Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 8, 2010, 1:12 AM   #1

Default Backup to D40 advice

My husband and I are adopting a baby from Ethiopia. I am not sure i want to take my Dslr there due to its size mainly. I am looking for a camera that will take crisp pictures indoors in a variety of lighting situations. I Also want video of good quality as this will be a pretty big event in our lives. Prefer to stay around $250. Thank you for your suggestions. I have been considering the lumix zs3.
Jewey74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:30 AM   #2

While I cannot comment on the precise Camera you should take, I would suggest something very easy to handle. When we traveled to adopt our son there seemed to so many things that took our attention, we needed the camera, but it had to be tucked into the diaper bag and ready to use very quick. My wife took so many pictures that we filled a 4 gig card the second day (I quietly removed a lot of dups that night). Make sure that you are both familiar with how to use it! All that said, CONGRATULATIONS on the new addition!
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:49 AM   #3
Super Moderator

i would not get the ZS3 for indoor shots. that is not where it performs at its best.

for that price look at the Sony H20
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 11:04 AM   #4

Jewey-

Welcome to the Forum. We're please you dropped by.

And if small physical size is a high priority, the Panasonic ZR-1. However, you must keep in mind its weaker built-in flash and keep the flash range at 6 to 8 feet. The flash range is the distance from camera to subject, measured in feet.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:49 PM   #5

Default Thank you

Thanks for the great advice. I was looking at the ZS3 exclusively until I heard about the ZR1. The Sony H20 looks like it might be better in low light, but I want something that is smaller and more pocketable. I mainly will be using this as a purse camera for after we get our baby...for those spur-of-the-moment times when I don't have the D40 with me. I also want it for the video since I don't have a camcorder. I am a little worried about NOT taking the D40 in that I will be disappointed with image quality of these once-in-a-lifetime pictures. But then again, I don't really want the hassle of lugging around my camera bag with the camera and three lenses in it either.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 1:52 PM   #6
Super Moderator

As long as you stay within the flash range, the ZR1 is a good choice with really good HD video, fast performance, fast start up times.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 1:55 PM   #7

jewey-

It is a "trade-off" situation. Sure the D-40 kit will produce better image quality, but so will a $2,000 Leica as well. My first choice would be the Sony H-20, if a smaller physical size is an issue then go with the ZR-1 and reduce the flash range. Both have very good image quality, with the H-20 being the better choice for image quality indoors and outdoors. The ZR-1 does well outdoors, and has a lower indoor image quality.

Enjoy your great adventure.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 8, 2010, 3:33 PM   #8

Can you use SD cards with the H20? I am guessing not since it's a Sony. The Memory Sticks are so pricey and would be an added expense. That may be the deciding factor.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 7:00 PM   #9

Jewey-

The price of Sony Memory Sticks Pro Duo has fallen substantially. The H-20 is clearly the better camera, but the ZR-1 is also a good choice, if you keep the flash range to 6 to 8 feet. The ZS-3 is a dud indoors, I found out after buying one myself.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:01 PM   #10
Super Moderator

yea, the memory stick pro duo's have come down alot. i got an 8gb for under 30$ for my PSP, and would work just fine in any camera as well as it is a fast card.