Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:38 PM   #11

Kriekira,

Thanks for the info about the aperture issue. That may hurt the GF1 a bit if I shot in raw. But I am sure when aperture X comes out in march, it will get resolved.

Need a travel camera, so smaller the better that is why the g1 and gh1 are not on my list. I have a 500D. But it is not always the best option. The ep2 and gf1 are purse and man bag carriable camera with interchangeable lenses.

The converter is a moot point with the oly, as it has a great jpeg engine. Would not need to convert raw to jpeg.

A good mf marco lens would be purchase right next to the m4/3 camera the same day. Even with dslr, the "entry level" dslr are not marco capable. That is something I expected.

Just need to decided on a good marco mf lens also.

Thank, travel is my number hobby, I do my best to see as much of the world as I can. Pretty sure the kit zoom len and a good mf marco will be all my wife needs as a travel camera. So I am pretty sure I can keep my cost down. I have a very good dslr with allot of lenses for every kind of shooting. But it is for trips where I plan to check in luggage and save my carry on for camera gear. Thanks again for all the info.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 9:42 PM   #12
Super Moderator

you may want to check into the FD mount canon lenses. they work quite well on the m4/3 system and are usually a bit cheaper than the olympus om, which are also great choices.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:03 PM   #13

I was looking at the olympus m4/3 to 4/3 adopter with a zukios 35mm marco. That may be a good set up also. But thank, I will look into the FD option.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:52 PM   #14

Have you thought about the G1? It is bigger than the GF1 but it feels more confortable handling rather than the his smaller cousin.

The GF1 would be more portable, lighter and released earlier.

Personally I think retro look of the EP2 is not so appealing, comparing to the Panasonic.

Good luck with your choice.
PiotrFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:59 PM   #15

It does not make sense to get the G1, it is really the size of the e620. It is nice, but that would pretty much give me 2 dslr size camera. I looked at the gf1 and ep-2 today at the store. The EP-2 evf is way better, in a completely different league then the GF1. The jpeg engine on the ep-2 is awesome. The GF-1 is a bit faster AF, but if I need to do action, my 500D would be my camera of choice. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 9:27 PM   #16

be sure to let us know what you decide....
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 12:02 AM   #17

You can mix and match too: EP-2 body + Panasonic 20mm F1.7. Either way you can't go wrong.

You can also start out with the GF1 and pancake lens and if not to your liking, sell off the body at a later stage and buy the EP-2 at a cheaper rate. If you like the GF1, just keep it.

I do the same thing with badminton racquets too, but at a much cheaper cost, haha!

Justin.
JustinY is offline   Reply With Quote