Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 10, 2010, 12:38 PM   #41
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I read an account recently about a guy that was trying to board a plane when he was told that he was only allowed one carry-on, not two. He donned his photographer's vest and put all his gear into the different pockets, then left his camera bag behind. The airline personnel didn't mind him carrying all his gear in his clothes; he just couldn't carry a second bag.

If you need to travel light, you might consider a photographer's vest, or at least maybe clothes with a lot of big pockets.
I can almost imagine the look on the faces of security personnel if you were to just put the vest or coat down on the conveyor to go through the x-ray machine when they look and see a lot of cylinder shaped lenses in it (not realizing that they're lenses). :-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 4:38 PM   #42

I went to the store today to handle Canon and Nikon and they didn't feel that confortable.
On the other hand, the Olympus felt fine, not too big in hands.

Now I came across another camera which wasn't any of those I was considering before. The Pentax K-x with two kit lenses would cost only an additional 50 from the Olympus E600 + two kit lenses. Well, I wouldn't probably be as portable as the Oly but it seems faster (4.7fps) and it comes with HD movie mode... How would this camera perform in low light (now flash on) and is there room for growth? Is there more lens options than Oly?
PiotrFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 4:44 PM   #43

The pentax K-x will perform better in low light then the e620 or e600. That is the advantage of the asp-c vs a 4/3. And the 12800 iso is only match by the canon t1i in the high end entry level dslr market. Only thing is with the K-x it uses AA batteries, so it may be a little heavy with rechargeable nimh batteries vs the lithium of the olympus.

Only thing with the HD, you will have to dl the files to you computer, as the K-x does not have a hdmi plug to play directly to your HD tv. It also can do HDR which is a nice feature if you do not have hdr software.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 11, 2010 at 5:06 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 4:49 PM   #44

Also you can look at getting the olympus pancake lens or with the pentax their DA limited lenses. That really makes them more travel friendly.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 4:50 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Only thing is with the K-x it uses AA batteries, so it may be a little heavy with rechargeable nimh batteries vs the lithium of the olympus.
You read my mind. I guess there are always a tradeoff about high quality and portability.

Do you know if the Olympus higher end cameras (for a possible future upgrade in a couple of years time) they cope well in that consditions (low light)?
Old Jan 11, 2010, 4:58 PM   #46

The E620 can match the aps-c camera up to 800 iso, and is a bit behind at 1600 iso. So it is not that bad in low light. But the E3 is a better camera, but it will have a disadvantage against aps-c camera as 4/3 is just a smaller sensor. But that gives the olympus an advantage of being smaller for traveling. It is all about compromise. But every generation they get better, from the e520 to the e620 the low light ability got better.

I have a 500D, but on my recent trip to capetown, it was a bit big to travel with, end up bring my p&s instead. That is why I am looking at getting an Olympus ep-2 in a month or two. Also when I was getting ready to switch from film slr to a dslr. The e620 was number 2 behind the canon 500D on my list. I could work with the low light problem. Faster prime lens for low light shooting was going to be my solution. But since I had eos lenses from my eos 1, I got the 500d.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:02 PM   #47

Also, you will not outgrow the e620 for a very long time it is their top of the line "entry dlsr". Back in my film days, I had a eos 630, before I upgrade to a eos 1. It was not because I outgrew its ability but it was because I wanted to treat myself. And I had my eos 1 since 95.

I do not think I will be upgrading the 500D for a very long time unless I really want to treat myself in 5 years.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:24 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Also, you will not outgrow the e620 for a very long time it is their top of the line "entry dlsr".
Thanks for that, I'll take your word as you have the experience

By the way, I've seen some sample videos from the K-x on you tube and they're pretty good. But the ability of making movies is not the main reason for buying a DSLR camera. And for movies I'm quite happy with the movie quality of the my Ixus.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:32 PM   #49

HD in dslr in still in it's infancy. You hear the af motor when you are shooting. There is some jellying. It will get better in the next generation, I'm pretty sure they will have full hd at 1080 and not just 720 on all dslr in the next 2 generation. So it is not big of a deal yet.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 9:36 PM   #50

I've used cameras with both AA and with proprietary batteries. I don't mind either one, especially since AA batteries aren't that much heavier and I have a number of other devices that use them (flash, GPS, etc.). I just keep a couple of sets of hybrids charged (they hold their charge longer) and if I get in a crunch, I can always use the set in my flash. It's just a different mind-set but otherwise they are quite manageable (and yes, I still have and use a dSLR that uses AA batteries).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote