Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 9, 2010, 6:13 AM   #1

Default Olympus E520 vs Nikon 3000D vs Canon EOS 1000D/XSi

Hi Guys,

I've recently developed interest in Digital Photography and while I was browsing about the subject I came across this forum.

I'm considering the Olympus E520 (was considering the E420 before but it does feel a bit 'small' when handling) and the Nikon 3000D.

I've checked online and it seems that there's currently a lot of competition in this entry level market. I've handled both cameras and they seem confortable enough, altough the nikon feels slightly bigger. As far as I know this Nikon have the hedge in low light (and because of brand) but it lack of live view, which for someone who's upgrading from P&S camera to DSLR might be important to have.

I've found online the following deals:
E520 with 14-42mm and 40-150mm for less than 440
D3000 with 18-105mm for 490
D3000 with 18-55mm and 55-200mm for 470
EOS 1000D with 18-55mm (399) and separate lens of 50mm f1.8 (99)

As far as I'm aware the Nikon is better for low light shots (which I intend to take some but not exclusively) but does it mean the E520 wouldn't perform at all, doesn't it?

Also, I read somewhere that you can use old Olympus lenses (with a mount) on the E system, and as in the second hand market they are not very expensive, the limited offer in digital lenses wouldn't be much of a problem.

With regards to the Canon, i confess that I know little about, altought it's in the same category of the two others and have good reviews, but I haven't handled it.

Please share your thoughts.
PiotrFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2010, 9:22 AM   #2

Piotrfr-

Welcome to the Forum- We're pleased that you dropped by.

You have made the selection of three possible entry level DSLR cameras. The Olympus E-510 and E-520 are no longer in production and are at least a generation older. They are capable DSLR cameras, but no longer current models. It would be a wiser strategy to purchase the E-510 or E-520, two lens kit. That would provide the greatest reduction or discount on the lens prices. The used market on Olympus is actually pretty tight right now, due to a lack of inventory in the USA market. I do not see it improving in the near to mid term future. So I would advise against any plans that involved purchasing used Olympus lenses. The E-510 or E-520 DSLR cameras are competent cameras, although they are not noted for their numerically high ISO performance. Photos at and above ISO 800 will require the assistance of noise reduction software.

The Nkon D-3000 camera is a new model, introduced in the 4th quarter of 2009. It too, is a very competent DSLR camera with numerically high ISO performance up to ISO 1600. The Nikon D-3000, would retain it resale value much better than either the E-510 or E-520 cameras. The D-3000 comes with the Nikon 18-55mm VR lens and the Nikon 55-200mm VR lens that comprises the so called "two lens kit" sells for less than $(US) 200.00 here in the USA.

The Canon XS or 1000D model DSLR camera has many very good professional reviews. It comes with the Canon 18-55mm IS lens, and here in the USA, the 55-250mm IS lens sells for around $(US)250.00. It too is a very capable DSLR camera. Here in the USA, the XSi or 450D model is only about $(US) 75.00 to 85.00 additional in cost and offers a better feature tyhan the canon XS/1000D model, so it take part of the XS's market share.

Both Canon and Nikon DSLRs have excellent auto focus systems. The Olympus DSLR cameras are something like a step below Canon and Nikon when judging their DSLR auto focus system of the E-510 and E-520 cameras.

If you have not yet physically handled the Canon XS/1000D model or the Canon XSi/450D models, I urge you to do so as how a camera feels in hand and how your own hand spans the camera controls is very important indeed.

If the choice among these three cameras were up to me, I would opt for the newest of the three, the Nikon D-3000. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jan 9, 2010 at 9:27 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 10:31 AM   #3

If low light is your biggest concern the canon 1000D or if you can get the canon 450D would be the best choice in your price range.

The E520 is a very good camera but it is not as good as the canon. But it is the best price point out there right now. It takes very good photo up to 800iso but would be a bit behind the nikond d3000 and canon 1000D at 1600, not horribly behind. The e520 will give you the most features of the 3 cameras you mention.

The D3000 is ok for low light, but it is only good to 1600 iso, anything above that the D5000 would be the nikon you want to look at, as the shots will have allot of noise. It can go to 3200iso, but this camera really not happy there. Also with the nikon d3000 and d5000, you have a lenses limit. It does not accept the whole nikon and 3rd party lenses. It only uses af-s and af-i lenses with motors in the lens. And some of the lens get pricey if you want to expand your lenses. To be able to use all nikon lenses you would have to step up to the next level to the prosumer level nikon like the D90. But that is a pricey camera.

If you get a good external flash, all the camera will have no real issues in low light. But a flash is not always ideal for all saturations.

All three camera's you mention will perform quite close to each other at 1600iso, as it is really the top end of their ability. The canon 450D would be a upgrade in low light, as it will perform well at 1600iso.

If you do go with a dslr, check out this site. They have youtube workshops that are helpful to new dslr owners.

www.dslrtips.com

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 9, 2010 at 12:41 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 11:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Piotrfr-

The Nkon D-3000 camera is a new model, introduced in the 4th quarter of 2009. It too, is a very competent DSLR camera with numerically high ISO performance up to ISO 1600. The Nikon D-3000, would retain it resale value much better than either the E-510 or E-520 cameras. The D-3000 comes with the Nikon 18-55mm VR lens and the Nikon 55-200mm VR lens that comprises the so called "two lens kit" sells for less than $(US) 200.00 here in the USA.

