Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 10, 2010, 5:23 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The pentax k-x and t1i are at a different level of the dslr world compare to the A550. ...
No. The Sony A550 is an entry level dSLR, just like the K-X and the T1i. Sony's mid level dSLR, comparable to the D90 and K7, is the discontinued A700.

Yes, that's right. Sony has six entry level dSPRs (only five of which are available in the US.) See Sony A450
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 5:32 PM   #32

Look at the price point of the A550, and the size. It is a 1000+ camera like the D90 and K7 with 1 lens. Granted less the the 50d and d90, like the a380 is less then the t1i and d5000. Look at the price of the k-x and t1i, they are under $700 camera with one lens. The a380 is the camera that is marketed to compete with the t1i and k-x. Not the same class, no matter how you want to spin it. It is like all the reviews that pit the t1i against the d90, canon made a very good camera for the lower tier and indirectly everyone is giving them credit when comparing the higher end to it. Like I said I am not the one with the agenda here.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 10, 2010 at 5:34 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 5:43 PM   #33
Super Moderator

OK boys, time to stop this bickering as it won't help the OP and I would rather not close the thread.

Another review site in its review of the A550 compared against the T1i/500D, D5000 and K-7 so this must be the area they think it is positioned. The A550 did OK but not great against the competition so the decision is based on having a bit better image quality or going for a camera with things like built in HD and faster continuous shooting.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 5:44 PM   #34

no problem there
Old Jan 10, 2010, 5:51 PM   #35

Quote:
Have you looked at some of the things the OP shoots that was posted on the board. The 50mm marco will do the city-landscape without issue. So the bottom line after seeing his shots of india, and marco example. ...
Yes, I have. And none of them struck me as shots for which a 50mm focal length lens would be appropriate. Of course, absent the EXIF data, there's no way to tell for sure.

Quote:
Also the in production used lens has an advantage over a out of production used lens. If there is a repair. Parts are easier to get. With the beercan, if you can not find the part, you will need to buy another 20+ year old lens at 200 bucks. While you can bring the 28-135mm to a shop and get it fixed for about 80 bucks.
Adorama has a Minolta "Beercan' in very good condition for $149, and a Canon 28-135 IS USM in very good condition for $199. Replacing the 'Beercan' could potentially cost a total of $298. Buying and then reparing the Canon 28-135 IS for $80 could potentially cost only $279.

Touché.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 5:52 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
OK boys, time to stop this bickering as it won't help the OP and I would rather not close the thread.
Oops.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 5:54 PM   #37

can we stop already like Mark asked us nicely?

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 10, 2010 at 9:37 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 5:58 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Another review site in its review of the A550 compared against the T1i/500D, D5000 and K-7 ...
(Emphasis mine.)

I find it odd that they would compare the T1i and the D5000 to the K-7. The A550 I can see (on a stretch.)
Old Jan 10, 2010, 6:00 PM   #39
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
(Emphasis mine.)

I find it odd that they would compare the T1i and the D5000 to the K-7. The A550 I can see (on a stretch.)
Well it was the A550 review rather than a full comparison of the 4 options. The results are a bit of a mixed bag. I'm sure you can guess where to find it but PM me if you don't.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 6:02 PM   #40

It is a marketing schema. It created a sense of buyer remorse if you do not get the consumers to buy more expensive and higher end item. Very effect actually. You get people to get something that they were not out to get in the first place because it is so much better then the ones they compare it to.