Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 10, 2010, 12:45 PM   #1

Default To Wait or not to wait

Now that I finally decided to go with the Fuji 70EXR I realized that CES is on and new cameras will be released soon...

I want at least 10x zoom and good image quality... for a point and shooter not to fuss too much with the settings past initial setup.

The question is to wait - why get last year's technology... or even better wait til the new models come out and then the current ones will be drastically reduced? If it was good now... why not in a few months... do I really need bigger and better.
I was interested in this new sony DSC-HX5V or the casio EX-FH100
has good specs...
interestingly there is nothing from Fuji and not much from canon - no sx200 replacement...
I am looking to you the experienced camera crowd to help direct me...
Thanks in advance.
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2010, 12:56 PM   #2
Super Moderator

actually i am quite interested in the HX5 as well. that may be a great little camera. the lens looks really nice, and the "G" designation means it will be silent when zooming and autofocusing. my only concern is the exmor sensor, the older exmor sensor did pretty well in low-light, but not real great in good light. i hope they have fixed that.

but bear in mind it will be nearly double the price of the f70exr
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 12:57 PM   #3
Super Moderator

My advice on this is always the same. Buy a camera when you need one, there will always be something else better coming out but if you don't get something when you are ready you will miss out on shooting with it. If you don't need something for 6 months then probably you will find something else that has even more.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 1:02 PM   #4

nech-

No, there is no replacement being offered for the Fuji F-70EXR at CES. But, The F-70EXR was introduced in the early summer of 2009. As I have worked with the F-70EXR and the S-200EXR, I have come to realize that it really does take some re-settings as the photo environment changes to get the best results.

The Sony HX-5 looks promising, but I quickly realized that it is using the Exmor CMOS imager that we saw on the Sony WX-1 introduced in the fall of 2009. Photos from the WX-1 were really soft and I ended up returning it. So I am looking forward cautiously to the HX-5 with restrained enthusiasm.

I have had great results with my Panasonic FZ-35 which I really like. It is a very able camera. I am carefully watching the Panasonic ZR-1. It has a new processor and an improved IS system, like the FZ-35, but it has a poorly performing built-in flash unit, that will have to be worked around. Size wise it is very small and compact, and has 8X optical zoom.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 5:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
nech-

No, there is no replacement being offered for the Fuji F-70EXR at CES. But, The F-70EXR was introduced in the early summer of 2009. As I have worked with the F-70EXR and the S-200EXR, I have come to realize that it really does take some re-settings as the photo environment changes to get the best results.
So given that - should I rethink the F70 - and go with the canon SX200? Which might need less playing with the settings although it is $70 more? Like I said I am willing to initially set up and change from one mode to another, but if I am busy playing with settings I will miss the many kid shots... as they don't wait for you to set your camera
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:13 PM   #6

The choice of course is entirely up to you, Nech-

But, I think the F-70EXR will take more attention that you desire to deal with to consistently produce good photos. That makes the Canon SX-200 the better choice.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:05 AM   #7

Thanks Sarah,
I think I will go into the store - now that the holiday/post holiday rush is done... and see if I can play with the 2 cameras side by side... hopefully now they will have them charged and working... every time I went in to play each store had either one or the other working but not both...
I like the idea of the F70's low light ability and it seems to be faster shot to shot, which is important... but if I will be playing with the settings all the time... then fast shot to shot doesn't help me...
also gonna get from a store with a good return policy so I am not stuck... I probably will get the fuji and play for a while and see if I find I don't like it I can return and get the canon...
That's my thought...
Old Jan 11, 2010, 9:53 AM   #8

Nech-

That sounds like a good plan.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 11, 2010, 7:49 PM   #9

Nech-

I also came across a Canon Rumor today about a possible release of a Canon SX-300 camera that would allow zooming during the HD video creation. It is supposed to be announce next month just before the PMA show.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 11, 2010, 7:54 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Nech-

I also came across a Canon Rumor today about a possible release of a Canon SX-300 camera that would allow zooming during the HD video creation. It is supposed to be announce next month just before the PMA show.

Sarah Joyce
interesting. hope they put a high sensitivity/low noise sensor in that (i think i am asking too much, and knowing canon they won't want to step on their own toes so to speak)
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote