Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:16 PM   #1

Default help me decide best cheap entry camera

hi all
i'm happy to join your forums
i want some help
i'm newbie to digital cameras , i want a point and shoot camera that take best photo as possible , and take fairly good video

what is best from these models
canon powershot A480
sony DSW-w180B
samsung ES60

or you suggest any other models for that price range
thank you for your help
wsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:48 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the forums. It looks like the A480 in your list made Steve's Best Cameras list under the Entry Level Category you'll find there, and from what I can see of it's review, it did well for a camera in that price bracket. Make sure to read the review conclusion section for cameras you consider, as that's where you'll find more information on how they stack up in various areas.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best-cameras.html

But, it doesn't like like the other models in your list were reviewed here (which doesn't mean that they're bad, it's just that an awful lot of cameras come out and sometimes they don't get reviewed).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 4:08 PM   #3

thank you for your replay
i read that canon powershot A480 doesn't support IS (image stabilization )
is this important or not
and AA battery not rechargeable battery
wsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 4:30 PM   #4
Administrator

Stabilization is a good feature, since it can let you take photos at slower shutter speeds without blur from camera shake without using a tripod or flash if light is less than optimum. But, it doesn't help with blur from subject movement if you're shooting moving subjects in low light. You'd need to use a flash for that (and then, stablizaztion really isn't needed).

When light gets too low, it's not going to help either (either you'd need to use a tripod if your subjects are not moving, or use a flash if they are), since there are limitations as to how much camera shake it can help with.

Given the choice between a model that takes nicer photos in most lighting, and a model that has stabilization but image quality isn't quite as good, your best bet would be to go with the model that has better image quality in most lighting. IOW, you can't always have every feature around in a lower priced model, and you'll have to decide the features that are more important to you, in the way you'd normally use a camera.

As for AA batteries, you can buy rechargeable high capacity NiMH batteries and use those instead of Alkaline batteries. That's usually a good idea instead of replacing batteries on a more frequent basis.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 6:35 AM   #5

I like the Powershot A series cameras. I've had 2 of them. Outdoors in good light, they are excellent. Indoors, they are still pretty good. The only thing I find irritating is the lag between shots, which can be minimized by not using the flash and using better AA batteries.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 8:51 AM   #6

wsco-

In the below $100 market niche, you must understand these will not be feature rich cameras. They will be cameras that take good photo in good lighting. The Canon A-480 which is selling for $89.00 plus shipping is the best of the inexpensive cameras.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote