Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 19, 2010, 7:27 PM   #41

Wow...that is a big difference. The second shot is really grainy/noisy. The first shot looks pretty clear though.

Thank you so much. I think that just made my decision for me! I think I may have to up my budget...or wait a few months and see if the H20 comes down in price a little.

Do you have any comparison shots like this for the H20?
Jewey74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 7:36 PM   #42

And our last photo is a 100% crop of the previous photo of me. All in all, the Panasonic ZR-1 is a very convenient size, that will slip easily into pocket or purse. It does do HD video and you can zoom while filming. As a still camera it is a easy to use snapshot quality camera. In keeping with the intended use of the ZR-1, it compensated for that very TINY built-in flash by zooming the ISO where necessary. The improved IS system, and the new and improved image processor seems to make the ZR-1 pretty well.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 7:47 PM   #43

jewey-

I expected the second shot to show noise and grain, as I was pushing the flash range on purpose to see what the ZR-1 would do. But the result was what I predicted when we first began discussing cameras, over 10 to 12 days ago.

The little TINY built-in flash unit is what causes the problem with the ZS-1, ZS-3 , all of the TZ models, as well as the ZR-1. That is why I was suggesting the Sony H-20 early on. And the final delivered price of the ZR-1 was $214.95 on my credit card. That is only about $25.00 less, than the some physically larger, H-20 is selling for right now.

I will add H-20 photos, but I just do not have another two hours to devote to doing a set of H-20 photos right now because I have dinner staring me in the face. It probably will not be until tomorrow that I can get a set of H-20 photos posted. But I must assure that there is no camera in the $150.00 range that can capture the kind of photos that I perceive you desire.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 19, 2010, 7:57 PM   #44
Super Moderator

the ISO 500 is not too bad really. better than i expected. decent compromise between noise reduction and detail retention for a 12mp compact.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:29 PM   #45

Jewey-

OK, as requested, here are the Sony H-20 comparison shots, I still have dinner dishes to do, but I got these cranked out for you. The first photo is Bradley once again at a flash range of 6 feet. The H-20 chose F 3.5 at 1/40th of a second at ISO 400. That is almost exactly the very same exposure we saw on the ZR-1. What was different, was the flash light output. I had to use EV- 1.3 of flash compensation to keep the H-20 from over exposing. So the two big differences are (1) the greater flash output (2) a reduction in mp's. The ZR-1 was using 12mps, the H-20 used 8.1 mp.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:36 PM   #46

As you can see, Jewey-

These photos duplicate those that I took for the ZR-1. This is the flash range 15 feet photo. Look at the difference in exposure! It was again due to the added volume of light from the H-20's built-in flash unit. The H-20 chose F 4.0 at 1/40th of a second using ISO 400, instead of the ISO 1250 that the ZR-1 had to use.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:44 PM   #47

jewey-

Once again the 3rd photo is of me, and I asked Bradley to zoom in tightly just as he had done with the ZR-1 photo. The exposure was F 4.0 at 1/50th and the ISO used was again ISO 400. Just as I had to do in Photo #1, I had to use EV -1.3 units of flash compensation, to throttle back the powerful H-20 built-in fllash unit. The Flash range here was again 6 feet.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:49 PM   #48

Jewey-

Finally here is the 4th photo, a 100% crop of the last photo of me. which is just like the 4th photo in the ZR-1 series. The difference in the image quality comes from the H-20 because of the powerful built-in flash unit, and due, I also believe to, the reduced pixel density. It is 8.1mp on the H-20, while in contrast the ZR-1 was using 12mps.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:22 PM   #49

OK, Jewey-

I decided to follow-up on my pixel density theory. So I re-took the #2 photo. That is the one at a flash range of 15 feet with the ZR-1. But notice how much of a difference there is in this photo. There is none of that heavy gain and/or noise that we saw in the original photo. The natural question is what made the difference??

I reduced the resolution setting on the ZR-1 from 12mp to 8mp just like the H-20 has. It produced a very sizable change. The exposure this time was F 5.4 at 1/50th of a second using an ISO setting of 1000. The result is dramatically different, there is still a little noise and grain in that image, but the image quality has be really improved and the noise really reduced substantially.

I think it is a much better photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jan 24, 2010, 4:29 PM   #50

Sarah Joyce, thank you for all your time and effort! I do appreciate it.

I just ordered the H20. It was $249 on Amazon yesterday but was down to $219 today. Looking forward to trying it out.

Thanks again
Jewey74 is offline   Reply With Quote