Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 9, 2010, 11:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Thanks for the entertainment, 30 min more and it time to land.

Sorry about the headaches of to many post though.
No head aches from posts......from reviews...

Enjoy your trip...
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 11:22 PM   #22

It is the end of the trip, leaving 30+ C for the winter wonderland of Germany and -10C. Talk about climate change.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 1:23 AM   #23

You may want to look at the e600, it is the replacement of the e520. It is slot to be just under the e620 with a bit less features.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 5:37 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post

So, can you describe what type(s) of photography you want to do?
I'll be aiming to shot nature/animals and city schenes. I'll also be willing to try to take some pictures at dawn/twillight of the same subjects above with no flash assistance, but for this I'm pretty sure I'd need a fast lens (would something around f2 do the trick?). Well, there's a lens for the 4/3 which cost around the same as the camera, but that is more for the medium/long run.

Here are some pictures I took with my Ixus. The image quality is good (for a P&S) and I was a bit impressed with the bokeh effect available with this type of cameras. Anyway, some of the subjects I'm interested in shooting are there.
PiotrFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 5:47 AM   #25

I forgot to mention that I tend to travel with usually a backpack only, and for this purpose I'd need a tool that would be small enough to not take too much space from my luggage.
That indeed one of the reasons I feel inclinated for the Olympus E-system. And also for this purpose, there's the pancake camera which seems really amazing.
I'll have to handle the E620 to see how it feels, as well as Nikon and Canon.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 5:58 AM   #26

size is a concern, I just flew back from capetown with carry on only, and had no room for my big camera bag with all my gear. Something like the e620 and the pancake, or the pentax k-x with their DA limited lenses would have been nice. The m4/3 are something I am considering, but they are very pricey still. But I think I will wait and see what comes out in march at the big camera show in the m4/3 line up.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 6:06 AM   #27

Like your photos very impressive for a point and shoot, I think something like the e620 will handle your needs nicely in the price range you are looking at of sub 650 US for 2 lenses. Or 550 range with one lens.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:25 AM   #28

Quote:
(...)
The m4/3 are something I am considering, but they are very pricey still.
(...)
I also considered the panasonic m4/3 but the price is really unappealing.

Quote:
Like your photos very impressive for a point and shoot, I think something like the e620 will handle your needs nicely (...)
Thanks for your comment.

I do think the E620 could do the job, but I need 1st to see how it feels in my hands. I handled the E600 the other day and it seemed alright (way better than the E420/450), although the bigger grip from the E520 felt more stable and a je-ne-sais-quoi sense of fullfilness (handling wise). Nevertheless, as far as I'm aware Olympus did increase that on the E620 so I need to find out.

Btw, I've seen JustinY's dilema in choosing the right camera and it was interesting to see how this things change someone's opinion. And I guess I had a similar dilema: I started by considering the E420 (here in the UK there's a bargain for body + two kit lenses + extra battery for 340 - roughly $500), changing my mind to E520 and considering Canon and Nikon and now strongly considering the E620.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:32 AM   #29

While the 4/3 and m4/3 cameras and lenses are small and light, they aren't very good at higher ISO settings, most of the lenses aren't very fast and the lenses that are fast are expensive. In addition, the autofocus systems aren't very good for skittish or indifferent subjects (wildlife or street scenes.)

The Sony A230 and Canon XS are the lightest and least expensive of the dSLRs that can do what the 4/3 and m4/3 can't. The A230 is stabilized, but the Canon XS has 'Live View'. If you can handle a little more weight, the Canon XSi is 12MP versus 10MP for the others I mentioned, and it has a better autofocus system.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:16 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiotrFr View Post
I also considered the panasonic m4/3 but the price is really unappealing.

Thanks for your comment.

I do think the E620 could do the job, but I need 1st to see how it feels in my hands. I handled the E600 the other day and it seemed alright (way better than the E420/450), although the bigger grip from the E520 felt more stable and a je-ne-sais-quoi sense of fullfilness (handling wise). Nevertheless, as far as I'm aware Olympus did increase that on the E620 so I need to find out.

Btw, I've seen JustinY's dilema in choosing the right camera and it was interesting to see how this things change someone's opinion. And I guess I had a similar dilema: I started by considering the E420 (here in the UK there's a bargain for body + two kit lenses + extra battery for 340 - roughly $500), changing my mind to E520 and considering Canon and Nikon and now strongly considering the E620.
Yes the e620 is a very small dslr. And I like that they have a pancake lens option. Ideal of packing and traveling, also the new e600 is built on the same body of the e620, but cost a bit less. I would look at it if you want to save couple of pounds.

I am in the same dilema as you, size of a travel camera is a big issue. Especially since the carry on of a plane now is a 20" trolley or backpack. That does not leave much room for some clothes and personal item for a lightweight trip and to find room for a larger camera and lens. I just can not see myself getting another dslr like a k-x or e620 for the DA limited and pancake lens. Just over kill having a 500D. So I think I will go the route JustinY did with a m4/3 and live with the compromise with lenses.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 10, 2010 at 11:29 AM.