Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:11 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonger View Post
I can probably get the fast 50mm prime in hong kong for about the same price as this..
sigma AF 70-300mm F4.0-5.6 DG OS
I think this also fits the sony as well. Would you recommend this lens because it would give me even further reach than the 17-70, and perhaps give me some decent close up shots aswell?
Yes, the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG OS is available for the Sony, but it's a stabilized lens, which would be good for the Canon but superfluous for the Sony since it has image stabilization in the body. For the Sony, a better chouce would be the Tamron 70-300 Di LD, which is also a 1:2 macro lens and its a lot cheaper. (I'm presuming that the Sony 70-300 'G', which is the best lens of its kind, would be outside your price range.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 6:27 AM   #52

I am wondering if both these zoom macro lenses can also second as a normalish zoom lens? like without macro selected would i be able to take similar shots to a 17-70 and/or a 70-300 lens without the macro specification?
Wonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 6:41 AM   #53
Super Moderator

Macro is just an addition and they are not 'real' macro lenses but they allow you to get closer than a non macro lens. Real macro you would be looking at a 1-1 size and as far as I know that would only be a prime lens so not zoom.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 8:39 AM   #54

Wonger,

I am in total agreement with Mark, I have 2 zoom lenses that can do marco a 28-135 and a 70-300, but the prime macro out perform them both. If Macro is really big on your list. You will want a dedicated prime macro. But the 2 lenses mention will work for normal shooting without issue.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 7:55 PM   #55

Went to sony style today to try out the A550. I liked it... but i also like the T1i. ugh its almost a coin flip but with the "steadyshot inside" I may be leaning towards the sony. And with the HDR is it automatic? like will all my shots with the sony be HDR or do I need to activate it?
Old Jan 11, 2010, 8:03 PM   #56

The HDR most likely need to be turn on as you may not want to shot in hdr all the time as it you most likely need to do bracket shooting of multiple shots. Then the camera will put the photos together to get the hdr.

Some say it is better to just do bracketed shots in the HDR threads and do the putting together on the computer for more personal editing. If you like more control software may be the way to go. But for me, I would go with in camera. I hate to do post production work.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 9:01 PM   #57
Super Moderator

the HDR is a mode, it will take 3 shots and put them together with some kind of HDR algorithm similar to what those of us that shoot cameras without in-camera HDR do in software.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:27 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
For the Sony, a better chouce would be the Tamron 70-300 Di LD, which is also a 1:2 macro lens and its a lot cheaper
Is the Sigma AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Macro DG APO a comparable lens to the Tamron? they are about the same price. Does it perform better or worse or are they about the same?
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:34 AM   #59

Both the Tamron and Sigma are slow focusing lenses but the Tamron is sharper than the sigma. So the tamron is the better product IMO
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:11 PM   #60
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonger View Post
Is the Sigma AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Macro DG APO a comparable lens to the Tamron? they are about the same price. Does it perform better or worse or are they about the same?
I'd suggest avoiding that particular Sigma lens for use with Sony dSLR models. I've seen a very unusual number of failures reported with newer Sigma 70-300mm lenses due to stripped gears when using them on some Sony dSLR models (probably due to the beefed up body based focus motor Sony started using beginning with the A200 to allow for much faster Autofocus).

I have not seen any reports of other lens models with that type of problem, Sigma or otherwise, even with 20+ year old budget Minolta lenses. IOW, I'd lean towards the Tamron instead (which tests better from an optical quality perspective anyway), as from all outward indications, the internal construction quality of that particular Sigma model is not as good for use on a camera body with a faster focus motor built in (and Sony models use a camera body based focus motor for Autofocus with those Tamron and Sigma lens models, unlike some of the same lenses offered for other camera brands, which tend to use slower lens based focus motors instead).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote