Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 8, 2010, 9:10 AM   #1

Default Canon Powershot S90 or SD990?

Looking into a Canon Powershot S90 or SD990. Would anyone have RECCO on either? Money isn't a problem or a decision maker. I just want a good camera - point and shoot that does everything but fits in my pocket. LOL

I like the S90 for its abilities but the flash thing is disconcerting as well as the way it looks.

The SD990 might look better but Im concerned that its a lesser of the two in terms of abilities?
cheezisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2010, 9:51 AM   #2
Super Moderator

the S90 is on a whole new level compared to the S990 in all respects. its really not even a fair comparison.

the pop-up flash works fine and i have not heard anyone have problems with it.

if money is no option, then the S90 is the easy choice, as right now it is the best compact digicam made (hence the price)
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:00 AM   #3

I own a Canon S-90 and the pop up flash is no problem at all. It may surprise you the first time it pops up, but that is all.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 11:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
the S90 is on a whole new level compared to the S990 in all respects. its really not even a fair comparison.

the pop-up flash works fine and i have not heard anyone have problems with it.

if money is no option, then the S90 is the easy choice, as right now it is the best compact digicam made (hence the price)
Thanks again for your responses Hards80!
Old Jan 8, 2010, 11:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
I own a Canon S-90 and the pop up flash is no problem at all. It may surprise you the first time it pops up, but that is all.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks Sarah Joyce!!!

How long have you owned this camera? Have you found any issues with it ... I.E. Size, plastic parts, noise, image quality, speed of 1st initial shot, flash distance, focus, color ... or well ... whatever since you have been using?

Does it fit in your pocket?

Not that its a big deal but is it worth the money?
Old Jan 8, 2010, 11:44 AM   #6

Yes, the Canon S-90 is really worth the money. It easily slips into my purse, and I find that I use it more than just about any other camera. Please do be sure to use the wrist strap that comes with the S-90. The camera is very small and easy to fumble. The Franiec grip I am told solves this problem.

The image quality has been very good and it is very fast to focus. The flash range is 10 to 12 feet and with a good slave flash can be extended to 25 feet. Attached is a handheld photo from a recent Las Vegas trip.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:35 PM   #7

Default [B]Is this true[/B]?

Thanks so much Sarah! NICE PIC.

I hope you don't mind but I have another question - I found this CNET review stating "Cons: Terrible flash placement, washed out LCD PureColor II screen when viewing dark images, hand strap does not have wrist lock, poor battery life, ring dial on back of camera is way too loose, no HD video, pricey, poor plastic build top/bottom of camera." FOUND HERE: http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...tml?tag=txt;uo

Is this true? I don't care much about Zooming or the HD Video as I feel if you're going to take videos - do it with a video camera.

I do, however, care about the quality of the body and its parts. If I drop it like it, will I have to look for a new camera?

Also - When holding your S90 at the top and bottom - does it make clicking noises due to the plastic top and bottom parts?

OK - ONE MORE THING >>HONESTLY<< - When viewing your shots after you take them - does the camera rotate the images depending on how you rotate the camera itself?

Again - Thanks sooo much for your input!!!!!
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:41 PM   #8
Super Moderator

cnet is not a photography review. it is a consumer electronic review. so bear that in mind.

the wheel on the back is something that you have to get used to, you really can adjust setting if not careful. but most users adjust quickly.

when i handled it, i was not disappointed in the build quality, seemed quite good. the review here at steve's' agreed.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...lusion-30.html

and yes, the s90 has an orientation sensor (so your images will be rotated)
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:49 PM   #9

I agree with, Dustin-

The build quality of the S-90 is fine. The flash placement and the wheel on the back are something that may stumble on once, but you easily and quickly learn to work around it. I mentioned the wrist strap already. It is important and the one that comes with the S-90 is just fine.

Any camera when dropped is going to take a beating. That is why you use the wrist strap. yes, the camera rotate the images.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 9, 2010, 8:08 AM   #10

Hi Cheez-

I own the S90 and have had it for a couple of months now. I don't have any problem with the build quality -- it actually feels pretty sturdy to me, although I wouldn't want to drop it or any other camera. The flexing/squeeking over the flash is something that has been reported by some, but I haven't noticed that problem with mine and some people say it's not a big deal anyway. You might want to check it if you buy one or can handle it at a store. The rear wheel is a little loose and can change a setting if you aren't paying attention, but it also serves a useful purpose of allowing quick changes of settings and scrolling through pictures. I don't have any real complaints with it.

If you are interested, let me know and I can post a few pictures (I am not an expert by any means and are not highly processed, so I would expect my shots are probably pretty typical of what you might expect if you know the basics).

Last edited by Jazzer251; Jan 9, 2010 at 8:20 AM.
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote