Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:05 PM   #21

Glad to help, is you mom going to Kruger nation park in South Africa?
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 12:36 PM   #22

Nech-

I have also been on a safari in Africa and I think that she would appreciate the longer (28 to 486mm) zoom of the Panasonic FZ-35 which also has a HD video and stereo sound. It does very well in automatic, and even better in the "P" for programed auto mode that works exactly like Auto. She should however, stay away from the "IA" mode.

Yes, it is a somewhat physically larger camera but it is a whole class upwards in image quality and functionality, that would do a much better job of recording that once in a lifetime experience. Handle it yourself and compare the FZ-35 and H-20 side by side for physical size and features.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 1:11 PM   #23
Super Moderator

I really wouldn't want to limit myself to 38mm for wide angle as I guess some of the views will be great and you might struggle to get them in with the H20. So if you can get to the FZ-35 or Canon SX20 I would certainly do so.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 5:42 PM   #24

Thanks for the advice - though I think the FZ-35 or Canon SX20 are too big for her... gonna need to get her to go to the store and see them....
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 5:48 PM   #25

That is a very good plan, she needs to try them out.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:45 PM   #26
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nech770 View Post
... gonna need to get her to go to the store and see them....
great plan.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nech770 View Post
Thanks for the advice - though I think the FZ-35 or Canon SX20 are too big for her... gonna need to get her to go to the store and see them....
Good plan... but understand the Panasonic FZ35 is substantially lighter than the Canon SX20. The FZ35 is 14 ounces - under a pound. The SX20 is 21 ounces - about a pound-and-a-half. Both cameras have great image quality in their class but the Panasonic might offer the best overall compromise for her. The difference between 486mm at the long of the FZ35's lens and the 560mm at the long end of the Canon's lens isn't as dramatic as you might think.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:16 PM   #28

spoke to my mom who thinks the 10x zoom is enough for her.. she wants small and the others are too big she thinks. She will be going with friends some of whom are carrying around serious gear so she says she could always get pics from them or get them to shoot something for her. She is a point and shoot kind of person.... I am gonna go with her to the store today to have her touch and feel the cameras and see which she likes, I think it is down to the canon sx200 or the fuji f70 the canon is $70-100 more so that might be a factor as well... I will keep you all posted as for me, I think I will take the plunge and get the fuji and play for a few days and if I find it is a real problem then I will return and spend the extra $$ on the canon...
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:57 PM   #29

That sounds like an excellent plan, Nech-

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:20 PM   #30

ok guys - first thanks for all the advice... went to the store and my mom liked the fuji.. she likes the smaller size. smaller than the canon and said it seems to be good... problem was the store was out of stock!!!
While we were out on our camera expedition my little one started complaining that she was not feeling well - and as we speak is asleep in my bed after throwing up... so needless to say I could not get to another camera store..
however I hope that if she is feeling better in the morning I can get to a camera store and get myself and my mom a fuji f70... she said the canon was not as comfortable to hold and the flash annoyed her..
We are not worried about video... and she leaves for safari end of feb which gives her a while to play with the camera, but she was not interested in the bigger ones.. like I said she found the canon sx200 to be too big..
yikes hear the baby waking up...
Gonna be a long night I fear...
Will keep you all posted on my adventures.