Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 9, 2010, 9:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Yes, the Canon S-90 is really worth the money. It easily slips into my purse, and I find that I use it more than just about any other camera. Please do be sure to use the wrist strap that comes with the S-90. The camera is very small and easy to fumble. The Franiec grip I am told solves this problem.

The image quality has been very good and it is very fast to focus. The flash range is 10 to 12 feet and with a good slave flash can be extended to 25 feet. Attached is a handheld photo from a recent Las Vegas trip.

Sarah Joyce
Hi there Sarah --

Did you decide to keep the S90 after all, or did you buy another one? In another thread you had indicated that you returned both the S90 and the G11 back in November.

In any event, I'm glad that you have had a change of heart and are now enjoying the camera.

All the best.
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 9:34 AM   #12

Hi Jazzer251,

Thanks for the reply. I would appreciate some shots if you dont mind. I went to the store to play with the S90 and I like but dont like. Yes - the wheel of death is a pain. Wish it was tighter and clickable as you turn. Also - When you zoom - it tends to ge difficult to focus and photos become blurry so I cant zoom unless im on a tripod I guess. Oh and I noticed that my only choice for preview is either 0 seconds or 2 seconds and up after I take a shot. I think they should have offered a 1 second preview as 2 seconds seems a bit to long before I can take another shot.

Everything else on the camera seems great with the exception of getting into a habit of not placing my fingers on the flash popup.

Im going to play with the SD990 today to compare even though I understand its inferior to the S90 in terms of quality. However, Canon is saying that all the powershots have the SAME PROCESSOR. I thought the S90 had a HIGHER POWERED PROCESSOR?
cheezisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 9:58 AM   #13

Cheezisgood-

It is not true that all Canon Powershot cameras have the same processor.

For example the Canon S-90 uses the Digic IV processor, while the Canon SD-990 uses older and less powerful Digic III processor. The difference is the processor does indeed affect the camera performance. The SD-990 is also a generation older than the S-90 camera.

And by the way, the Canon SD-990 also uses the same 1/1.7" image chip (14.7mp) that was installed on the Canon G-10. That image chip does fine in lots of nice bright sunshine, but begins to show noise whenever you numerically increase the ISO setting above its Base ISO setting.

Have a great day
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 10:36 AM   #14

Hi Jazzer251,

Thanks for the reply. I would appreciate some shots if you dont mind.
Sure -- see below for a link
Also - When you zoom - it tends to ge difficult to focus and photos become blurry so I cant zoom unless im on a tripod I guess.
Not sure about this. At higher zoom lengths the lens is not as fast as it is on the wide end so the camera may use a slower shutter speed and/or increase ISO.
Oh and I noticed that my only choice for preview is either 0 seconds or 2 seconds and up after I take a shot. I think they should have offered a 1 second preview as 2 seconds seems a bit to long before I can take another shot.

I'm not sure why they don't have a 1 sec. preview. Maybe they figured that wasn't enough time to really examine the photo. I don't believe you have to wait for the preview to end before taking another shot -- of course you won't be able to use the LCD to frame a new shot until the preview is over. This probably doesn't help you, but you can also put the preview on "hold" which will hold the preview on the LCD after you take a picture, but will cancel as soon as you half depress the shutter button.
you can find some of my random S90 shots here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157622632985403/

If you do a search on flickr for Canon S90 you will find many photos by others using the camera.

Best of luck.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 11:12 AM   #15

Nice photos, Jazzer.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 9, 2010, 12:09 PM   #16
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezisgood View Post
Hi Jazzer251,

Im going to play with the SD990 today to compare even though I understand its inferior to the S90 in terms of quality. However, Canon is saying that all the powershots have the SAME PROCESSOR. I thought the S90 had a HIGHER POWERED PROCESSOR?
i have not heard any focus problems with the s90. and none specific to full zoom focusing. so i am not sure what you were experiencing.

also, its not the processor that sets the s90 apart, its the sensor. it uses a lower pixel density higher sensitivity sensor that shows alot less noise, especially at higher ISOs. the s990 is the opposite, it is one of the most pixel dense sensors made and really only does well at low iso in good light.

if you were to get a different powershot. i would have a look at the S940IS over the S990IS. its sensor is a little less dense and does a little better overall image quality wise, and offers a wider angle lens.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 1:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Nice photos, Jazzer.

Sarah Joyce
Thank you, Sarah. Much appreciated.

Cheezisgood -- Per Hards80 comment re: the zoom focusing, I also have not experienced any focusing problem when zooming nor have I heard of anyone having similar issues.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 3:44 PM   #18

Ditto here as well.No focusing problems.

Sarah Joyce