The Canon XS or 1000D model DSLR camera has many very good professional reviews. It comes with the Canon 18-55mm IS lens (...)

[...]

Sarah Joyce

Thanks Sarah for your feedback. It was probably implicit but I didn't actually said that I am thinking of upgrading to dSLR cameras, coming from a P&S Canon Ixus 80 IS.
You've mentioned that the E520 have been terminated. Is there going to be an upgraded version like the E450 is for the E420? Even though if the product is discontinued, the lenses can be used by other Olympus cameras, isn't it?
I've been reading a lot of reviews and forums and there is so many different opinions. Apparently all these cameras are very similar in terms of quality of image and in the end I supose it's a question of tast and how it feels handling the camera.
There's also Sony 230 that also comes with two lenses and falls in the same price range as the remaining. Once again, is this a good option?

Quote:
Piotrfr-

If the choice among these three cameras were up to me, I would opt for the newest of the three, the Nikon D-3000. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
As an upgrader from P&S camera, whould the lack of live view from D3000 be an issue?

Quote:
Piotrfr-

If you have not yet physically handled the Canon XS/1000D model or the Canon XSi/450D models, I urge you to do so as how a camera feels in hand and how your own hand spans the camera controls is very important indeed.

Sarah Joyce
I'll have a look a the Canon to see how it feels.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 12:19 PM   #5
Super Moderator

in this lowest price bracket. i would also probably choose the D3000 as it seems to have retained alot of controls from its higher end bretheren and the image quality from what I have seen looks great.

the Canon XS/1000D offers similar image quality, but I was not as impressed with the build of the lowest Canon. If you were to move up to the XSi (the next model up in the Canon line) then I would heartily recommend it, as it is a big improvement over the XS.

but at this lowest price point, I like the Nikon D3000, and the Sony 230 is not a bad 2nd option as well.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2010, 12:35 PM   #6

piotrfr-

The Olympus E-620 is the current entry level DSLR camera from Olympus. It is available as a two lens kit for about $(US)640.00 here in the USA. All E-series cameras can accept the current range of Olympus lenses with minor exceptions.

If you really do not desire to move to a DSLR camera, there are lots of super zoom alternative cameras such as: the Panasonic FZ-35, the Fuji S-200EXR, and the canon SX-20.

All entry level DSLR cameras offer very good image quality. The Sony A-230 is a well priced entry level DSLR camera. It does not have LiveView, but it is very good performer and certainly worth your consideration.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 9, 2010, 12:49 PM   #7

In the beginning the lack of live view may be strange. But as you use the viewfinder more, you will see that it is the better method of framing your shot. I have live view on my canon T1i aka 500D, and I almost always use the viewfinder. I may use live view if I am setting up on a tripod shot.

But as sarah mention the upgrade to the e520 is the e620 which is a very competent camera. It is very close to both the 450D and D3000 in low light ability. And gives you allot more feature then the the d3000 and 1000d. If you were to get into dslr, the d3000 will limit your room to growth and may need upgrading sooner. With the e620 or 450d, they will allow you more room for growth.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 9, 2010 at 1:41 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 1:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
In the beginning the lack of live view may be strange. But as you use the viewfinder more, you will see that it is the better method of framing your shot. I have live view on my canon T1i aka 500D, and I almost always use the viewfinder. (...)
I would prefer indeed to have the option of live view and viewfinder so I can use in different situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
But as sarah mention the upgrade to the e520 is the e620 which is a very competent camera. It is very close to both the 450D and D3000 in low light ability. And gives you allot more feature then the the d3000 and 1000d. If you were to get into dslr, the d3000 will limit your room to growth and may need upgrading sooner. With the e620 or 450d, they will allow you more room for growth.
I'm exacly looking for a camera that can deliver room for growth and not require an upgrade too soon. But on the other hand, the E620 seem to have a slightly greater price tag than nikon/canon. If they are similar and there are more accessories for nikon/canon, wouldn't it be wiser to get these instead?
Old Jan 9, 2010, 1:43 PM   #9

The d3000 will be limiting in growth. The D5000 would be better, but the inability to accept the whole nikon lens line up hurts it. As a fast prime lens in the AF-S or AF-I line will cost you allot of money compare to the canon or olympus.

The e620 has allot of accessories and lens options for it. Including lenses form sigma and panasonic. Also the olympus kit lens is consider the best kit lens out there. Granted it is not as many as canon or nikon. But you will most likely never use all the the options out there, and you can always find something comparable for that option.

The E620 is more in line with the canon T1i and nikon D5000, as they are high end "entry level" dlsr. So the olympus will be more expensive then the D3000 and 1000d. And close to the price of the 450d aka XSi.

I almost brought the e620 back in june, but I had the eos lenses already, so it made my decision a bit easier between the e620 and canon 500D. The E620 is price well below the camera it was really design to compete against, and is packed with features.

Both the 450D and e620 are very good camera, and will give you room for growth that the true entry level camera will a bit short in this department.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 3:43 PM   #10

Well the Olympus E-620 provides a rotating LCD screen and Live View both. So there is more bang for the buck.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce