look "pushed."

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jan 19, 2010, 7:25 PM   #40

Here is the 3rd photo, this time of me. The flash range was again 6 feet. It was an experiment to see how a stranger who had never seen the camera before would handle the ZR-1 without any prior briefing. Bradley took the photo without difficulty, zooming in on me closely. No cropping was done on this photo. The ZR-1 Chose F 5.2 at 1/40th of a second, using ISO 500. This turned out to be the best of the three photos.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images