Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 12, 2010, 12:08 AM   #51

If you do go with a camera that uses AA batteries, get the sanyo eneloops. You will want a low discharge battery. You may want to carry 2 extra sets. Also a charger that charges each battery individually. It cost a bit more for the charger, but it will let the batteries live longer for a longer life cycle. Most charge and battery sets give you a charger that needs to recharge in pair, they are not as good. Get the battery and charge separately.

Not sure you want to experiment with NIZC, the higher voltage may not be good for the K-x. Since there were earlier issues with nimh that they needed to address with the a firmware release.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 12, 2010 at 12:12 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 1:13 AM   #52

Re: AA batteries...

I wouldn't be concerned about weight...its a minor amount. BUT one consideration I haven't heard here yet is camping. Not every camper has access to 100 volt to charge batteries. So packing a package of AA's went in the high country is simple.

And you can get solar chargers for AA bats. I purchased a small solar charger that I 'think' can charge my cell phone as well, perhaps it could charge the T1i batteries too. (I don't know what the voltage is).

Plus my gps uses AA batteries so one package can do the works...

Do any of you get off the beaten path? How do you charge them up???
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:31 AM   #53

Actually you can get a solar charger that you can plug DC chargers into for either AA batteries or the ones that come with the camera. If camping is a concern. Sorry for adding to you things to consider. And you can use it for your cellphone, also all you need to do is get a car charger with the AA or camera battery cellphone, or gps. I have a travel charger for my canon that has a car charger plug. And from work I have a 12v blanket solar charger. I can plug all my car chargers into it. Ipod, garmin, AA battery charger, and my T1i battery charger.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 12, 2010 at 9:51 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:58 AM   #54

But I think the simple solutions if you get a non rechargeable AA camera is to get 3 lithium battery for camping. That is good for 1800 photos. And most of the time, by the time you do stop and rest the sun is pretty much gone.

I you go with the AA camera, for camping just get 3 sets of the throw out lithium, they last way longer will give you about 1800 shots also. But you are throwing away 10 bucks a pair.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 31, 2010 at 4:22 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 6:07 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiotrFr View Post
I'll be aiming to shot nature/animals and city schenes. I'll also be willing to try to take some pictures at dawn/twillight of the same subjects above with no flash assistance, but for this I'm pretty sure I'd need a fast lens (would something around f2 do the trick?). Well, there's a lens for the 4/3 which cost around the same as the camera, but that is more for the medium/long run.

Here are some pictures I took with my Ixus. The image quality is good (for a P&S) and I was a bit impressed with the bokeh effect available with this type of cameras. Anyway, some of the subjects I'm interested in shooting are there.
One of the unfortunate things about olympus is that they spend so little on advertising, so people often don't know many things about it, like for example it's fast zoom lenses.

The 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 is sharper, has less distortion and less CA than any other fast zoom that costs less than 500 dollars (and the other systems basically only have the sigma lenses at this price range). Heck, you won't find a better lens with a similar range and aperture at even 1000 dollars in other brands. And while mark II costs about $450, you can buy the mark I lens used in mint condition for around $280 on ebay or on the 4/3s forums.

the 14-54mm is basically the reason I still use olympus.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 6:59 PM   #56

They are excellent lenses that olympus has. If I do get the EP-2. I will be getting the 35mm marco with the m4/3 to 4/3 adopter, for about 300 for both. Can't get a prime marco for less then 270 with any other brand. And the olympus 35mm is only 170 bucks, it is almost equal to a 50mm marco on an aps-c body. 70mm vs 80mm.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 12, 2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:10 PM   #57

New models are coming, older camera like the E-520 is heavily discounted. I have seen the 2 lenses combo deal foe $478 shipped. The price is hard to beat.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:03 AM   #58
mmp

Default A couple of considerations...

Hi thought I would weigh in here... I own the E-620 and am very happy with it. The review on this site and a couple of the (what I consider to be) non-biased sites really helped with my decision. Two things that drew me to the camera other than the size of camera and lenses (not just a pancake but how small the other lenses are as well) were image stabilization built into the camera (thus available on all lenses) and the articulating screen. As a bonus I really like the lit up buttons in low light on the back of the camera; these are not a feature on the E-600. I bought in late August and had the Pentax been out I may have considered it. Weatherproofing is the only thing that may have drawn me to another camera. If you are the type of person that is generally happy with what you own any of your choices will be good. On the other hand for many the grass is always greener...

Last edited by mmp; Jan 24, 2010 at 6:05 AM. Reason: additional info comparing the E-620 to E-600
mmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 4:47 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmp View Post
As a bonus I really like the lit up buttons in low light on the back of the camera; these are not a feature on the E-600.
Thanks for your input. I've bought the E600 and and I just realised this tiny difference
Overall I'm quite happy with the camera, I bought also an old OM 50mm f1.8 with an adaptor and it does take nice sharp pictures. I might consider in the future to buy a similar digital lens (Sigma has a nice 24mm f1.8) but at the moment I'm learning how to use the camera and lenses.
PiotrFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 4:49 PM   #60

Congrats on the new camera, enjoy it.